Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:54:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master for brakes and clutch, switch to different model  (Read 1470 times)
Allaband

« on: October 07, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »

Hello all. I have a 2000 Monster 900. I think it was originally called a "City" because there are a lot of gold parts. The previous owner changed a lot so I'm not sure. The master cylinders on the handlebars (clutch and brake) are the kind with the plastic reservoir perched high up on a post with a little hose leading down to the cylinder. I see that kind on race bikes. I'm not sure what the advantage is. I prefer the kind with the reservoir cast on top of the cylinder. So my question is, does anybody know what other Ducati master cylinders I can use? I see MANY on Ebay. I don't know much about hydraulics but I know the new master has to match the old master or I'll have a harder or softer pull and it will change the function of the system. If there is some model that will make it better that's okay, but I don't want it to get worse. Does anybody have suggestions?

Thanks!
BK_856er

2007 M695; 2004 749s

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »

Sounds like you're looking for "coffin" master cylinders.

Fortunately, a lot of the Brembo OE stuff is readily available from the US distributor, for example: https://www.oppracing.com/category/1011-oe-front-brake-master-cylinders/

If it were my bike I'd go for new or trusted source vs. ebay.  Critical safety item.

I don't know enough about your year to recommend specifics (piston size, pivot distance, etc.).  Someone else will be along shortly with those details....

BK
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

You've most likely got the goldline masters.

The coffin masters will be a step backward in function, it's not huge but they're not as good.
The problem is they're large pivot, really, the cast-in reservoir isn't a function problem.
And the coffin style is more difficult to service.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Allaband

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »

Thanks for the help. I'm not excited to have something called "casket" style on my bike. Speeddog, could I reduce the large pivot distance with adjustable leavers? The masters I have now already have adjustable leavers.

Can I use casket masters from a 2000 M600? Can I use my adjustable levers on them?

Thanks again!
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »

ST3 have reservoirs that may be more to your liking

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:49:21 PM »

The black 'coffin'/'casket'/built in reservoir master cylinders have a large (diameter) pivot bolt. Your bolt is smaller.

This is a direct replacement for your bike, but it doesn't have adjustability on the lever position. Easy enough to buy a new lever if you want/need the adjustability, but the good ones cost ~another 100.
https://www.oppracing.com/product_display/30738-brembo-oe-front-brake-master-cylinder-ps16-black-wreservoir-wlever50-wmicroswitch/

What about following Speeddog's lead and just get a set of pretty reservoirs?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Allaband

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 12:28:55 AM »

Thanks to both of you!

Speeddog, do those ST3 reservoirs screw on top of my current master? That sounds like a great, easy fix. What I really want is to get them out of my field of view. The Ducati Monster is amazing to ride because I can't see the bike. That feeling is transcendent. I don't want the reservoirs sticking up and stabbing me in the eyes. Where do I find these ST3 reservoirs? What does ST3 mean?

Stopintime, thanks for the link. If the shorter reservoirs don't work I'll look into those.
Allaband

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »

I see, ST3 is a model of bike. I looked for the reservoir on ebay and found these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Color-CNC-Brake-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Fluid-Reservoir-Tank-Oil-Cup-For-Honda/132455406737?fits=Model%3AST3%7CMake%3ADucati&hash=item1ed6f51c91:m:mqli0-0pRubYGGI8wfpN4Dg:rk:27:pf:0

It says they fit an ST3. Can I bolt these on top of my brake and clutch masters?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »

You're in a bit of luck, the same reservoirs are used on some similar-era MTS and Sport Classic.
That combined with the ST makes a market penetration big enough you may be able to find them used.

The OEM parts diagrams do not list the individual parts in this instance.
I've not had the reservoirs off of that style of master, so no FHE on how they attach.
OPP may be able to help on determining fitment to your masters.

There's a nearly endless variety of shapes and colors of reservoirs available, all fitting in the same manner as what you've got.
Prices ranging from exorbitant to so low that one wonders about stolen material/slave labor/Smuggling.R.Us.Shipping.
In my experience with the low-budget EBay parts for Ducati, the seller claiming fitment often means make the beast with two backsall or less.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: