Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 01:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DSS cush drive "pins" fall out?  (Read 1607 times)
cmross13

« on: November 07, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

so i recently acquired a set of nice S4 wheels for my winter M900 project and when i got home i noticed that the sprocket had fallen out. the bolts/pins are in place on the sprocket, and the rubber is in place on the wheels, but they just kinda slide together relatively easily.

this doesn't seem right to me? lol

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »

As long as the steel bushing is still in the rubber, and the rubber is intact, it's right.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »

If some of the small inner steel bushings are gone, make sure that they have not fallen down into the spokes.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
cmross13

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »

so they are supposed to come apart like this?!? what keeps the sprocket from walking around when the bike is moving?

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »

Exactly like that. waytogo

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »

That wheel will not fit the OEM small axle setup of an M900.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
cmross13

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:19:26 AM »

I’m aware of that. However, SKF makes a bearing with the correct ID and OD to use a 17mm axle, it’s just 2mm wider. Might try it as is, might have machine shop cut 2mm off the inside lip. Don’t know why this is such a big secret.

Still don’t understand what keeps the sprocket from moving in/out while the bike is rolling though?

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 04:13:19 AM »

I’m aware of that. However, SKF makes a bearing with the correct ID and OD to use a 17mm axle, it’s just 2mm wider. Might try it as is, might have machine shop cut 2mm off the inside lip. Don’t know why this is such a big secret.

Still don’t understand what keeps the sprocket from moving in/out while the bike is rolling though?
It's no secret. Most people don't feel it's worth it.

Think about your question. The sprocket carrier sits on the wheel, so it can't go farther to the right than the wheel can go.

When assembled correctly there is a wheel spacer between the sprocket carrier and the swing arm, and the whole assembly is locked down by the axle in between the sides of the swing arm. Where can it go?

perspective

cmross13

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 05:02:46 AM »

It's no secret. Most people don't feel it's worth it...

...When assembled correctly there is a wheel spacer between the sprocket carrier and the swing arm...

I guess most people don’t want to swap wheels either. To me, cutting a spacer down 2mm or cutting the wheel 2mm per side(if needed)and sleeve 4mm isn’t a big deal. It’s a $30 machine shop job after all.

As for the sprocket/Cush/spacer ordeal, this is the information I didn’t know about lol. Obviously I haven’t removed the wheels myself or I would’ve known there was a spacer between the sprocket and swingarm lol. I have never pulled a sprocket from a DSS bike, only SSS models.

Thank you for the information. I’m liking this forum more and more every day Wink

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »

I don't know where you live, but most machine shops I'm familiar with charge $30 to open the door. Tongue

perspective

cmross13

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 06:26:01 AM »

I don't know where you live, but most machine shops I'm familiar with charge $30 to open the door. Tongue

you probably don't spend $15k a week at the machine shop though Wink a perk of my business/industry

i think my plan is to just use the SKF 17x47x12 Cam Rollers and have him cut me 17mm spacers out of tool steel.

option B would be to use the SKF 17x47x14 Deep Groove bearings and cut the wheel down 2mm per side, and either use/mod stock axle spacers or have those made too Wink

if all else fails, i'll have the swingarm channels cut to 25mm and use 25mm axle/spacers/chain adjusters

yes, i really want the S4 wheels on my M900 lol

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:26 AM »

It doesn't sound like you've had your rear wheel off yet. Just be aware that the spacer between the swingarm and the cush drive/sprocket carrier is cone shaped. Pay close attention to the orientation.

perspective

cmross13

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »

That is correct I have not had it off the M900 yet. The bike is 100mi away at my buddies shop and I work too much to just buzz down there so I’m trying to plan ahead and order as much stuff as possible and just do a LOT of work all at once.

I figured once I tear it apart I will try to reuse all the 17mm/3 spoke stuff except for the wheel itself and the bearings & sleeve between them. Once I get it all disassembled I will figure out if the next step is a 12mm bearing or 14mm bearing and machine work, and either a custom sleeve or maybe an ST 17mm unit.

Once again, thank you all for your input.

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »

Keep in mind the '25mm axle' wheel's rim is ~4mm offset relative to the hub compared to the 17mm axle.
So you'll need to sort that out too, as well as chainline, brake caliper hanger, etc.

You're doing it the hard way, but have at it!  waytogo

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

cmross13

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »

turns out it was a free job. AND, i found the proper 17x47x12 SKF bearings afterall Wink

now its off to powdercoat with the other one and the frame and a truck load of other stuff lol

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: