Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:18:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Tank 2000 Monster 900  (Read 2543 times)
Allaband

« on: November 04, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »

Hello, my 2000 Monster 900ie has a tank with lots of damage and Bondo. I bought it that way. Looks good but it was obviously an extensive repair. I'm starting to get gas smell and noticed some white crud on the bottom lip of the tank. I think the fuel is melting it's way through somewhere. I'd like to just get a good tank to solve this issue but I can't find one. I looked through the forum and it seems I can ONLY use a tank from a 2000 or 2001 Monster 900ie. ANYTHING else will not fit. I'm having trouble finding such a tank. Other tanks are $200 to $300 and that seems reasonable. If my dreams come true I'd like a black tank with no dents or rust. I'm guessing I can use all my tank internals and cap so I just need the tank. Can anyone help me with sources?

Thanks!
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 02:13:49 AM »

Ducati Depot in US and Ducatishack in Australia come to mind.

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 04:47:00 AM »

I believe any steel fuel injected Monster tank will work.  There is a shape difference on the bottom of the 4 valve tanks.

Anyway, read on:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=541.0
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:08:18 AM by howie » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »

The '00 and '01 M900 had a unique layout under the tank, with the upright wet-cell battery and 15M ECU.

I've checked my usual cross-model-fitment source, and it's telling me things that I know are not true (IE, '02 S4 tank = '02 M750 tank -> nope)
It *may* be saying that the later fuel injected tanks are back compatible to the '00 and '01 M900.
I'm skeptical of that, but have not tried it.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »

For sure the 750 tank will not fit the S4.  Other way around?  Don't know

The only safe bet without having one to try is compare part numbers here:
http://www.ducatiusa.com/services/maintenance/index.do
excluding the last three numbers which designate color, ex. 1 586.1.031.2AB Fuel tank (BLACK)

How do I know about this?
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76793.0
Thank you Speeddog!
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the fuel tanks are backwards compatible up to the plastic tanks. The fuel line locations are slightly different, but the tank bottoms are otherwise not visibly different.

Plastic will not replace steel.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the fuel tanks are backwards compatible up to the plastic tanks. The fuel line locations are slightly different, but the tank bottoms are otherwise not visibly different.

Plastic will not replace steel.

But steel will replace plastic!

waytogo

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »

waytogo
It can...with enough pieces. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Allaband

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »

I was reading through that "all about fuel tanks" thing and I think it says I can use ANY monster fuel tank from 2002 to 2004. Is that true? That actually opens up A LOT of options for me. I have a few tanks to choose from if I can use ANY monster tank from 2002, 2003, or 2004.

Thanks again for all the info and help everyone!
cmross13

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 01:49:07 AM »

i just got out of this same boat with my 2000 M900ie. all of my VERY thorough investigation lead me to just pay the premium and buy a near-new 2001 M900ie tank(still has the safety sticker below the fuel filler). shame im just going to strip it and recolor, but my dime i suppose lol

that being said, i bought my bike with two functioning but ugly tanks. i have a yellow one with a small dent but some rust inside that i think could easily be treated with CLR, POR15, or maybe even just sloshing fresh fuel around in it. for the right price i can have my body guy pop the dent, clean the inside, and spray it any color you like.

the other one has no internal issues, but two bigger dents. same scenario, im sure we could pull them and recolor it, if you want to pay the price for a like new tank.

i will be doing this anyway, and charging a bit of a premium for it as they will both essentially be "new" tanks paint to order.

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 06:25:10 AM »

It can...with enough pieces. Wink

Yes, yes.... Minor bits. Fuel pump, hinge, etc...  Grin

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »

There's a shop in Reseda that has a few different tanks that could be test fit on a bike to check.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
GK

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »

waytogo

The riddle of steel!

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Allaband

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 10:49:29 PM »

I finally bought a plastic tank. It was $250 and had the fuel pump and flange still in it. Luckily it just plugged in and worked! Unfortunately I'm left with two problems. The hinge at the back of the tank is quite different for metal or plastic. I'm looking all over ebay and can't find the hinge for a plastic tank. Does anyone have one or know where I can find one? The second problem is that my handlebars bump the plastic tank. I'm guessing this could be due to the tank not being properly mounted at the rear hinge. Any advice here would be helpful.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone!
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »

The hinge for the plastic tank should be available from a dealership. I have a picture somewhere, and will post it if I can find it... Also, You are going to want to coat the plastic tank inside, if you haven't already.

Lastly, once you remove the hinge for the metal tank, the plastic tank will sit pretty close to where it belongs. If the plastic tank is used, it may have swollen enough for the handlebars to bump the tank.... Hope that is NOT the case.  waytogo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: