Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 12:38:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 Headlight Connector question  (Read 852 times)
RichardIV

« on: October 14, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »

Hey guys, newbie here.

Bought my monster used last year and so far so great. Really love this bike and plan on keeping it for a long while.

Recently my headlight both low and high beam started to flicker (mostly don't work), so I found that the white connector seems to be the problem. If I play with the wires a little, the light will come back on.

I have been trying to disconnect them (male and female) to clean them up for the past two days and just cannot figure out how to separate them? Is it that difficult?

Can can anybody give me some tips on how to separate them?

Thank you very much!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »

Are they no longer white? Black = melted and will require so much force that they might break....

If the wires are long enough and you're capable of a little cutting, crimping a.s.o. you can just put on a few bullet connectors.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
RichardIV

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »

Are they no longer white? Black = melted and will require so much force that they might break....

If the wires are long enough and you're capable of a little cutting, crimping a.s.o. you can just put on a few bullet connectors.

Thank you for your input!

I finally was able to take them apart and out of four one was black.

Also, I took pics and not sure how to post it on here.

I cleaned the whole thing up and put it back together and now it works correctly without flickering.

Now, what do I do to get rid of that black one? Is it just time until something else happen ? Which I do not want to face.

Here’s links to pic of my bike and the connector

https://ibb.co/cNKDd0
https://ibb.co/ihXAQf
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:03:36 PM by RichardIV » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »

I don't know that much about electric stuff, but I would suspect (and try to find) another fault in the wires to the light. Just to be sure.

Bad connection might lead to over heating? I honestly don't know, but I know that black connectors aren't unusual even if the source fault is another place.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »

There was an early production problem on the headlight side of the harness.  I cann't tell from your photo which side it is.  If it is on the headlight side, you can get the new piece from the dealer.  Plug and play repair.  Otherwise, cut back to healthy wire, add new wire if needed, new connector.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »

That connector got too hot, it won't get better and likely will get worse.

What howie and stopintime said, if necessary you can put an individual wire and connector for the problematic one, leave the other 3 where they are.

But do check for issues on that circuit as well.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: