Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 07:42:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well I really wanted a Monster... I almost got one!  (Read 27666 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »

Yeah, a TM38 245 main jet is closer to a BDST 145 according to Powerbarn. The bigger number must be the flow rate size. Interesting point about quality control.

Buzzer. A thought, since you can fab up your manifolds, ever considered TM 38's on custom manifolds? They are a horizontal flatslide carb so need Malossi style manifolds. While not having an accelerator pump, they have a choke/starting circuit and are cheap for a flatslide. I know of someone who bored them out to 40-41mm for a 900SS.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:32:45 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 06:23:47 AM »

Yeah, a TM38 245 main jet is closer to a BDST 145 according to Powerbarn. The bigger number must be the flow rate size. Interesting point about quality control.

Buzzer. A thought, since you can fab up your manifolds, ever considered TM 38's on custom manifolds? They are a horizontal flatslide carb so need Malossi style manifolds. While not having an accelerator pump, they have a choke/starting circuit and are cheap for a flatslide. I know of someone who bored them out to 40-41mm for a 900SS.

I have coincided some alternative carbs, but I am not that bothered about ultimate power, its a road bike, so more interested in torque, hence the long manifolds.  though I would see what the Mikuni's are like first

Here is the engine finished.  I have welded some lugs on the sides of the inlet manifolds so they can be bolted together.  the rod sticking out the top of the carbs is a rubber support mounting which bolts to the frame

few days off now until the frame comes back

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »

Yes, the long manifolds are great for a street motor, the incredible grunt letting you run a gear higher along twisty roads. I've been riding big bore desmodue motors for over twenty years and still occasionally change down a gear more than needed. I can still be pleasantly surprised at how the motor pulls out of a hole.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:38:39 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »

so the rebuild starts...  the frame is back from the powder coaters and once again its a fantastic job.  we have several companies local, but their performance in the past has been nothing but shocking!  Instead I chose to travel a 40 mile round trip to Redditch Shotblasters as they are simply the best I have found for powder coat.  the finish and attention to detail on the frame is amazing. 

buzzer

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 02:32:50 AM »

As an aside from bike building I have been doing some work on my old milling machine...  A while ago I treated myself to a new one, well almost new...  It had a lot of the features I wanted and while not as big as I would have liked, it seemed to fit the bill.

Well after using it for a month, I decided it was crap, and no where near as good as my old one!  It was nowhere near as accurate, struggled to make decent cuts, the adjustment on the vertical was so course it was almost unusable!  good job I kept the old one!

So I placed the trusty old miller ( i bought it 40 years ago, that makes me feel old!!) back in its place and gave it a bit of love.  One of the reasons I like the new one was it had a full set of collets, my old one had just three, which was very restrictive.  over the years I had tried to get more, but its an unusual size and I have never seen any.  The miller must be from the 30's I think!

I bought a set of ER25 collets and set about converting the headstock to accept these.  An accurate bit of work, it took a while to get the miller spindle in the lathe to run with zero run out.  I managed it though and carefully turned the internal taper, finishing off with a fine stone in the tool post grinder.  Its worked a treat!

I also replaced the threads and nuts on the bed with some off Ebay, which has taken all the slack out, the old threads were badly worn as you can imagine from probably 90 years of use!  the bearings in the headstock were remarkably good though, they may have been replaced before I got it.

So its here to stay, and I will be converting it to accept some digital readouts which are cheap these days.  years ago I converted my lathe to digital using some digital calipers, this transformed its ease of use.  I may treat the lathe to some proper ones as well

buzzer

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2018, 03:58:31 AM »

A bit of accurate filing and drilling…  I drilled and tapped the end of the throttle spindle and filed a register on it to fit an adaptor for the TPS.  This links directly to the new Ignitech ignition.  from previous experience, adding 3D ignition greatly improves drive-ability and fuel consumption.

Here are the finished home made inlet manifolds.  They have a slight register so an “O” ring separates the carbs from the manifold, I didn’t want metal to metal.  I also cross braced them...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:12:36 AM by buzzer » Logged
greenmonster

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2018, 07:35:33 AM »

Developing nicely.
I think you`d benefit from koko64`s mods: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=75652.30

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 01:14:56 AM »

Developing nicely.
I think you`d benefit from koko64`s mods: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=75652.30

thanks, very informative!

here are the last couple of photos for a while...  I will be doing some small jobs and the wiring, something I love doing...  will be making the loom from scratch as so much has changed! Also taking a break over the holiday (unless she goes out !)

then in the new year it will be colour decision...

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 05:36:06 AM »

At least two of Stew's bikes might have a similar color scheme as yours.... which can be copied or developed...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Local-Business/Flight-Cycles-124523224251595/

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 06:21:05 AM »

That bike is starting to look really pretty.   popcorn chug
buzzer

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2018, 03:11:28 AM »

That bike is starting to look really pretty.   popcorn chug

Thanks!

Onto the wiring...  I looked at the existing loom and realised SO much had changed that it was redundant...  So I am going to wire this from scratch, using my own design of loom.  I priced up the wire new and it was a LOT of money , and although I had some wire from past rebuilds it was limited in different colours.  So off to the scrap yard with a big pair of side cutters.  I came away with this lot for £5!  should keep me going.  it took a while to separate it into single strands of wire, but there is now a right mix of colours!

its bigger than it looks in the picture

buzzer

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2018, 04:08:47 AM »

December and progress has been a little slow due partly to the holiday, but mainly as my wife has broken two fingers which means garage time is limited!  I am having to do jobs I don’t normally do!   

I have managed a couple of small jobs…  made some adaptors for the manifold for the vacuum fuel tap, mounted the speedo sensor on the back wheel in place of the original hall sensor (hope the magnets stay in place!) and finally made a new “T” peice for the carbs as I didn’t like the very short connector on the original plastic one. 

This needed to be accurate, so out came the micrometer, which my Dad gave me when I was about 16…  that was 47 years ago.  I have more modern measuring stuff, but this is still the default measuring tool I go to.  its still checks out accurate!

I have started the bike, but I have a problem in that I only have a spark on the vertical cylinder...  this seems to be a problem with the Ignitech ignition.  the guys there are looking at it for me at the moment

buzzer

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2018, 03:12:08 AM »

Managed to sneak in the garage for a while...  still some wiring to finish off, and I have replaced the ignition leads with some new copper core wire.  Been years since I made some up, they seem to last well on today's cars and bikes.

as I need to get the pins out of some of the loom connectors, in particular the handlebar switches I used this set of removers...  they were only a few pounds but over the years they have been used time and time again!  They fit the majority of connectors and allow you to remove and replace the connection pins without damage.

greenmonster

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »

That kit of removers look very practical, where do you buy those?

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
buzzer

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »

That kit of removers look very practical, where do you buy those?

here you go...

https://www.banggood.com/11Pcs-Terminal-Removal-Tool-Kit-Wiring-Connector-Pin-Release-Extractor-p-1179384.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Wiring-Connector-Pin-Wire-Terminal-Removal-Tool-Electrical-Extractor-Qty11/223114609289?hash=item33f2aac289:g:X7QAAOSwkLJbF3nX:rk:5:pf:0

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: