Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 11:43:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 07 s2r 1k heavy clutch, can you make it less heavy; ATCP? Installed Oberen C Sla  (Read 3405 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »

Some creative Options I'v been mulling over ... (question is why so heavy? (not much more torque there than an 800). Ideally a slipper clutch would be nice; but that seems very spend-y; so lower cost alternatives being considered.

Installed stainless steel clutch springs with aluminum caps last week; looks / sounds nice but not much difference in the heavy pull.

Could one put a 800 ATCP clutch components (..not the clutch plates ...Wink- ) in the 1000 dry?; or does it rely on oil?

Could lengthen the clutch spring bolts?

squish springs in a vice ... leavening overnight?

"anile" spring metal to make them softer ...Huh?

Cheers D

Note: Installed an Oberen Clutch slave 1 month later; very nice clutch pull now nice and light 2 finger pull.  Grin

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:38:11 AM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »

Aftermarket slave cylinder with 29-30mm bore may soften the pull. Oberon, EVR, STM, Ducabike, Yoyodyne , etc.

Some stainless springs like TPO springs are stiffer than oem, so watch out for that. Iirc, Corse Dynamics make springs that are not too stiff. Check out Barnett springs too. Iirc EVR make different length spring caps that let you tune the spring preload. Longer bolts can work too just ensure you have clearance from the clutch cover. Go as soft as you can without slip.

Our sponsors have what you need.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:48:13 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

some people have removed 2 opposing springs, but I dont think thats a good idea. You can also change your levers, get a radial clutch master, and a bigger piston slave. Its a combined effect, but ultimately, those springs are just heavy.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »

A slipper is not a great idea for a street bike.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:01:08 PM »

The downside to removing two opposing springs is it will slip prematurely.  My recommendation:  Big bore slave or http://www.racerxvt.com/article/forearm-specific-strength-training

I only find the pull objectionable in prolonged heavy traffic and prefer the conventional clutch to the APTC clutch, better (IMO) feel.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »

I've never had a lot of time to get used to an APTC, so when I do ride one, it does feel a bit weird.
Both S2R800 and SBK848 have the feel.
I think it's just a bit non-linear, a little grabby.
If it was what I rode consistently, I'd likely not even notice it after a while.

I fitted some second hand stainless springs to my S4 and it was horrendous, Popeye would've cried.
No idea what they're for, IIRC 4 springs felt about right.

I've tried with just 4 normal springs, and it's quite light, actually ends up with a bit of a feel problem if the slave cylinder is larger than OEM.

The existing springs can be shimmed under the cap to take a bit of load off.
If you don't use the clutch too hard, you can get away with less pinch.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
DuciD03

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »

lots of good feedback; "tanks" gentlemen.  waytogo

Im getting used to the bike and clutch; Think the springs installed when I got the bike were the extra heavy
"find the pull objectionable in prolonged heavy traffic " 1+
I'll look into big bore
2nd suggestion... Roll Eyes ... im not weak wristed ...(I knew -someone - was going to chime in with that ...I can hear you chuckling as you posted that! Grin)

Was out tonight testing an open top air box, cool idea, you can really hear the engine more through the intakes; there might be a slight increase in performance ...

other thing I was paying attention to was the clutch with new stainless springs; they might be ome spec; so slightly not as heavy ... thing is threse's so much torque at the rear Im getting rear wheel lockup when downshifting aggressively.

oh and a duc tec suggested removing 3 springs;it felt too light (thought no way) and put them back ..lol

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:53:23 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »

Wagner Lewis clutch

or

get a grip exerciser

my stock dry clutch feels fine to me

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »

I've not seen oem springs in stainless only aftermarket. The heaviest were TPO brand ime. Those springs are more likely heavier so would be good to compare to oem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:01:40 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »

whats the real complaint though?

do you start to fatigue riding in traffic or something? the APTC clutch has a tiny engagement point at the very end on my uhhhh M1100??? ( i own an S2R1000 with a motor swap) and ive got size small hands, 5'6" 150lbs. Im not the strongest guy out there and while it is heavy as make the beast with two backs, ive gotten used to both the stock DS1000 motor's dry clutch and the new wet clutch. Its not too much of a difference, but certainly noticeable side by side.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
greenmonster

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 04:22:06 AM »

Barnett clutch pack w 2 removed springs =  soft smooth action, no slipping.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
DuciD03

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:22 AM »

Barnett clutch pack w 2 removed springs =  soft smooth action, no slipping.

Thinking it may have "gotten" a new clutch with heavier springs before I bought; so I'll try the minus 2 springs and see if there's any noticeable slippage. This is the easiest thing to do;

Like the larger clutch slave idea; so what's the stock slave, 28mm Dia?

Other thought; ... there might be an extra metal plate in the clutch pack ...hum; I'de have to take it all out to count plates ...

whats the real complaint though?

... start to fatigue riding in traffic? the APTC clutch has a tiny engagement point....both the stock DS1000 motor's dry clutch and the new wet clutch. Its not too much of a difference, but certainly noticeable side by side.

Complaint is fatigue riding in traffic or longer rides; I broke 3 fingers about 15 yra ago they were getting stiff after riding; the clutch is heavy and very direct on or off (no slippage) getting used to it but its overly grabby ...
I have 2 monsters at the moment (I'll have to sell one eventually; so also trying to decide which one to keep) I really like the 1k but the APTC s2r 800 has the softest nicest clutch (don't even notice using it). I'm 195 - 6'; so lean onto the bars more that you; I get numb palms frequently, either when riding hard or constantly pulling the clutch in heavy traffic ... there's a huge difference between the two.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:57:51 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

DuciD03

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »

tried the 2 less = 4 stainless spring idea.

AND

Ta da!; works amazingly well! nice even pull on the lever and no slippage, and seems to ease up on the rear lockup; the clutch is more forgiving; just what it needed!

Thanks for the suggestions;

Im thinking i'll rotate the 2 out spot every month or 2.

Don't know what to do with the popeye left forearm ...

Cheers!

Dolph

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 04:55:36 AM »

waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
DuciD03

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 08:09:02 AM »

I've never had a lot of time to get used to an APTC, so when I do ride one, it does feel a bit weird.
Both S2R800 and SBK848 have the feel.
I think it's just a bit non-linear, a little grabby. If it was what I rode consistently, I'd likely not even notice it after a while.

I fitted some second hand stainless springs to my S4 and it was horrendous, Popeye would've cried.
No idea what they're for, IIRC 4 springs felt about right.

I've tried with just 4 normal springs, and it's quite light, actually ends up with a bit of a feel problem if the slave cylinder is larger than OEM.

The existing springs can be shimmed under the cap to take a bit of load off.
If you don't use the clutch too hard, you can get away with less pinch.

shimming under the caps is another interesting option; - I'd use a thin stainless washer ...

and as always; detailed, insightful, helpful! thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:46:03 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: