Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 01:09:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rode through a hell of a storm yesterday  (Read 2746 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »

Rode home in a monsoon last night. I've been in heavy rain before but not like this. I'm glad it was only for about 15 minutes before I got home.

I learned that my visor doesn't quite seal and in biblical rain moisture can get on the inside. Makes it *really* hard to see.

I took mosiertown road home vs the highway. For the first time in my life I experienced a surprise water crossing.

On the road.

At speed.

I was doing about 40 which I felt was a safe speed for the given conditions. I happened upon a 20-30' wide river, a few inches deep and had about two seconds to figure out what to do.

Not enough time to slow down I'm wondering if this is deep enough water to cause me to go down.

I stood up, got my weight back and plowed through it.

And lived.

And I got to do this about 8 more times. Flash flooding will provide such challenges.

A couple of these were obviously wide with fast moving water.  I slowed way down to a first gear pace and the water actually pushed me off to the side as I rode through.

As I got into town they're were multiple roads closed and the North St / North Main intersection was COVERED with flood debris. Gravel and baseball sized chunks of road *everywhere*. Apocalypse type shit.

Of course nothing I had on was waterproof. Or water resistant. I was soaked like I'd jumped in the lake.

I was asked why I didn't just drive the shop truck home and be dry.

We'll first of all, I rode there. I can ride back. Ditching the bike would have been weak.

Besides, sometimes I need to experience Man vs. Nature.

Bring it, Nature!

Generated from my Motorola Moto G using tools.rackonly.com

Generated from my Motorola Moto G using tools.rackonly.com

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
NAKID

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »

Congrats for keeping it upright! I've been in a few torrential downpours myself, almost always unexpected, and those experiences I believe have made me a better rider. The same with heavy winds.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »

I probably should have been going slower Tongue

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
GK

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »

Good job, sounds like quite the adventure!
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »

Good job, sounds like quite the adventure!
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Always is.

I don't mind knowing I'm going to get wet, and I don't mind being wet either. What I hate is the transition.

You from being dry to cold water making it's way into you ass crack and nether regions.

After that point I'm always like "make the beast with two backs it, let's rock", and I want to keep riding.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »

applause
Haven't done that in a long time. I remember once being young, strong and fearless. waytogo For seven years motorcycling was my only mode of transport (5 years T140, 1 year XLH 1000, 1 year FX1200). I think your bike was a better choice to do flood crossings. Cheesy
Yep, the "transition", a cold finger working it's way down...  laughingdp. It's ok going home in the wet, to a hot shower, but don't you hate getting soaked on the way to somewhere!

2015 Scrambler 800
GK

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »

Ah yes, the old water down the ass crack thing, that first trickle signalling the discomfort to come! 😫😫

JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »

Cold finger laughingdp

Generally I'll drive if I know I can't get to my destination and be dry.

Going home is another story. Like you said, there's a hot shower there waiting Cheesy

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

It really is a sense of achievement getting through tough conditions and extending yourself. Extreme heat, extreme cold, crap roads, slick roads, huge distance in one shot. I think that's why I like track days as it's sanitized as I'm a sook on the road nowadays, so I'm clearly getting soft. Grin Do you do fast dirt road work on that thing?

2015 Scrambler 800
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »

Maybe 1% of my riding is on a dirt road.

There's no difference between this and a Monster when on dirt. They really shouldn't be there Grin

ffemt

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 12:45:14 AM »

Haha glad you and the bike arrived home safely - awesome skillz! Unless its a typhoon nearby our rain showers can be heavy but only last for a few minutes. Sometimes I briefly wonder if I should wait out rain in general at a gas station or shop but then I see the local Okinawans blitzing by on 125cc scooters with regular clothes, a helmet dangling in the wind with the strap around their neck and flipflops or barefeet. Yup I'm riding too!

Joe
Okinawa, Japan (currently)
Sacramento, CA (hometown)

2010 Monster 1100 S
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 02:45:16 AM »

Haha glad you and the bike arrived home safely - awesome skillz! Unless its a typhoon nearby our rain showers can be heavy but only last for a few minutes. Sometimes I briefly wonder if I should wait out rain in general at a gas station or shop but then I see the local Okinawans blitzing by on 125cc scooters with regular clothes, a helmet dangling in the wind with the strap around their neck and flipflops or barefeet. Yup I'm riding too!

From what I gather folks in that general area of the world seem to completely ignore the rain when it hits.

I read they dry out a fast as they get wet. Or something along those lines.

Flip flops...Shocked

E900 to 696

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 04:52:51 AM »

To me, waving to other motorcyclists is not my favorite thing to do. BUT, when I see a fellow rider battling the elements of a monsoon or other torrential weather, a fist in the air is in order! Been caught in the riding home from work dilemma more than once. Wrapped my feet in plastic wrap and worn a trash bag many times. Your post reminded me of one ride home in particularly Nast weather. I was almost home on the road behind my house and I swear I must have got hit by a mini tornado. I was white knuckling it about 10-15 mph, almost zero visibility and poof... I was blown across the road about 10 feet into opposing lane. Bike stayed perfectly upright somehow and I made it around the corner to home. Not really sure how it happened but it did!
Blackout

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 06:44:10 AM »

Funny how we all have that hated shared experience of the first trickle of water down the old ass crack. It's at that point when I know I'm going to be miserable for awhile.
Cheers chug

2003 Ducati Monster 800
2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Honda CR250
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke
GK

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »

ACP

Ass Crack Precipitation! It’s a terrible condition!

I haven’t had it for many years, but I remember that it’s best treated with one or two doses of warm weather riding.

Gone but not forgotten!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: