Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 02:05:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MotoGP GoPro British Grand Prix at Silverstone ***Spoilers***  (Read 7271 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »

Wild assed guess here, but it seems that the company that paved the track didn't put any crown to the surface. A completely flat, or dished surface won't drain.

It's been raining there...forever.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

My understanding is that Silverstone has never had any banking at all. The previous surface probably allowed for a ton of drainage, but the new surface is not as porous. I’m in no way an expert

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »

My understanding is that Silverstone has never had any banking at all. The previous surface probably allowed for a ton of drainage, but the new surface is not as porous. I’m in no way an expert
Banking and crown are two completely different things. Water can't drain from a completely flat surface.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 10:58:29 AM »

Unless it’s the top of my head.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »

Banking and crown are two completely different things. Water can't drain from a completely flat surface.
But with banking, wouldn’t the water flow down towards the gravel?

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »

Tito had femur, tib and fib breaks of his right leg. Surgery went well.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »

Lots of chatter about the racetrack conditions on the MotoGP website.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »

But with banking, wouldn’t the water flow down towards the gravel?
If a corner is banked, or has camber, it should. The water is also pooling on the straights. That's what caused the disaster with Tito. You don't bank, or camber, a straight. You give the surface crown which means the center is higher than the edges. Not significantly, but enough to drain.

perspective

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »

Tito up and walking already. Woodpecker lips.

https://sport.sky.it/motogp/2018/08/26/motogp-gp-silverstone-2018-infortunio-rabat-foto.html?social=twitter_skysportmotogp_link_null

ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »

and why don't they have those jet dryers like they do in NASCAR ?   with that much rain when is does stop to dry push the water that is laying 
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »

We can probably remember worse conditions in regards to rainfall on tracks with better drainage. Its a shame as Ducati was looking good. Biaggi said as much.

2015 Scrambler 800
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »

No race, so I’m gonna watch some holeshot videos.  Evil Oh, as usual headphones are your friend. 🎧

DesmoDiva

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 05:38:28 AM »

and why don't they have those jet dryers like they do in NASCAR ?   with that much rain when is does stop to dry push the water that is laying  

Not sure about Silverstone,  but they tried to use them to clear water at the first Indy MotoGP that was black flagged due to rain.   They only have the ability to move so much water, they become useless when the rain is really coming down and pooling.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 06:28:37 AM »

Wild assed guess here, but it seems that the company that paved the track didn't put any crown to the surface. A completely flat, or dished surface won't drain.

It's been raining there...forever.
Sometime during the repaving, the track owner/manager must have been involved in observing/approving the work and/or paying the bill....one would imagine?  coffee

I recall Hurrincane Ike and the 2008 Indy MotoGP race, the one where Rossi merrily circled the circuit during the deluge while the rest of the field crashed out - and all the complaints about the repaving job there, too.  Maybe the bosses were panicking over that flashback (or else MM can't ride in the rain very well  Evil).

Wondering aloud whether all the electronic gizmos on 'modern' bikes make racing in very wet conditions 'impossible'...i.e., no 'digital maps' to handle changed/unexpected track conditions from point to point, such as hitting a wet spot coming out of a dry turn when the engine is spinning up and the controls are not expecting a slippery surface.  Does anyone know if the electronics are ever 'recoded' during wet racing?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:38:27 AM by OT » Logged
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 07:15:44 AM »

They have wet setups, but Indy were 800cc bikes with a considerable amount less electronic aids. I guess it evens out at the end since the 1000cc power would be tamed. I was there during the hurricane GP and I can honestly say that it was stupid to allow them to ride in that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: