Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 07:09:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new ethanol-safe tanks, $699!!!  (Read 6796 times)
cmross13

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »

When they say 'successfully applies', are they referring to initial adhesion, or long term durability?

I can get paint to stick to any plastic. The automotive refinish industry has had those chemicals for a long time. I can't guarantee it stick will for the long haul when vapor permissivity is involved.

Dirt bikes that use PE tanks have perforated decals applied to prevent trapping vapor if that's any clue.

im still going back/forth with them via e-mail and haven't found out about long term reliability yet or if they have a proprietary material/blend. Due to the language barrier im limited to e-mail only, so communication is kinda slow. i have to believe theres something we can put inside the tank to seal it and/or something on the exterior to make the paint stick, or something that can be blended with the media prior to molding, or heat treating, or something i dunno.

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 11:20:36 AM »

What does Chris say about this?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »

What does Chris say about this?
Chris told us a long time ago that his tanks weren't suitable for painting.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 12:58:22 PM »

I know that. I was wondering what, if anything, he said this time.

There are one-piece covers for the 696 a.s.o. bikes....  Not cheap I'm sure, but might be a solution?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:34:37 PM »

I don't know that he was asked...lately. Grin

As talented as he is, I don't think he can change the properties of polyethylene.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

drval85

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 02:24:52 PM »

Does it stop gassing out at some point?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Does it stop gassing out at some point?
No. It has nothing to do with the plastic 'gassing out'. It has everything to do with the properties of polyethylene being vapor permissive.

Simply put, PE allows fuel vapor to pass through...forever. That's why Ducati chose a different plastic. PE wouldn't meet US EPA guidelines. It isn't a problem where ethanol fuel isn't used. I doubt ethanol fuel was tested by Ducati. Their switch back to other materials confirms this.

perspective

drval85

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »

If it's the fuel vapors passing through, would some kind of coating like caswell's on the interior block it?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »

If it's the fuel vapors passing through, would some kind of coating like caswell's on the interior block it?
Probably.

My question is if the factory tank, and Chris' tank, require the same treatment where is the advantage other than the cost difference for replacement?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:27:50 PM by ducpainter » Logged

perspective

hbliam
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 09:32:19 PM »

Probably.

My question is if the factory tank, and Chris' tank, require the same treatment where is the advantage other than the cost difference for replacement?

Exactly. The advantage for the hyper tank was massive increase in volume. Took the bike from less then 100 miles per tank to 275 ish. I wouldn't swap an aftermarket tank that has to be coated and can't be painted for a real monster tank that has to be coated but can be painted.

And I am the guy that started the hypermotard tank crowdfunding list. It took a lot of time, lots of reminders, and about half the list dropped out (didn't honor their commitment after he made the tank). I believe he requires funds up front now. So have fun with that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:20:46 PM by hbliam » Logged
cmross13

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »

I don't know that he was asked...lately. Grin

As talented as he is, I don't think he can change the properties of polyethylene.
actually, the fact that his current tanks are unpaintable was an oversight on my part prior to inquiring about production. Chris brought up the fact that he is experimenting with coatings that would allow them to be painted. i simply went a step further and reached out to some people at different coating manufacturers and polyethylene and polypropylene molders about different coating and/or blending options. if this can't ultimately be resolved, im sure the demand will drop to near zero.

Exactly. The advantage for the hyper tank was massive increase in volume. Took the bike from less then 100 miles per tank to 275 ish. I wouldn't swap an aftermarket tank that has to be coated and can't be painted for a real monster tank that has to be coated but can be painted.

And I am the guy that started the hypermotard tank crowdfunding list. It took a lot of time, lots of reminders, and about half the list dropped out (didn't honor their commitment after he made the tank). I believe he requires funds up front now. So have fun with that.
you are absolutely right in that producing an aftermarket tank that has to be coated would be almost ignorant when ducati still sells new tanks that come pre-painted for about the same price as this would cost after paint. the difference would only be the lack of swelling/warping, and any associated volume increase due to different manufacturing processes and dimensions beneath the surface. while not many people run pod filters on EFI Monsters, this could/would be an option for those interested in doing so. these are all things that need to be considered, but not until the demand is there for an aftermarket OEM-shaped tank.

i admire your patience and determination in getting the HM tanks made. due to the fact that those would only work on one kind of bike, im sure you also ran into a lot of issues with getting people involved.   

what i/we are trying to accomplish here is a single shape of tank with different "bottoms" allowing the use on all plastic tank monsters from 2000-2008, covering the S2R and S4R range, and possibly providing a volume increase, and do so for $699 or less. i am well aware this is and will always be an uphill battle, but that wont stop me from trying. if i/we can resolve the coating issues, and provide a finished product that some owners can just slap on as-is or others can have a paint-matched solution for around a thousand bucks, i will be satisfied, and the production process can easily be reproduced dropping the prices for future purchases, helping to keep these bikes alive for years to come.

if this is a total failure, thats okay too. i WILL buy a Beater tank and keep riding my S4RS, and if this one dies, i'll take the tank with me to another one...

also, for what its worth, i have joined several facebook groups around the S2R and S4R community and contacted their admins about posting group buy info there, and have been approved thus far. just need the time to actually write it up, which i will do today or tonight. next i'll be taking to Reddit and researching web hosting.

thanks for your time

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Heath

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »

Good Job reaching back out to Chris to see if this can be done. Even with his move he is plugging right along with making his molds better and better. As our plastic tank Monsters get older I feel the demand is still there. I am in the same boat as you cmross13, I plan on never selling my S4RT. I will always have a list of things I want to do to it. A new tank is one of them even though my current one is not swelling (ty caswells). It does have some wrinkles at the knees though I plan on covering with TechSpec tank grips.

For me to be really interested I would need two main things.
1. Must be able to be painted or possibly wrapped.
2. Fuel Capacity would need to be higher.

Hopefully this all works out! My wallet for sure can't afford a beater tank right now.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »

hbliam, great to see you in here! (you might be a regular here now, but when I was - a decade ago, I don't think you were)  Grin

"Have fun with that" -- you don't know the half of it!! We did that with the MTS tank and a kickstarter-like website. Only their system had horrible accounting and we ended up having to ASK people if/when they paid and how much. And then the MTS tank became the Mountain of Pain which tested the will to live for all involved from that point forward. We delivered the pre-order tanks once we got our own rotational molding machine and I started making tanks with my own hands. Even more "have fun with that" is how we accepted loans from investors. I've kept my books and we are almost paid up on those. I've promised to pay back via the proceeds of MTS tanks sold but they're not selling enough to repay those investors. They've been getting paid back anyhow and all those will be completed in January. Before we can "have fun with" the new project, the old project shall be tied up and done. The move, folks stealing our belts, and two years without selling tanks had us in dire straits.

For this project, we will either do it like with the HM tank you led or a 3rd party will hold the $ in escrow. The "HM way" is we get folks' credit cards via orders on our site. They get authorized (but not charged) and then the sale gets captured when the order ships. Since money isn't as tight as before, we should be able to handle this next tank the HM way.

Thanks,
Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »

Rotary molded polyethylene allows some vapor to escape through the surface. Any closed film, like paint or a wrap, would trap that vapor and cause the film to fail.

chris' tanks are not the best choice for painting. They excel in all other areas.

Perforated wrap  waytogo  Grin

Yes, waytogo to the above.

i appreciate your advice, and due to your username and reputation around here, i dont doubt your credentials. however, there MUST be a coating that can be applied to prevent this effect, albeit inside or outside the tank. i have reached out to a few chemical companies for insight and found one that successfully applies high-gloss finishes to Pe. whether or not this coating would be fuel/vapor safe is the next step...

Getting a high gloss finish isn't a problem. Nor is getting paint to stick to our tanks ... before there's gasoline in them.

We are testing the concept of a lining. I've got a couple tanks sitting up as a first pass viability test.

Thanks,
Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
cmross13

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »

this slowed down MUCH quicker than i had anticipated. for the thousands of us plagued by this stupid ethanol/Acerbis problem, i thought there would be 50 people lined up with cash in hand. i realize not everyone has the means to throw cash around like Uncle Luke, but for $699 i feel like this is a no brainer.

that being said, i CAN and WILL still spearhead this operation if the community responds positively. i will still even supply a tank for molding purposes and buy two of them! that being said, i AM working with a sheetmetal fabricator to modify two OEM steel tanks to accept an S4RS fuel pump/flange. whichever way works out, i will simply keep one or two and sell the other 4-6 off(i currently have three S4RS tanks and three M900ie tanks)   

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: