Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 02:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R 1000 suspension adjustment: rambling thoughts and questions  (Read 5613 times)
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »

I think I had gone back to the stock springs but had bought the 0.9s. A fork seal blew on one leg, and so I had the spring replaced with the seal.

The result was so good that I have left it that way.

I believe spring combinations are used a fair bit by people seeking precision - note Slide Panda's post above.

danaid

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »

OP needs to get to a track day event and have a suspension tuner set the bike up while riding on the track!

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »

There's someone here using one linear and one progressive spring too ......

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 08:53:14 PM »

There's someone here using one linear and one progressive spring too ......

Interesting.  I'm not really against progressive springs, more Ducati's choice.  Way to soft 'till near the very end.
JonS2R

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »

OP needs to get to a track day event and have a suspension tuner set the bike up while riding on the track!

For sure! Though that may have to wait until next year most likely  Sad

I'm going to put the OEM springs back in for now to see how they feel. Do you guys happen to know the length of the OEM spacers?

2007 S2R 1000
JonS2R

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »

I figured I'd update this post as I work on the suspension.

I swapped a Multistrada 1000ds rear shock in a couple of weeks ago. I know guys normally use the 749/999 shock but I got the MS shock for super cheap so I figured it was worth a try. It has compression and rebound adjustments as well as remote preoload. It's about half an inch shorter than the OEM shock so I had to raise the rear to compensate. I started with the baseline setting recommend for the MS and even at that point it rode sooo much better. I haven't had much time to ride it to get it dialed in though. I still need to find a good way to mount the remote preload knob. Right now I just have it zip tied to the frame  Embarrassed

The downside is it really brings out the weakness in the forks. I did end up swapping the OEM springs back in not long after making this post. They're better than the heavier springs that were in there but I'll swap in some springs for my weight sometime soon.

2007 S2R 1000
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »

waytogo

Its common to notice how bad one end is when you've fixed the other.

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »

I would imagine there's a bundle of different brackets for mounting an Ohlins preloader onto most anything, perhaps the ADV folks have something?

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
JonS2R

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »

Ok so I figured I'd order springs now. I was planning to go with the .80 rate but Racetech only goes down to .85. Traxxion only carries .90 and Sonic Springs doesn't carry anything for the 1000 (even their S2R800 springs only go down to .85)

Does anyone have another source for springs?

I would imagine there's a bundle of different brackets for mounting an Ohlins preloader onto most anything, perhaps the ADV folks have something?

I ended up just buying the OEM bracket for it and will source some type of L bracket to mount where the pegs are and then will mount the adjuster to that.

2007 S2R 1000
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »

I guess all riders are over 170 lbs now.
We're both SOL then.
I never thought I could become even more disappointed with R/T. A new low.

You could get the 0.85's and run only one, with the other an OEM progressive.

On my M750, I'm running an S4 spring in one leg, IIRC it's a 0.86, and an OEM progressive in the other.
The rest of the forks are the same sort of mix n match of bits... so not OEM at all.

Brad Black did quite a bit of work with OEM progressives using more preload and less oil.
He's got blog posts in the December 2013 to May 2014 dealing with it.
http://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2014/05/showa-43mm-adjustable-fork-design-and.html

Interesting.  I'm not really against progressive springs, more Ducati's choice.  Way to soft 'till near the very end.

Yes, with OEM preload and oil level, they're awful.
Unless you're 140 or so, then they're just crappy.

It's been quite a while, I'll dig through my notes and get some more concrete answers.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

JonS2R

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 06:15:14 AM »

Hmm, do you think I could get away with running one .90 spring? Since I still have the set that came on my bike...

Thanks for all your help!

2007 S2R 1000
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »

Hmm, do you think I could get away with running one .90 spring? Since I still have the set that came on my bike...

Thanks for all your help!

IMO, it would certainly be better than running two .90's, or two OEM.

I hesitate to recommend it, not knowing how you're getting fork work accomplished.
If you're paying a tech to do it, then I think that a 0.9/OEM is not the best place to start, as it might take yet more internal fiddling to get it 'right'.
If you're DIY and game to spend the time, then go for it.

<rant>
Take specific and detailed notes of what springs and oil you're running, damper screw settings, how it feels when you ride it with those settings, etc. etc. etc.
Make your best effort on this, it is unlikely that you can take too many notes.
If you do not, it is nearly impossible to avoid getting lost and thus making wrong adjustments and wasting resources.
I've been doing R&D testing as part of my job for over 3 decades, my FHE is that crappy/no notes = you're make the beast with two backsed.
I see amateur racers that run season after season with no log book at all, so they've no accurate records of when what was done, nor what settings used, or results.
No checklist of what equipment to bring, no checklist of what pre-race tasks need to be done.
They have no idea why the bike doesn't behave the way it used to or why it breaks down all the time.
Honestly, it's an absolute disaster.
And zipties as structural fasteners....it makes me weep.
</rant>

There's a couple of annoying traps you can fall into with running different springs in each side:

Your forks have top-out springs in them; small springs in the damping cartridge that keep the fork from topping out with a clank.
With the front wheel not supporting any weight, as you add/remove preload, the forks will extend/retract a little bit, as you've got springs pushing against each other.
Different rate springs make the forks extend/retract different distances for the same # of turns on the preload.
So even moderate changes in preload can make it really hard to get the axle in or out.
Countermeasure:
Install the forks at the same outer tube height, with zero preload.
The stiffer spring's preload adjuster is the 'master', and the softer one is the 'slave'.
Fit the axle *only*, adjust the 'slave' preload such that it slides in and out easiest.
*Write that setting down* IE master 0, slave 1/2 turn.
Run the master preload in a couple turns, adjust the slave again.
"master 3, slave 4 3/4" (or whatever)
Step up a couple more times.
Finally, run the slave all the way in, and adjust the master.
"Master 13 1/2, slave 17"
That's your max.
You've now got a table to refer to for settings.
With that, you can avoid a lot of aggro and fuxxored parts.

Set the total length of the springs + spacers the same each side, as OEM and aftermarket springs are almost never the same length.

Racetech springs are often a bit smaller diameter on the inside, and they hang up on the plastic cup gizmo that's on the damper rod.
Remove said cup if that's the case.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 07:10:29 AM »

Awesome advice waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: