Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 05, 2024, 11:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clock Issue  (Read 2876 times)
Drawbridge

« on: July 13, 2018, 06:08:15 PM »

I've had issues getting the clock to keep time on my 2016 1200S since I bought it new.  I set it and it keeps time for awhile and then it just stops.  Everything else on the instrument panel seems to be working fine, but this clock thing is driving me nuts.  I have had some issues lately changing the riding mode and getting it to save. Not sure if these issues are related, but I am concerned about having computer related issues long term.  I have had the dealer look into this since day one, but to no avail.  The issue keeps returning.  Any thoughts?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Jerry
Buhgaboo

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »

The clock... seriously....give it another 1k miles...if the clock is still your only problem turn it to the odometer and remember the feeling and note the mileage
Drawbridge

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »

Thanks for sharing your opinion.  I really appreciate you taking the time to give me grief about a clock.  Just so you know, I could give a crap less about the clock, but am more concerned about the potential for a longer term, more serious problem.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »

Alright...didn't mean to dig that deep... apologies...what are we talking about exactly...my clock runs a bit fast/slow like every Casio watch I owned as a child....we talking 5 min for the week...5 min for the day...I've built clocks from scratch, seriously...the quartz Crystal timing the thing could be receiving the wrong voltage...how many miles...how old is the battery...replacing the dash unit for a bad time keeping is a bit absurd but is justifiable

What is the intervals between uses/rides...how long are they...are you charging or otherwise straining the electrical system...try leaving it on a battery tender for two weeks...if it's battery sulphides it should be  brought back to normal in that period...if it seems ok for a few days then goes bad replace the battery...if it's still wrong you may have a phantom draw...pull all the fuses and note the time...begin installing them one by on each day to isolate the circuit....aside from sarcasm/apologies this would be my next approach...
Pazzo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »

I notice the same thing on my โ€˜15 821. About 2-4 times per year it bothers me enough to reset. I like the clock because it is my commuter and I can make it 20-35 minutes depending on the route and how fast I choose to ride. I have been late before because I trusted the time on my dash. Only a few minutes either way, but as a CPA it bugs the shit out of me. I ride daily about 50-85 mile round trip commute so I can watch it slowly change over the weeks.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »

If the clock gains/loses a few minutes over a period of time that is normal, if it goes brain fart that is a problem.  Any pattern to it?  Battery or charging system condition could be a cause, but I doubt it since the bike starts.  You could fully charge the battery and have it load tested and check the charging rate at the battery (13.5 - 14.5 volts at 3K RPM) to rule that out.

2016?  Still under warranty?  Speak to your dealer.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »

+1
Warranty check up. Could be a software upgrade or part replacement recall/update pending.

2015 Scrambler 800
Drawbridge

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 03:27:21 AM »

Buhgaboo, I ride back and forth to work everyday (35 miles round trip).  Sometimes the clock won't work for days, sometimes it won't work for hours.  It's really hit and miss.  I keep the battery charged.  I've had the dealer check it twice.  In both cases they did some download and it worked fine for awhile, but then just quit again.  As far as I can tell, the only thing on the dash that is impacted is the clock.  I have an appointment upcoming, but thought I would reach out to this forum to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.  I should have kept my 09.  I didn't have a single issue with it.  Oh wait, it didn't have a clock!  Wink

As for the grief, I'm fairly thick skinned.  Cool  No need for apologies. I should have asked in a different way.   chug  Bottom line, I'm losing confidence in the fact that I won't experience any long term display issues and wonder a lot whether there isn't something going on that isn't as apparent as the clock.  I'll keep on the dealer about identifying and addressing the issue.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 04:44:17 AM »

I was working on the assumption that it was not keeping time consistently...that leads to an electric issue...if it is actually stopping or showing no time at all, that is really bizarre...solution should be a replacement... electronic issues can stem from anything... moisture...change in temp...dealer will eventually sort you out...often a slow process...hang in there
Pazzo

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »

I was working on the assumption that it was not keeping time consistently...that leads to an electric issue...if it is actually stopping or showing no time at all, that is really bizarre...solution should be a replacement... electronic issues can stem from anything... moisture...change in temp...dealer will eventually sort you out...often a slow process...hang in there
๐Ÿ”X2

Mine might gain or loose time, but it always works. I agree that it sounds like a bigger electrical display issue and would hope the dealer will straighten it out... Eventually.

What dealership?  I have had one warranty issue and the local dealer was such a dick to deal with I ended up calling Ducati North America to get it all straightened out and brought my bike to MotoCorsa, about 3 hours away. They fixed it the first time.  Some dealers just put more attention on the customer retention than others. Is it possible to have another dealership take a look at it?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »

Though an inoperative clock is not the end of the world (admittedly I would be quite annoyed) it is important to have a paper trail with the dealer in case of a bigger problem in the future.
Buhgaboo

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »

I think I have your solution!!!...you might be looking at trip time...clock is next...I recall doing the same thing
Scroll through the menu...mileage...trip a trip b...trip time...then clock
GK

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 02:56:13 AM »

I think I have your solution!!!...you might be looking at trip time...clock is next...I recall doing the same thing
Scroll through the menu...mileage...trip a trip b...trip time...then clock

Man I hope itโ€™s that simple.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Drawbridge

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 04:15:39 AM »

Thanks for the comments, guys!  Funny thing about the "trip time."  It works fine, but "clock time just flat out stops.  I just discovered a possible concurrent issue; the security flashing lights (flashing to signal security system is armed) doesn't always flash when the bike is off and in the garage or at work.  There may not be a connection at all, but seems awful coincindental.

At any rate, I have an appointment at my dealer (Ducati Indianapolis) on the 24th of this month.  I'll see to it that the issue is resolved, one way or another.  I will follow up with outcome.

Thanks for all your insight!
Buhgaboo

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:41 AM »

That light only blinks for 12hrs after the key turns off
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: