Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:53:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new ethanol-safe tanks, $699!!!  (Read 6763 times)
cmross13

« on: September 14, 2018, 06:47:05 PM »

I have spoken with the owner of CA Cycleworks about creating an OEM replacement fuel tank for us who suffer from ethanol swelling, and there's good news ahead. For those of you who dont know, we currently have four options:

ETI-FuelCel "Composite" unit at $1,500
Legendary Motorcycles Aluminum at $2,500
Beater Japan Aluminum at $2,800
these prices are all plus paint
then there is the OEM Ducati/Acerbis tank with the same problems for roughly $1,400, but at least thats painted

Now the obvious choice we would all like to make would be the Beater unit due to its solid reputation and no known QC/craftsmanship issues. That being said, i personally dont want to spend $3,000 on a tank for a $6,000 bike. While I have no intention of ever selling my S4RS, if i absolutely HAD to, my return on investment would be nearly zero. I knew CAC had successfully made rotary molded tanks for other models and has been a staple in the Ducati Community for many years, so last night under the influence of several Gin & Tonics, i reached out to Chris. To my surprise, I got a positive response.

So here's the meat & potatoes version:

NO MORE SWELLING/WARPING ISSUES
we need a minimum of 30, but preferably 50+ people
these tanks will have the OEM 2000-2008 Monster shape, but with whatever bottom your application calls for(from Carb'd to S4RS)
he is also considering an expanded bottom option for those without an airbox, effectively increasing volume and therefore range(im currently researching pod filters and will dyno the results, as i personally would LOVE more than 100mi on a tank)
initial pricing is at $699. if this works out, I can provide them pre-painted with OEM PPG paints for an additional $300-ish. note: this is for striped or solid colors. Tricolore need not apply unless someone is willing to send me a stock tank to use for reference

now, my involvement is simply that of approaching them about actually doing it, offering up some tanks(S2R and S4RS) for molding purposes, and being responsible for this group buy.

so there you have it. i dont really see any downsides. a used tank on ebay is $400-500, and unless you're pretty lucky, you still have to paint it. then, like me, you will be swapping it out every year and freaking out hoping you dont strip the oh-so-fragile fuel pump screws, and it will STILL swell. in this case you could buy an ethanol-safe plastic replacement for your bike and if you decide to sell, include the OEM which will probably be dried out by then.

there are literally thousands of people with these affected bikes, and they all suffer from the same stupid issue with fuel. if you're reading this, you probably either own one or know someone who does. lets spread the word and make it a reality...

[UPDATE 9-15]- i forgot to mention that the tanks that CAC currently produces are not paintable, but Chris is exploring options on coatings to allow them to be painted. this was a major oversight on my part, and for that i apologize. obviously these wouldn't be nearly as attractive if they weren't paint-matched, so this is a huge factor.

also, i have corrected my original post to be more specific on which "style" of tank would be produced, and thats the later 2000-2008 style that the plastic tanks were produced in.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:19:24 AM by cmross13 » Logged

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
cmross13

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »

this is reserved for known people willing to participate..

1: myself
2: myself
3: another forum member

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »

There are 2 outside shapes, latest started in 2000... so it's to fit the later ones, yes?

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
GK

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »

The ethanol issue doesn’t affect my steel tank, but it’s awesome news for those that it does!

Well done for reaching out and well done CCW!

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:04:49 AM »

applause well done

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:35:49 AM »

Chris' tanks can be painted now?

popcorn

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
rdtompk

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 04:34:27 AM »

I'm interested, especially in the version with the expansion of volume.
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:39:10 AM »

I'm always willing to give  Chris more money. waytogo His shop was a regular stop when he was In San Diego. He is a knowledgeable and helpful dude who cares about the products he puts out. Looking forward to more details on materials and paintability  vs his existing MTT, which is not paintable. I should also add, I would also be most interested in an expanded capacity tank.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:43:12 AM by chipripper » Logged

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
cmross13

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »

[UPDATE 9-15]- i forgot to mention that the tanks that CAC currently produces are not paintable, but Chris is exploring options on coatings to allow them to be painted. this was a major oversight on my part, and for that i apologize. obviously these wouldn't be nearly as attractive if they weren't paint-matched, so this is a huge factor.

also, i have corrected my original post to be more specific on which "style" of tank would be produced, and thats the later 2000-2008 style that the plastic tanks were produced in.

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

His current colors (red, white and black) are enough.

I expect paint, wrap, dip and any other coloring method to be expensive and I'm sceptical about the quality. I can live well without the logo and one of my requirements, grip pads, can be fixed by Chris making them with built in Stomp Grip pads  Cool So, paint isn't a must for me.

Do you know if he makes the molds from a tank and/or computer design? The added volume could come from adding ~20mm width and ~10mm height. No problems for those who don't want to convert to pods a.s.o.

Just a VERY rough calculation (comparing the tank with half a sphere) shows this to add over 5 liter.

cmross13

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 05:48:01 AM »

His current colors (red, white and black) are enough.

I expect paint, wrap, dip and any other coloring method to be expensive and I'm sceptical about the quality. I can live well without the logo and one of my requirements, grip pads, can be fixed by Chris making them with built in Stomp Grip pads  Cool So, paint isn't a must for me.

Do you know if he makes the molds from a tank and/or computer design? The added volume could come from adding ~20mm width and ~10mm height. No problems for those who don't want to convert to pods a.s.o.

Just a VERY rough calculation (comparing the tank with half a sphere) shows this to add over 5 liter.

AFAIK, the shape would be taken from a mold. adding width and height is tricky as you may run into interference problems with different handlebars. as for colors and finishes, i'm sure the bulk of us would prefer paint matching, and i personally wouldn't be interested if this were not an option.

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »

Rotary molded polyethylene allows some vapor to escape through the surface. Any closed film, like paint or a wrap, would trap that vapor and cause the film to fail.

chris' tanks are not the best choice for painting. They excel in all other areas.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »

Perforated wrap  waytogo  Grin

cmross13

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:44 AM »

Rotary molded polyethylene allows some vapor to escape through the surface. Any closed film, like paint or a wrap, would trap that vapor and cause the film to fail.

chris' tanks are not the best choice for painting. They excel in all other areas.

i appreciate your advice, and due to your username and reputation around here, i dont doubt your credentials. however, there MUST be a coating that can be applied to prevent this effect, albeit inside or outside the tank. i have reached out to a few chemical companies for insight and found one that successfully applies high-gloss finishes to Pe. whether or not this coating would be fuel/vapor safe is the next step...

2007 S4RS, 2000 M900ie
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 04:59:21 AM »

When they say 'successfully applies', are they referring to initial adhesion, or long term durability?

I can get paint to stick to any plastic. The automotive refinish industry has had those chemicals for a long time. I can't guarantee it stick will for the long haul when vapor permissivity is involved.

Dirt bikes that use PE tanks have perforated decals applied to prevent trapping vapor if that's any clue.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: