Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 07:36:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moto GP Assen (spoilt)  (Read 8552 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »

I can't remember if it was him or even King Kenny. I bet Rainey was one of the first riders to really understand what was happening. Is Marky doing this more than the others? One things for sure, he uses shredded tyres better than the rest. I reckon he's very very strong for his size and doesn't weaken over a race distance. So if spinning saves the rear tyre how does he save the front? Do you notice too that he passes on the power diving up the inside more than out braking ? Even if he passes on the brakes he really catches them on the drive. He's passing on the gas on corner entry so maybe that's how he saves the front tyre. Pure conjecture of course as I have no idea what he's doing! laughingdp

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »

The stuff I've read on the Michelins is that the soft/medium/hard naming doesn't necessarily mean only the rubber that touches the track.

They can have a medium and a hard that use the same rubber on the track, but have different carcass stiffness.
From the rider and bike setup side, I think that sort of thing would really suck.

One of the Espargaros said the classical 'soft tire for cold track' 'medium tire for moderate track' 'hard tire for hot track' isn't necessarily the case with the Michelins.
He said some tracks get really greasy when they're hot, and they don't give enough grip to get a 'hard' tire up to operating temp, so they have to drop back to a medium or even soft.

Re: tire spinning, I remember Lawson saying that powering up off the apex he'd see he was going to run wide, so he'd open the throttle more.

Someone (Rins?) said a while back while following MM for a big slice of a race, he noticed MM changing his style slightly at some point because of the tires going off, but it was prior to the tires going off, rather than after.

I remember the 'just getting the top layer hot' was the explanation that was developed to explain how McCoy was able to spin the tires so hard and not overheat them.
I've seen oval track Midgets consistently haze the outside rear tire in the corners on big asphalt tracks, but they can only do it for ~4 laps or so.

When Nicky first went out on the Pirelli-shod SBK Firenail, he came back in after just a few laps, asking why they sent him out on underinflated tires.
The Pirelli's carcasses were so squishy compared to the rock hard Bridgestones he was used to.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »

That's right, Michelin are playing with carcass structure. It must be driving the team engineers nuts and undermining rider confidence. Doesn't seem to worry Marky too much.
I think this carrying over to sport street tyres. They're folding the ply over on the side wall. Metzler stated doing this awhile back too with one compound but different carcass strength. I think the Michelin Pilot Power 3 is being faded out for the Power RS.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:41:58 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: