Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Potential bike purchase  (Read 1414 times)
julitro

« on: August 29, 2018, 05:24:40 AM »

So a guy at work is trying to sell me his 2017 797 Monster, the problem is was the way he treated it. Been down on both sides, mostly cosmetic damage but should get a chance to see it in person sometime next week. So main question is there an easy way to make sure forks and frame are straight? The price seems very good, he's asking for between 1-2k$. Seems like a great price, even for a wrecked bike. It does run, and he has it in the shop getting sprockets, chain and also getting the front wheel straightened?? Is this possible? If front wheel is bent, assumption would be there is probably more damage on front end? I'm entertaining the offer because of the price. It's a fairly new bike, less than 5k miles (I'm guessing all 5k miles have been rough on the bike).

Any words of wisdom? Anything to look out for or main things to consider when checking a wrecked Duc? If I end up purchasing, the plan would get it back on the road. Worse comes to worse, part it out but that will depend on extent of damage. Or I may just walk away... Once I also get to see it, I will have a better idea of what will need replaced.

Thanks for your time guys and gals,

Julitro
DesmoDiva

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 06:13:29 AM »

For that price there's something he's not telling you.

I wouldn't touch it.

Plenty of other bikes out there.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
julitro

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 06:50:02 AM »

Yes, exactly. The skeptic in me tells me that is the case. But the optimist in me tells me to check it out because of his situation. Sounds like he wants garage space to park something else next to his BMW sportbike. Maybe it is almost all cosmetic....I should see with my own eyes soon. And the ride should tell me a lot as well.

Thanks,
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »

I'd shoot for the lower end of that price range, but I'd do it if I had a plan for it.

But for me that would likely end up being a donor frame for an LSR bike and a spare motor for my street Monster.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »

Good price, BIG RISK.  If you understand that and want to continue, fine.  First thing is make sure the bike has clean title.  Salvage title = diminished value and PIA getting it registered.  DO bring someone with Ducati expertise with you.  Cosmetic damage can be real expensive as well as hidden or missed damage, such as a broken steering stop or damaged forks/triples.
julitro

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Clean title so that is working in my favor. Will get a chance to ride it next week.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »

Let us know how you go waytogo I hope it's that exceptional deal for you as it's usually too good to be true. If it isa bargain then you're a winner with this project with a low cost baseline to give you options to do the job properly from the start. There are important upgrades to these bikes that really enhance their all round performance and reliability. We'll be with you as you progress.
Good luck.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
julitro

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »

Thank you much, Appreciate it!! (hoping it goes well and to have pics up soon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: