Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting forced to sell my Tricolore; slight panic attack.  (Read 2039 times)
n0m0d3rat10n

« on: August 25, 2018, 12:43:29 PM »

Shots

...So I had a 2007 S4Rs. Hit oil and totaled it, under a car in Fort Lauderdale, on Oakland and US1.   bang head  Ended up with a pulled nerve (and numbness) down my left arm that lasted 6 months, but by and large, I gimped away from that one, thanks to gratuitous use of protective gear.  applause  However, once I got the insurance check, and could walk without limping and use the clutch, I did what any rational person would do at the time; I got a 2008 Tricolore  waytogo bow down

Bad news is as of 2 months ago, the numbness is back.  They say its a disk in my neck, and helmets and bikes are not a good combination.  I keep putting it off admitting it, but I can't ride anymore, or at least for the foreseeable future.

See?  I did it again.  I added "for the foreseeable future".  Thats my blind faith in stem cells talking, not my Doctor.  I got my first bike when I was 4.  I've wrecked them every which way, but nothing hurts as bad as saying, "I can't ride anymore". popcorn  And then sell THIS bike. Cry  Because as you know, this was just an outrageous bike. Evil  They only made 400; 250 were sold to the States.  Mine is 224 on the side badge.  

It does has a few issues...  The tank is swollen, like everyone else in the States, who cant avoid ethanol, but it still closes. It could use new mirrors.  The worst thing that happened was the bike fell over in a trailer, when the guy backed up without tying it down and it bent the hanger on radiator slightly, so if you look at the bike square from the front, the radiator is slightly crooked.  No one ever noticed it before... and it doesn't bother me enough to try and straighten it... but it's points off, unless I take it in and have them tweak it back.  Other than that, it has the low seat on, but comes with a never used higher seat too, new tires, lithium battery, regulator, a 5000+ mile major first tuneup - the thing is ready (for someone besides me) to rock. Embarrassed

So that leads me to the obvious question: how would you sell THIS bike?  I know there are more expensive Ducati's, but you would have to agree, when those boys from overseas paint their bikes with the flag, you know it's top shelf.  Right now, my thoughts are listed on ebay for X days, and then go around to different places to list bikes for sale, (like in the 'For Sale' forum here) and then just post the link to the Auction.  Maybe even make an ad on facebook(?)

I think the auction idea is good, because I don't know what its really worth.  As far as I know, its the only one for sale in the US right now. The last one I can find went for $9k.  I think it had under 6,000 miles too.  Maybe his was nicer without the tweaked radiator, but a fresh battery and tires is real money. Shocked

That said, what do you guys think?  I hesitate putting a price on it, because its all about the other guy's desire to get one.  If there were only 250 imported 10 years ago, some probably died, and most are probably not for sale... but I cannot find another current listing for one for sale anywhere. So maybe I got that going for me? Roll Eyes

What do you guys think?  What's my best exit strategy?  What do you think it might fetch, if it went to auction, with the bike located in South Florida? Huh?

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »

I dont know your situation details, but I would keep it at present and get a second/third opinion around, treatment, therapies and rehab. Just my 2 cents.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
GK

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:37:02 AM »

Why not prepare it for storage?Surely it will appreciate in value.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 02:41:30 AM »

Why not prepare it for storage?Surely it will appreciate in value.
The only down side to storing, at this point, is the fresh rubber and belts would be money thrown away when it comes out of storage as they'd need replacing.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

GK

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 02:56:36 AM »

So the cost would outweigh the gain.
Fair point to consider.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 03:12:32 AM »

I guess it depends on the value when it comes out of storage.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 05:30:26 AM »

Sorry to hear.  Anyway, figure the bike is worth somewhere between $6-8K.  I expect the bike will keep and eventually increase in value.  Of course, the expanding tank diminishes the value.  Ducati does have an adjustable hinge to help with the expansion.

Sell or store?  Me, I would like to see someone enjoy the bike.  On the other hand, storing a piece of history like that bike has merit.  Stored with no fuel, the tank might shrink back.
n0m0d3rat10n

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts and PMs, guys; your best wishes are much appreciated. bow down

But to answer your questions, no, I have no where to store it, and the money needs to go towards something else, so I need to sell.  Not necessarily IMMEDIATELY, but I just got the MRI results, so there is no sense in dragging it out any more.  I have other health issues that are causing this to flare up, so it's time for me to hang it up.

So these are my options:

1.) See if Ducati Miami will take it on consignment.  They might.  They also have good money flow through there.  I dont know what they will charge compared to ebay, but maybe that is a good idea.
2.) List it on ebay (auction? how long? )
3.) Build a little web Page, with all the details and images, and then just list it for sale on craigslist, and other places where people sell ducati's (or other bikes) anmd link there for a few months and see if I get any bites.
4.) Huh??

...what would you do, if you were in my shoes, and wanted to sell?  Time period is anywhere from today until 3 months from now, depending on how much extra money it would bring.  Personally I think this week would be great, so people up North could ride it in the Fall, at least.

Any advice and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »

I'm all about easy. If it were my bike, I'd put it on consignment with the dealer. That way you have no ebay hassles, and don't have to arrange shipping for an out of state buyer.

perspective

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »

If I were to use fleabay it would be local pick up only. 
geoffduc

18 till i die

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »

I agree with ducpainter in that the dealer has to make good any problems that may arise from the sale plus you won't have to put up with the usual day dreamers/ tyre kickers that are attracted to motor cycles.

The S4Rs tricolore monster over this side of the pond is becoming quite a sort after model with some people buying for future profits (don't ask how I know), it's a great bike but the tank can be a big problem which can be over come buy removing the tank and leting it dry out which I've seem happen.

Best of luck with your decision and please don't give it away because it will make a future classic.

Geoff... coffee

2015 scrambler FT
2009 monster 1100s
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »

Yeah that sounds like good advice waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: