Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 02:39:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from (surprisingly) sunny Wales!  (Read 1312 times)
MikeMonster
MikeyMonster

2008 m696 (White)

« on: November 18, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »

Thought I should post an intro as I just joined.

Based in Wales & Bristol (live in one, work in the other), and recently bought an '08 m696, so figured it'd be good to join this forum.

Getting back into riding after, hmmm 6 or 7 years of not being on a bike!

Last bike was a CBR900 RRT, bike before that was a naked SV650. After the blade, I felt like the next bike should be a twin again (love that sound! always thought the SV sounded nicer than the blade, I like my bikes with more of a GRUNTY-ROAR sound, than a higher pitched whine. And the torque...).

Went with the Monster partly because I wanted a twin that had a low seat position (I'm a short arse), wasn't too heavy, and I wanted something different to the SV650. Plus, well, I think Monsters look amazing, sound great, and (I hoped as hadn't ridden one) handled well.

Been out a couple of times on the bike and pleased to say I f3ck!ng love it! (hardly rode it for the first 3 or 4 days of owning as I came down with bad 'manflu' and felt like crap for a few days. Today was the first 'proper' little ride-out and absolutely loved it.

Taking the bike to be checked out and have an oil change on Tuesday (booked in a Louigi Moto for a once-over and oil change as they seem to have good rep), and looking forward to riding the bike (will be riding through the winter, except for days that are VERY bad).

Anyways, that's my rambling intro, cheers!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »

Good to hear that you recovered after the nasty manflu. It's a much underrated and actually quite a serious illness. Needs more funding for the next level of research.

Even better that you are close to 'Louigi'. An experience in itself/himself  waytogo

Welcome  chug

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
MikeMonster
MikeyMonster

2008 m696 (White)

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »

Good to hear that you recovered after the nasty manflu. It's a much underrated and actually quite a serious illness. Needs more funding for the next level of research.

Even better that you are close to 'Louigi'. An experience in itself/himself  waytogo

Welcome  chug

Cheers!  chug

Yer... the manflu was bad Sad The sofa managed to sustain me through the hard times though, and I'm thankfully well enough to crack open a single malt now, so strength must be returning Wink

Yer, I read a few threads on various forums and anywhere I saw Louigi's mentioned, seemed to be high-praise... So figured it wise to take the bike to get checked over as I bought s/hand.  

One thing I asked them to look at especially, the clutch lever only disengages when it's practically at the end of being let out - and pulling it in again, it engages almost as soon as I start to squeeze the lever in... So it's super-high position. Rich said if I'm lucky it'll just need bleeding... But I'm preparing myself psychologically for needing a new clutch just in case, lol.

Anyways - cheers for the welcome!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »

Bleeding is good and might help (he probaly does that on second hand bikes along with brake fluid, belts, maybe tires and oil)

The clutch is like that. It's a Ducati thing from back when every bike was built with the same 'racing' idea; short clutch = quick gear changes. The engagement point can be adjusted a little bit, but only by a mechanic who knows how. He does. Or by getting adjustable levers.

I live in Norway and can't use his services, but met him in Misano during World Ducati Week and from his attitude and knowledge would trust him without reservation.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
MikeMonster
MikeyMonster

2008 m696 (White)

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »

Bleeding is good and might help (he probaly does that on second hand bikes along with brake fluid, belts, maybe tires and oil)

The clutch is like that. It's a Ducati thing from back when every bike was built with the same 'racing' idea; short clutch = quick gear changes. The engagement point can be adjusted a little bit, but only by a mechanic who knows how. He does. Or by getting adjustable levers.

I live in Norway and can't use his services, but met him in Misano during World Ducati Week and from his attitude and knowledge would trust him without reservation.

Ahhh thanks for the info! Less worried now Wink Must admit I did get used to the position pretty quickly and once I got used to not pulling the lever in all the way anyway 'in case', it did make for quicker gear flicks! So long as not worn/slipping, I'll get used to the position. I guess I just want to know all's as it should be really.

Good to hear re: your comments about Richard.

Never been to Norway, but from what I've seen, scenery looks stunning!
GK

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »

Welcome.

I’m a short bloke too and the Monsters fit the bill well.

Nothing quite like the sound and feel of an V/L twin.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: