Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 05:07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair Manual for 2000 M900 needed (leaking gear thingy under valve belts)  (Read 2669 times)
Allaband

« on: October 30, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »

Hello, I have a 2000 Monster 900ie with an oil leak. I need to find a good repair manual to show me how to fix it. Can anyone recommend a repair manual or lead me to a link for one? I got a digital repair manual from the previous owner but it's in 4 languages and pretty much impossible to decipher.

Or, maybe someone can help me find a tutorial for this specific job? The leak is coming from under that main valve belt gear. The central gear that turns both valve belts. I assume I just need to pull off the belts, remove that gear, and replace an oil seal under there. I'm guessing it's not a terribly hard job but I want to make sure I do it right. I'll replace the valve belts at the same time because I'm not sure how old they are and I'm liberal with the throttle.

Thanks for any help!
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:13:08 AM »

You can get a Haynes manual and Desmotimes desmodue supplement manual. You will need special tools like castle nut sockets, torque wrench, and pulley holder. Our sponsors may be able to point you in the right direction for tools. HDESA (hope I got that right) also provide special tools.

Do a search here as someone did this job not that long ago.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:17:32 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Spain
'07 695, '13 1100 evo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 05:57:45 AM »

I can't take the credit for creating the walk-through, just for holding on to a good tutorial. Name is credited in the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AmfypdwafvUThwO2qtK6cYUen-EHtN7Z/view?usp=sharing
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »

Did a fast review of that link, and it's pretty good.

I've not seen that seal staked on any bike I've had on my table.
Someone staked his, but it's not a common thing for sure.

CAUTION
The ringnut on that pulley is very tight, and it *absolutely* needs to be.
If that nut gets loose, it will QUICKLY wallow out the keyways on that shaft.
In ~10 years, I've seen 3 examples of this, 100% correlation, and *zero* examples of damaged keyways when the nut is tight.
At that point, you can either:
A) Notice that the bike isn't running so well due to random valve timing, and find the problem.
B) Not notice, and keep riding until the valves start hitting pistons and hammer a bunch of other stuff too.

Either way, replacement of a ruined layshaft requires removing the motor and splitting the cases.
It may be obvious, but I'll confirm it.
That's an expensive repair.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
GK

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »

I had this layshaft seal leak last year. It took me a while to nail down the source of the leak.

I wasn’t confident enough to have a crack at it, so I got a good mechanic to do it.

That tutorial looks good. I didn’t see that last year.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »

This was my version of a leaking seal  Shocked

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »

This was my version of a leaking seal  Shocked

Damn, you're hard on equipment. Tongue

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »

Damn, you're hard on equipment. Tongue

Not at all  Evil  It was just that version of my engine's way of telling me where the limit is for a lightened, balanced, almost pure race tuned and willingly red lining small case engine. Maybe the worst was how throttle responsive it was - from 1 to 100 hp in a split second - NO hesitation.

Besides the value (?) of this thread jack: check while you're there  waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »

Hello, I have a 2000 Monster 900ie with an oil leak.

The leak is coming from under that main valve belt gear. The central gear that turns both valve belts. I assume I just need to pull off the belts, remove that gear, and replace an oil seal under there. I'm guessing it's not a terribly hard job but I want to make sure I do it right. I'll replace the valve belts at the same time because I'm not sure how old they are and I'm liberal with the throttle.

Thanks for any help!

I had that same seal leak on an 07 s2r 1K, almost same engine; (100 more cc's; and probably some more horses too Evil); I needed the valves serviced and before that belts replaced; the mechanic said it was a 10 minute job after the belts and covers are off; so let him do it all; cost more - but piece of mind.

you will need special castle nut tool
and torques (and locktight? )
belts back on correctly etc;
may be better to pay the expert mechanic, with so many items to do spacificly well ... and as per  speeddogs cautions ...

Post and let us know how it goes; I'm home mechanically inclined; and have found sometimes it just ain't worth the worry.

CAUTION
The ringnut on that pulley is very tight, and it *absolutely* needs to be.
If that nut gets loose, it will QUICKLY wallow out the keyways on that shaft.
In ~10 years, I've seen 3 examples of this, 100% correlation, and *zero* examples of damaged keyways when the nut is tight.
At that point, you can either:
A) Notice that the bike isn't running so well due to random valve timing, and find the problem.
B) Not notice, and keep riding until the valves start hitting pistons and hammer a bunch of other stuff too.

Either way, replacement of a ruined layshaft requires removing the motor and splitting the cases.
It may be obvious, but I'll confirm it.
That's an expensive repair.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:45:57 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
Allaband

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »

This is great info, thanks everyone! I got the Haynes manual for $25 on ebay and read through the tutorial. Doesn't seem like a tough job. When I get around to it I'll research those special tools. Can anybody give me a good source for that seal?

Also, what is a good source for the two valve belts? I've seen them listed for $150 to $200. I'm not sure what name/quality/price I should be looking for.

Thanks again!
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »

Sponsors Monsterparts and Motowheels have belts.

2015 Scrambler 800
Allaband

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »

I found the belts at Motowheels for $42 each! That's great! I don't see them at monsterparts though.

Can anyone help me find the seal that goes under that pulley? I can't find the part number anywhere.

How do you guys hold that pulley while you crank off that nut? The manual says to use an old belt wrapped around the pulley and clamped with vice grips. That sounds hokey to me. Any other ideas?

Also, I'm supposed to replace that nut right? It's a single tightening item right?

Thanks again for all the help!
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 07:20:25 AM »

Belts:
https://monsterparts.com/products/exactfit-timing-belt

You can download parts catalogue and owners manual here:
http://www.ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

Pricing available online here, gives an idea of what OEM parts cost at a dealer:
https://www.ducatiomaha.com/search

koko64 and spain posted early in this thread on tools, etc.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Allaband

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »

Thanks for the info Speeddog.

I still can't find the seal in the parts catalogues. I can't find it anywhere. It's not in the write-up or my manual. I'll call some dealers tomorrow but if anyone has info on that seal I'd love to have it.

The write up mentions this tool "Factory seal tool for shaft #88700.5749". It looks like some kind of shaft that goes over the real shaft. In the pictures you can't even tell the tool is on there except that you can no longer see the threads of the shaft (the tool makes it looks like a cone shape). Can anyone tell me what this thing does and if I need it? My manual doesn't mention it. I can't figure out what it's for, why I should use it, or where I can get it.

I found the tool for holding the elastic stop ring nut, it's $35. I might try to make something instead. Has anyone found a way around this without spending $35 for a single use tool or grinding down a socket?

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Turning the engine, in some places I see a tool recommended, in other places I read that I should just put the bike in gear and turn the rear wheel until I get to top dead center. Can I do it with the rear wheel so I don't have to buy another tool?
Allaband

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »

Is it the "Layshaft Seal 93041232A" ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: