Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:00:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike tries to start after key shut off and kill switch engaged...  (Read 2353 times)
Bobino

2001 S4

« on: November 15, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »

I have 2001 Monster S4 and after I shut if off today by turning the key off, the starter kept going trying to start it and continued even when I engaged kill switch.  Finally stopped when the battery died.  Has anyone ever had a similar problem?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 04:40:10 AM »

More than likely the solenoid is stuck closed.  Disconnect battery ground cable.  Take an ohmmeter and go from big cable to big cable on the solenoid.  Got continuity?  You need a solenoid.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »

Also check that the starter switch cluster isn't screwed so tight onto the handlebar so as to slightly distort the cluster body and stop the start button from releasing properly.

2015 Scrambler 800
Bobino

2001 S4

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:19:36 PM »

I don't know what the schematic looks like for this bike, but wouldn't the ignition off and key removed interrupt the circuit for this.  Even with a bad solenoid switch, it seems like the ignition being turned off should have stopped this. 
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »

A fused solenoid will crank the starter with igniton off. The motor will turn over with no spark or injector activity with direct battery power. It won't run but crank until either the battery dies or the starter burns out.

With a cluster switch issue, the starter will stop when the ignition is turned off.

Follow Howie's suggestion as the solenoid can jam on via corrosion or "spot welding". Just follow the cables from the battery to the solenoid along to the starter by eye, a strong, direct power supply.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:35:22 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Bobino

2001 S4

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 03:09:43 AM »

Well, I got around to checking the solenoid switch today and it is fine...  Replaced the dead battery and everything is okay, for now.  I am assuming maybe the solenoid switch was stuck and now it is unstuck?  Who knows.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 05:25:16 AM »

They do that.  If it happens again the way to stop it is undo the negative battery cable.  And what koko64 said about the starter switch should be checked too.  It just needs to be tightened enough to not move.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »

If you have a good battery and a robust charging system, a stuck solenoid on a running bike can run the starter until something dies.
Customer just brought one in a few months ago.
Big Gen1 AGM battery was up to the task, as was the 3-phase charging system.
It ran the starter until it hucked some windings, wherupon it jammed, and the big wire terminal burnt in two.
That stopped the insanity.

Late model OEM solenoid has a nice pigtail and plug, not that miserable white 2-prong plug/socket.
Eastern Beaver maybe has the mating plug and bits?

Any electrical types out there.... can one put a circuit breaker in the path or some other device, maybe something a little smart?

Can that solenoid be replaced with giant transistor?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »

You would need onehelluba big circuit breaker, like, maybe the main breaker for your house.  AFAIK, there is no transistor that can handle that amperage at 12 volts.

You could do something primitive like this:

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/44075/Battery-Isolator-Switch/
Bobino

2001 S4

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »

Well, the bastard did it again.  At least this time I was home and was able to get the battery disconnected.  Ordered a solenoid switch.  I like that primitive battery key switch from waytekwire that Howie posted.  Don’t know where I’d mount it though... I appreciate the input from everyone.
NAKID

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »

Well, I got around to checking the solenoid switch today and it is fine...  Replaced the dead battery and everything is okay, for now.  I am assuming maybe the solenoid switch was stuck and now it is unstuck?  Who knows.

Happened to my S2R800 years ago. I had to remove the cable to the starter. I happened a couple times, but then just stopped happening.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Bobino

2001 S4

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »

Happened to my S2R800 years ago. I had to remove the cable to the starter. I happened a couple times, but then just stopped happening.

Did you do anything at all to fix the problem?  Or, did it just completely go away on its own?  I am going to replace my solenoid switch but, I am a tiny bit worried that it'll come back again even with the new switch.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »

The problem is not all that common.  Never happened in over 80K miles and 13 tears on my old seven fiddy.  This can happen on any vehicle, usually as the result of many starts with a low battery.  Low voltage can cause arcing and excessive heat.  More common on motorcycles than cars.  Smaller part, smaller return spring.  Replace the solenoid and  Dolph
NAKID

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »

Did you do anything at all to fix the problem?  Or, did it just completely go away on its own?  I am going to replace my solenoid switch but, I am a tiny bit worried that it'll come back again even with the new switch.

Nope, never did a thing. Just never happened again...  Huh?

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Qomomoko

Return of the Yoga

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »

My bikes has some starting issues.. but to not digress too much::
I am looking to replace the solenoid switch for my 2002 Duc Monster S4, part 397.4.001.1B.

To avoid spending $150 on an eom solenoid, what aftermarket options are there? I did search revzilla, bike bandit, ca cycle works and no go. Ricksmotorsporteletric website also had nothing. Found a universal from revival cycle website and looks ok.

I am replacing the starter cables from motolectric. I fried my starter a couple of years back and also fried my regulator. Regulator is no a  mosfet type, new starter, Shorai battery that does hold voltage above 13V and above 11.5v on a start. LOL... so much for a short story LOL. The issue is on cold days it takes several start attempts for  bike to start. I do warm the battery and give it time to recover after warm up. Think the new start cables will solve main issue, but figured might as well replace an almost 20 year old part that has seen abuse.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: