Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:10:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on dealer maintenance records  (Read 1332 times)
d3vi@nt

« on: October 04, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »

Picked up a used bike via CL and didn't get the maintenance records at the time. PO had all work done at his local dealer. Figured no prob, I could get service records from my local dealer.

No dice. Local dealer confirmed service was done at other dealer and referred me them (2 hours away). Via email, dealer told me they could only release service history with PO's consent. I don't have contact info, so dealer volunteered to contact. They've left a vm, but no response for authorization.

It's not a big deal; it's out of warranty, etc. Just wanted to have the info to refer to.

Anyone encounter similar?  I thought about contacting DNA with proof of ownership, but haven't tried yet...

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »

Technically they can release the records to the titled owner. Fax them a copy of the registration in your name.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
d3vi@nt

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »

Technically they can release the records to the titled owner. Fax them a copy of the registration in your name.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, they don't seem to know that. I showed a pic of the title with name and VIN to my local dealer, he said they couldn't do it. I told the other dealer where it was serviced that I could provide title in my name, etc. They said they still needed authorization from the previous owner.

Guess I'll try contacting DNA and see what they say...

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:03:22 PM »

Well..., the records they hold belong to them. They are under no obligation to give them to the original owner either. Giving them out is a courtesy. Most would though.

If the dealer has privacy concerns, a copy of the title signed over to you lists the original owner's name etc. That would be the only legitimate liability issue a dealer might have. The lawyer who explained the rules to them may have scared them without explaining the reasoning. A service manager is for sure no lawyer.

At our dealerships, ($$$ high-line cars), we'd give the current owner a printout with no personal data. No biggie. We wanted his/her biz!

DNA would only have the warranty history based on claims, not itemized service.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
d3vi@nt

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »

I'm sure the service history includes billing info with name, address, phone, and probably credit card info. While most of that is not hard to come by I certainly understand why they would not want to be the ones giving that out.

That said, I'm not sure why they can't simply scrub or redact that info. Best guess is they don't care to take the time and effort.

I'd really like to build a relationship with my local dealer, but they've given me no incentive to date.  Undecided

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »

I'm sure the service history includes billing info with name, address, phone, and probably credit card info. While most of that is not hard to come by I certainly understand why they would not want to be the ones giving that out.

That said, I'm not sure why they can't simply scrub or redact that info. Best guess is they don't care to take the time and effort.

I'd really like to build a relationship with my local dealer, but they've given me no incentive to date.  Undecided
I'd go in there and tell them exactly that.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

d3vi@nt

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »

Just updating... DNA confirmed they had no access to service history and referred back to local dealer(s).

I contacted a different dealer in another state, from whom I frequently buy parts. They stated that there was no connected system among dealers, so they had no way to know or find service history.

So I'm not sure how my local dealer was able to see service history that was done at the other dealer. Maybe they were just able to see warranty claims. Dunno. It's a mystery.

Curious if we have any dealers that hang out here that could clarify.

Anyway... next time I'm down in Denver I'll try to pop in and chat with the dealer face-to-face and see what I can drum up.

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: