Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 03:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something between clip ons and standard bars?  (Read 3877 times)
JonS2R

« on: June 08, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »

I have an S2R 1k and my dilemma is that I like the pullback and downward angle of clip-ons but I'm not particularly fond of the discomfort of having to lean so far forward.

I hated the angle of the stock bars and ditched them for Rizoma bars that are about the same height but with a little more pullback. I like them more than the stock bars but don't enjoy the body position they put me in when it comes to hitting the corners hard.

I recently replaced the handlebars with 3.5" riser clip ons. They're great for sportier riding but they aren't very enjoyable when I use the bike to commute. Ideally I'd like them to be about an inch higher and closer to me.

I had a VFR before the Monster and really like the setup they use. It's similar to the ST in that the bars are angled like clip-ons but mounted above the triple. However, I don't think something like that would work on the Monster as it would require raising the forks a lot and I don't want to screw up the geometry of the bike.

I've been looking for handlebars that have a lot of pullback with little to no rise but with the S2R 1k using 1" clamps it severely limits the bar options...at least as far as I've been able to find. Something like the Suburban Machinery bars might work but they don't sell them with a 1" center anymore. I've looked at clubman style bars but they look like they put the controls too far forward.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

2007 S2R 1000
greenohawk69

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 08:49:52 AM »

I went with adjustable scooter bars on my 97 M900. Bought either on Ebay or Amazon.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »

SpeedyMoto Fat Tall Boys are ~inch further back and come with the Omni Bars (more adjustable).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:14:22 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

This is what I have.  Work for you?  Dunno.

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/duchypmoto.html
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »

Suburban Machinery

https://www.suburban-machinery.com/hbindex.htm
caperix

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 03:48:54 PM »

They used to offer the St setup as an option for the monsters in the accessories catalog. So it is likely a be a bolt on swap if you can find them.
JonS2R

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:14:58 AM »

They used to offer the St setup as an option for the monsters in the accessories catalog. So it is likely a be a bolt on swap if you can find them.

Hmm that could be a winner for me. Do you know off hand if I can still mount the gauges securely without the original triple since that big U bracket runs through it?

2007 S2R 1000
caperix

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »

The kit the offered was part number 979300226 from the picture in my old 2004 accessories catalog it looks like the bars have guage mounts. I have not looked close enough at the factory ST bars to see if they have that though.
ajw85

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »

You can get some 50 mm clipons with risers and put them below the forks; Woodcraft makes different lengths and then there are all the knock off ones on ebay.

This actually looks pretty interesting:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Billet-CNC-Clip-On-Ons-Handlebar-50mm-Black-HD5/263180012644
JonS2R

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:43 AM »

The kit the offered was part number 979300226 from the picture in my old 2004 accessories catalog it looks like the bars have guage mounts. I have not looked close enough at the factory ST bars to see if they have that though.

Hmm I managed to find a PDF catalog showing everything that comes under that part number kit. It was hard to tell if the triple had mounts but it did show rubber grommets that look like they would have been used as part of mounting the gauges.

I found a cheap ST4 triple on ebay I'm going to install. Then I'll see if I can secure the U bracket well enough before I pull the trigger on getting ST bars and selling the clip ons. Thanks for your advice!

2007 S2R 1000
JonS2R

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »

You can get some 50 mm clipons with risers and put them below the forks; Woodcraft makes different lengths and then there are all the knock off ones on ebay.

This actually looks pretty interesting:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Billet-CNC-Clip-On-Ons-Handlebar-50mm-Black-HD5/263180012644

Those look like Apex knock offs though I'm hesitant to rely on Chinese parts for something as significant as steering controls. I have 3.5" riser clip ons from SV Racing currently installed. They're comfortable enough if I'm going 50+ plus since the wind helps hold me up but still not quite comfortable enough for stop and go traffic commuting. If all I did was ride then I would probably keep them but, when I'm also lifting weights and mountain biking throughout the week, it just becomes too much for my tired back and shoulders.

2007 S2R 1000
caperix

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »

I have woodcraft 3 inch rise under the triple. Its about the same height as the stock bars with a different angle. I have a speedymoto upper triple that will slow higher placement of the clip one. I'm not sure if there is enough space to put the woodcrafts below a factory triple due to the size of the mounts.
Post up pics of the st parts when you get going on it, I think it could be a good option. I think at worse you could build a mount that fits between the bars & triple to hold the guages\u bracket.
JonS2R

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »

I have woodcraft 3 inch rise under the triple. Its about the same height as the stock bars with a different angle. I have a speedymoto upper triple that will slow higher placement of the clip one. I'm not sure if there is enough space to put the woodcrafts below a factory triple due to the size of the mounts.
Post up pics of the st parts when you get going on it, I think it could be a good option. I think at worse you could build a mount that fits between the bars & triple to hold the guages\u bracket.

Yeah I definitely will! I looked at the slimmer triple clamps but they're a bit pricey so I figure I'll try to correct my ergos with the cheaper option first.

2007 S2R 1000
JonS2R

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 05:33:09 AM »

I mounted the top triple last night. The handlebars are in the mail and should arrive next week.

The U bracket is actually very secure even when not mounted to the OEM triple. With the ST4 triple on, the top of the bracket butts up against it tightly and doesn't move it all. However, I didn't realize that the mounting posts for the gauges threaded into the OEM triple so now I need to come up with a solution to mount them.

Looking at the OEM part kit for the above referenced part #, it looks like they included some kind of plug that might have fit onto the U bracket so I'll have to see if I can source something similar.

Clearly I like to dive into projects head first and figure it out as I go along  bang head

2007 S2R 1000
JonS2R

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »

I got the bars today. I didn't realize the ST triple clamp is just about flush with the top of the forks whereas the s2r is lower so the bars just barely interfered with the nut on the fork cap (hence the spacers shown in the parts catalog pic). I raised the clamp up about 2-3mm in order to get the bars to clear the caps. Does anyone know if there's any problem with raising up the clamp just a little like that? It's maybe a millimeter taller than the steering stem nut whereas the nut is slightly taller than the clamp in stock form. It doesn't appear that there should be anything wrong with doing that. It still fully contacts the forks around the clamp area. 

I think these are going to be a winner. The ergos seems spot on with what I wanted. They're maybe about an inch higher and 1-1.5 inches closer. For reference, I'm 5'6"" with probably shorter than average arms for my height hence my aversion to even raised clip ons. They look great on the bike too...very OEM, like it came that way. I think Ducati should have sold it like this in the first place.

I still don't have the gauges mounted though I think I have a simple solution in mind to utilize both the U bracket and the smaller bracket that holds the air temp sensor. I'll hit the hardware store tomorrow and hope they have the right sized hardware that I'm looking for.

Quick pic I took before stopping tonight:

2007 S2R 1000
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: