Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 07:27:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Monster 600-620 with carbs and Ignitech - Tooth Count?  (Read 8034 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »

Tryin to help: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=76771.15

Buzzer chimed in.

I`ll stop if it bothers you.
If it bothers him...keep it up. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

tastybaklava

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »

Hahaha it's all good, I was only poking fun. I'm incredibly grateful to everyone that's been helping out with this hellish ignition debacle.
tastybaklava

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

WE HAVE A WINNER!

I'd said recently that I would post an update shortly as there was something pending.

After having a chat to Liam at Fast Bike Gear, he'd contacted Ignitech and found that there was a better unit for the job. Liam arranged a replacement for me that is far better suited and looks like Buzzer's one.

I fitted up the new one and started getting popping and backfiring.  The previous unit didn't so much as cough. My readings I'd posted earlier were no longer as outlandish as before, so I knew this thing was definitely a step in the right direction.

After $15 of Skype credit, bugging Liam on the phone and picking his brain regarding tooth settings, we checked the timing with a light and confirmed the plugs were firing at the right point.

It wasn't until about an hour after I spoke to Liam on the phone that I had one last thought. I'd been playing around with reversing the coil output plugs on the last Ignitech, switching back and forth when troubleshooting it.

I swapped the wires leading from the Ignitech to the coils back over, gave her a little squirt of fuel into the carbs and cranked...

It sputtered, caught its rhythm and roared into life.

SO, a few tips for future lunatics that want to run a 620 (and most likely other FI Duc engines) with carbs:

- make sure your carbs are good (I'd already rebuilt mine)

- You need an Ignitech TCIP4 v88 that has the cam/crank sensor plug. Avoid one of the 'universal' units as some don't read the individual teeth properly and spit whacky figures out

- to wire the unit, follow this list: <PLACEHOLDER>

- Check, double check and TRIPLE CHECK your wiring

- pull out the spark plugs and check for spark

- This is one of the most crucial: check with a timing light. It'll tell you straight away if the spark is firing when it should. If it is, then check your signal to the coils from the Igni and swap it over, just to be sure.

Thank you so VERY much to everyone that's offered their tips in this thread. You have no idea how grateful I am to each of you for your help. Thanks also to Liam from Fast Bike Gear for helping me get this thing going. The guy really is a mad scientist when it comes to these bikes.

I'll likely start up a separate build thread shortly as this one small saga has been part of a bigger restoration project.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:22:38 PM by tastybaklava » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »

waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2018, 05:20:03 AM »

waytogo

- to wire the unit, follow this list: <PLACEHOLDER>
Would you clarify this?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:23:54 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
tastybaklava

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2018, 11:50:02 PM »

The place holder is for me to put in what wire goes where and possibly include images, just to make it even easier for anyone else that's treading this path later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: