Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 08:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: well I really wanted a Monster... I almost got one!  (Read 27667 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:28 AM »

Very crafty waytogo

How are the carbs coming along?

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 06:02:46 AM »

not done anything to the carbs...  will probably leave them as they are until the bike is stripped and rebuilt, save for putting some braces between the manifold
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »

Have you run it with the carbs yet? I'm curious about the jetting requirements for an 1100 and your plans for a TPS.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
buzzer

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 06:30:05 AM »

Have you run it with the carbs yet? I'm curious about the jetting requirements for an 1100 and your plans for a TPS.

I wont run it up until its all painted and finished, I have done the basic wiring but need to finish it when its all together, so its going to be a while yet!
buzzer

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »

some more pictures...  the seat came back from the trimmers, I was very pleased with the results, and its comfortable for me which is the important bit.  not as comfortable perhaps as the original though!

I am getting to the stage where it all needs to be stripped down, and the frame, tank and seat painting.  just a few more jobs to do...

I am very undecided what colour to do the frame and the tank and seat...  suggestions welcome!

buzzer

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

playing around in Photoshop.... my skills are limited here!  best I can do but it gives an idea...

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »

Hornet. Yellow tank and seat base with black frame and wheels.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
GK

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 12:12:49 AM »

Bottom left. Red with silver frame.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
buzzer

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »

a little bit more progress...  I am almost to the stage where I can take it all apart and have the frame powder coated.  I have decided its going to be silver on the frame, the tank and seat colour can wait a while to decide.

I have finished off the fuel tank plate.  there are two outlets, going to the fuel tap, so I can have a reserve position, hence the varying  heights of the outlets.

that was an expensive piece of tube...  £4.90!  Sold to me

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »

We have our very own, one of a kind, unique configurator  Cool  (left side colomn)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
buzzer

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »

here is the frame with all the modifications finished and welded, ready to go off to the powder coaters.  Over the years I have used many…  some good, some absolutely dire.  For a few years now I have used a company called Redditch Shot blasting.  the owner is a biker himself, and understands your requirements.  They have a good selection of colours and I have never been disappointed with the results.  they recently did a set of wheels for me, and when I collected them I noticed a ring around the inside of the rims…  he saw me looking…  he explained that the easy way is to hang the rims with a hook through the valve hole…  but this he said leaves a mark, which looks poor, and also can affect the valve sealing.  so he uses a long wire around the outside, which is under the tyre.  Attention to detail, which I like.

buzzer

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »

while the frame is away I have cleaned up the carbs  and fitted the Dynojet springs and needles which were for a Monster 900...  However the jets wont be suitable for the twin plug 1000cc engine, and need to be a bigger.  it will be a bit of trial and error, but for now I have increased their size... 

I know I will get some stick for this but for MANY years I have drilled jets out!  A lot of people don't realise that some (but not all...) jet numbers refer to millimetres...  so a 140 main jet has a 1.4 mm hole in it.  A 70 idle jet has a 0.7mm hole.  this is quite convenient if you have a set of Micro drills, as with a pin vice you can simply twist the drill through the jet. 

In the old days of Weber DCOE and Delortto DHLA carbs I did this all the time, as did many others!  I always used to check the size of the hole in jets rather than rely on the number in case someone got there with the drill before me!   I can hear people sucking their teeth at this!   Grin Grin Grin  If you have a set of number micro drills, you can also do half size increments...

To clean the carbs up, I bead Blasted them with glass bead.  the secret here is use as low a pressure as you can to clean.  I made the mistake for years to use a high pressure, which shatters the glass beads, turning them to dust, where they lose their peening power and you end up with a rough surface.  I used a few bungs and duct tape to seal them, but of course they still need a full strip and rebuild after.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »

I'm not appalled with your method. Just be aware that DynoJet, and Mikuni, use different numbers for the same size jets.

I don't know which uses the id of the hole.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »

Dynojet mains are numbered roughly ten larger than oem Mikuni for the same size, so a 165 Mikuni will be a 175 DJ jet, give or take a smidge. Factory Pro number the same as oem Mikuni. Theres flow rate Vs hole size Vs I don't know what and different scales used between mfr's and even different carbs by the same mfr. For example Mikuni jets for TM carbs bear no relation to BDST and HS carbs by a mile. I reckon you would know more about this than most of us. For example, why is a TM38 main jet numbered about 100 more units than a BDST? The TM must be flow rated?
I guess 160-165 Mikuni/175 DJ mains are often used in a 900 with open airbox/pods, so you can take a punt from there.  You going to a dyno or using an AFR meter?

The carbs look good. I'm paranoid about crap getting wedged in a drillway somewhere, so I use a sonic cleaner.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:06:33 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »

AFAIK, Mikuni have both flow-sized and diameter-sized jet numbering systems.

Flow sized I could see being beneficial if they flow-tested each and every one and marked it accordingly.
IMO, reality is that they're not flow tested and thus the numbering is scarcely more useful than diameter.

Hand drilling isn't the most accurate, but with a twin it's not a big deal.
And it's usually heaps better than the alternative.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: