Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:41:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M900/S4 fork swap. whole leg or internals?  (Read 732 times)
cmross13

« on: November 07, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »

i know i have been posting a lot of questions lately lol, but i have been getting bombarded with ideas on how to improve on my winter restoration project(2000 M900ie), and keep finding great deals on parts.

i can pick up a set of S4 forks for $100, but one of the upper legs has some rash on it. also, the steer tube is bent/cracked and so will need to either:

1: disassemble both forks and reassemble in my clean upper legs

2: grind down the rash, slap a sticker on it, and install with my stock triple clamp or some sort of aftermarket solution

any ideas?

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »

Are your existing '00 M900 forks adjustable Showas?

And if so, are the outer/upper legs the same length as those S4 forks?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
cmross13

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

no its a base model M900ie, not the "S"

as far as i have found online, they are pretty well interchangeable, i would just like to use the nice clean uppers from mine, or possibly even send mine out for anodizing and reassemble. while comparing both parts manuals i have found that some of the seals are interchangeable, so i know at least the lowers are the same diameter.

i havent done any manual labor yet, but i feel like if i remove the top nuts off my stock showa i might be able to use the uppers. worst case scenario is the grinder and sticker approach lol

hoping someone with experience chimes in

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »

If they are Showas with 43mm sliders, the fork caps are the same thread size as the S4 forks.

The upper/outer tubes must be the same length as the S4 stuff if you're planning on swapping internals.
There are different length outers so beware.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: