Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 11:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maintenance and ownership cost  (Read 2252 times)
emlupi

« on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »

I’m a potential Monster owner and I am trying to get the straight story concerning maintenance of the Ducati Monster 796. Specifically the 2012 ABS model. I have heard many grumblings over maintenance costs on Ducati machines. I intend to do the regular maintenance items myself. I still hear complaints about parts costs and expensive specialty tools required.

I currently own a vintage 1972 Honda CB750K2 on which I do all the maintenance and repair. So, I have the necessary skills to maintain a motorcycle. I would imagine that a 46 year old bike with 4 carbs and points ignition is more finicky to maintain than a modern fuel injected twin.

So, what’s the real story on this topic? Are the maintenance complaints exaggerated or are the rumors accurate? I’m looking to get a good handle on what I’m getting myself into.

Thanks for your assistance
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:23:10 AM by emlupi » Logged
d3vi@nt

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:41:52 AM »

Dealership costs can be high. Oil change is a good example; dealer charges $100/hr and charges .5 hour increments. Means $50 just for labor. They charge $17 for a filter. You can get the K&N filter online for less than $11. Local dealer only uses Motul oil, which is one of the more expensive. Total price for an oil change is approaching $150. Dealer charges almost $150 for 4 NGK plugs for my MTS. I get the same plugs at the parts store for less than $50.

I think a lot of the grumblings stem from these things.

You can go here and grab an owners manual: http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

That will give you a good idea of the maintenance requirements. You can call around and get some quotes, or build your own parts list and shop around for a good idea of costs involved.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:50:02 AM by d3vi@nt » Logged

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
emlupi

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. As I stated in my earlier post , I do all the regular maintenance tasks myself . Oil changes and plugs, etc are not a problem.

I was thinking more along the lines of valve adjustment and cam belt replacement. I’m used to doing valve adjustment on rocker and tappet valves but have no experience with desmo type. I guess I’ll have to do a little more homework.
Thanks again

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »

Cam belt changes are relatively easy but potentially catastrophic if done incorrectly. Many here do their own valve adjustments and the first time can be difficult, but I would rather service Desmodue valves than those on a GSXR any day.
The older models require more regular valve adjustments and for riders who only rack up a few thousand miles a year the valves may only require servicing and belts changed every two years.
Quality aftermarket belts at affordable prices are available from our sponsors. K&N and other companies supply air filters and your local auto shop can get the plugs you need. Cross referencing with auto parts brands is a cheap way to do it but stay with Moto specific oils and oil filters.
The Desmotimes manuals are very helpful as a supplement to oem and Haynes manuals. IMO two valve air cooled bikes are easier to maintain than water cooled Japanese bikes it's just that they require more frequent attention.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:27:42 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
emlupi

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »

Thanks Koko, that’s very much what I was thinking. I am well aquatinted with the needs of an air cooled motor which requires frequent maintenance. The SOHC Honda calls for oil change at 1500 miles and valves, ignition timing, points gap, etc. at 3000 miles. I will split time between the two bikes which will stretch out the intervals for both.
I appreciate the responses from the folks here. Thanks
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »

No worries waytogo and welcome chug

2015 Scrambler 800
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »

Let me add this.

Pretty much everyone who complains about the service cost of M796, are ...

Beginner (this is their first bike (seriously, some people pick up this as their first motorcycle), or they have less than 10 years of motorcycle experience.)
So, they think it is too expensive, compare to the maintenance cost of their Civic, Prius, or whatever they are driving.

Mechanically inept

Too soft (I don't have time, energy, space, blah blah, blah ...)

Thus, they take the their bike to the dealership, and ask them to do EVERYTHING. ( I was told from the local Ducati dealer's manager, I am one of the VERY FEW  people who come to the shop to buy consumable parts, to do my own maintenance, most of the customer these days don't even clean the drive chain, (yes, they do ask the shop to clean the chain). So, go figure.

Also, let me tell you this example.

Yamaha V star, which is a basic cruiser, there's no bodywork, so it must be easy to work on, and low cost to maintain, right?

Well, just to check the valve clearance on this thing, you will have to remove the seat (not so bad), fuel tank and speedpometer (What? Who came up with this stupid idea to mount the speedo on top of the tank?)

AND, intake manifold and carbs ... royal pain in the b*&t.

If you do it yourself, you'd spend half of the day(or more.)
If you don't have time / energy / space / tools and skill, you have to take it to the shop and it would be 4.5 to 5- hour job, which (with today's shop labor rate) would be roughly  $500 job in LABOR CHARGE ALONE.

Genuine Ducati parts may be a little bit more expensive than Japanese brand ones, but not so much.

By the way, K2 is cool.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:26:11 AM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
emlupi

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »

Yeah, I’m beginning to get the same impression. As far as I can tell there doesn’t seem to be anything overly complicated or exotic about the 2-valve air cooled engine. The specific design and method of the desmo valve system is different than the rocker and tappet system on my old CB but the idea is the same. I believe the reputation stems from people who don’t understand or have the notion to attempt undertaking any of the maintenance items associated with their bikes.
Thanks for your input. If I can figure out how to load pictures on here I will show you my old classic CB750. Still running strong but, alas, just beginning to weep a little oil from around its 46 year old head gasket. It will be time for a top end rebuild before too long. Yes, I will be taking care of that myself as well.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:05 AM »

The Desmo design is quite elegant and you'll really appreciate it when you work on it. It accounts for much of the engine character. Take note of cam binding Vs bearing drag when trying to get the closer shim clearances spot on. That Desmotimes supplemental manual is a great source of anecdotal info.

2015 Scrambler 800
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »

Having my monster for 10yrs now, Id say that at least 90% of my ownership costs are me bying unnecessary "upgrades" versus actual maintenance. As others have said, if you can do all the basic stuff yourself it's not that much money. But how bad do you want to get rid of the catalytic converter, and what are you willing to spend on some shiney new thingamabobbers. That's where they get you.

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »

Yeah, and it don't help with a bunch of enablers here Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
emlupi

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »

Thanks all, I appreciate the help. Going up to take a look this weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: