Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 05:21:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 696... Are you telling me?  (Read 2592 times)
E900 to 696

« on: August 03, 2018, 05:21:13 AM »

Considering buying a 2014 696 online from over 1,000 miles away. I'm good with a wrench and have worked on most parts of motorcycles over the years. I am not intimidated to learn how to check and shim valves or to change the timing belt. But are you telling me I would have to take my bike to a shop many miles away for who knows how long and how much to turn off the maintenance light? I searched for a fix but no luck. Is there possibly a power programmer that doubles as a code reader/clearer? HATE riding around with "check engine" light on. Any option other than a trip to dealer that I am unaware of?
Buhgaboo

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »

Yes....I just added a "d" on my dash with a sharpie...now it says serviced... problem solved
And no the check engine light does not get tripped for maintenance at least not on the m821
E900 to 696

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 08:05:19 AM »

Yes....I just added a "d" on my dash with a sharpie...now it says serviced... problem solved
And no the check engine light does not get tripped for maintenance at least not on the m821

Thanks for reply. Are you saying that there are 2 lights? A service light and a check engine light? And that there is no known way to reset the service light without going to dealer? I get that the check engine light would not come on when service interval is reached. Just trying to be clear.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »

CEL does not usually light up when a maintenance milestone is reached.....

Verify in the Owner's Manual (download from ducati.com)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
E900 to 696

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »

The only light that I am concerned with at the moment is the SERVICE light that comes on every time a factory service interval is reached. I just want to know if there is ANY way possible to reset the light without visiting a dealership. Not saying it is a definite deal breaker in my purchase decision but would be a helluva PITA for me to deal with. I will keep digging and post back if I find a solution, but looking like dealer visit is only option...  Sad
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »

Might be a pain anyway, but it's not a light.

E900 to 696

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »

Called closest dealer. Service light comes on every 3,750 miles. $40 to clear code and must sign a waiver. No other way humanly possible to reset code without going to dealer.
Thanks to all who replied.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 08:46:40 AM »

It's every 7,500 miles and the 'light' is an LCD wrench symbol.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »

It's every 7,500 miles and the 'light' is an LCD wrench symbol.

Yep!  Sign waiver?  You can reset the light with a scan tool, such as http://technoresearch.com  You want one anyway if you are serious about doing your own work.
E900 to 696

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »

Yep!  Sign waiver?  You can reset the light with a scan tool, such as http://technoresearch.com  You want one anyway if you are serious about doing your own work.

Thanks, 7,500 miles is only half the pain, but the dealer said 3,750. The interval doesn't really matter if there is in fact a tuner or scan tool to be had, but again, dealer said no. He said Ducati makes him get a waiver to cover their butt even if the warranty has expired, who knows... Tried calling the company in your link, just answering machine and could not find specific information on the website. I always buy a tuner if available be it for tuning mixture, reading codes, changing tire size or shift points. Fingers crossed.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:16:15 PM »

Since the dealer halved what the service schedule requires (though, IMO a good idea) and when the light goes on I would not give credence to the waiver requirement.  You might want to check back with someone else at the dealer.  I once had a salesman at a decent dealer tell me you can only use Shell Advance oil.  He wasn't there long.  Oh, and the dealer did not use Shell Advance.
E900 to 696

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I guess I can live with it either way, just prefer to do my own maintenance if I have the time. On another note... almost done getting the Elefant tuned up and spit shined. Sounds so good that several times over the years I have got it ready to sell and came to conclusion that I could not part! Next step is to fiberglass the back side of the front fender/fork guards back into one piece. Front fender is a weak design and doesn't stand up to continuall wheelie slams. Fabbed up an ugly angle aluminum support that got me through but just can't show it that way to anyone interested.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »

I'm not sure of this but check with our sponsor Motowheels if they have a Rexxer tuning device that covers that function, or at least a re flash that eleminates it. Worth a call.

If you can easily flatfoot the E900 then consider the seat to foot peg room of the compact smaller displacement models Vs the 1000/1100 models. Even older 900/750 models are compact bikes. All feel light and compact. Then there's the Multistrada 1000/1100 models and Hypermotards. My buddies with dirt backgrounds love the Hypermotards. The Multistrada seem like lighter faster E900's for the road and one of the most underrated bikes around.

2015 Scrambler 800
E900 to 696

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »

Motowheels. Will do. I am 6'1" and the Fant fits inseam perfect. I have been racing dirt bikes off and on since the 80's, much safer than street haha! Had lots of tall bikes and ready for another small. Downsized over last 5 years now only have WR250R and E900, both similar but opposite ends of spectrum, both geared for off pavement.  I looked at all Ducati's and initially chose the 696 on looks alone. Further research I loved the dual exhaust, wet clutch, light weight and compact rider compartment. I know the 696 is considered a beginner bike by many but we all know it's 90% rider 10% bike when it comes to going fast. I have had several Yamahas, a couple KTM's, a few Hondas, Kawasakis but only 1 Ducati. It's not even a proper Ducati, it's half Cagiva and half dirt oriented. Out of all the bikes I have owned the Ducati stands out as the most fun and makes me want another. I need to calm down and stop taking dirt trails and railroad tracks home to avoid traffic, hoping a proper street bike will help with that. Only problem is, the more I look the more undecided I become...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »

I reckon you need to sit on a few Ducati models to settle on a good ergo fit, like buying a good suit. You're right about the rider, a bike that gells with you means more than outright power. With your dirt background, a Hyper would be awesome. If you want a more sensible amount of power, the HM796 with the 800 motor could be a great bike.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:59:59 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: