Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 23, 2024, 06:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rearsets vs. Cramped Knees on my '01 M900s  (Read 6634 times)
diamonddog-2

« on: June 04, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »

So even with an additional 1 inch padding added to the stock seat, my knees still get get stiff after an hour or so.
I'm thinking of getting a set of rearsets to help.   
I need to be able to stand on the foot pegs without worrying weather they'll hold my weight of approx. 200 lbs with full gear  [just to take the weight off of my butt or stretch when needed]
I'm hoping to create less of a bend on my knees, so something that directs my feet back a little and just a tad down [?] would seem to me to be what I'd ideally want?
What might I expect to spend on something that's going to fit the above needs?

Thanks!

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »

Hope this helps

http://www.whaccessories.com/Foot-Peg-Lowering-Kit-Ducati.htm

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
diamonddog-2

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »

Thanks DM620.  It looks as if the only thing available on that site is a set of adjustable footpegs, which might be just fine.
I get it that there's an ever-shrinking pool of aftermarket goodies for my '01.
Can you tell me what the difference is between adjustable footpegs and adjustable rearsets?
"sigh"  .....  There's a picture at the bottom of the page of a 821 with what looks like one REALLY comfortable seat on it.   Shocked

Thanks!

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

The rotating type is flexible, but only within what will work with your foot controls. Rearsets, adjustable or not, should position your feet backwards. Often also higher.

I don't know your knee problems. Do you? Pain because of a small knee angle OR pain because of awkward strain? Anyway: peg forward = open knee + closed hip. peg backward = similar knee angle (with different pressure) + open hip.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
diamonddog-2

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »

stopintime,

I can't say for sure what it is that causes my knee issue on the monster. I just know they get stiff after riding for an hour or so. My old BMW K bike's seating position was fine. The Aero is great. It's a completely different riding position with floorboards. Neither bike had my knees folded up much like the duc does. At nearly 59 y.o. my knee joints ARE a little stiffer than in my 40's.  I'm just not sure I like how 'positioning my feet rearwards and often, also higher' sounds or maybe how I THINK it will feel?

Maybe I just need to get off of the bike more often and stretch my legs than I'm willing to admit   Lips Sealed

I contacted Wild Hair Accessories through the link provided by DarkMonster620 [thank you] and figured out that the adjustable footpegs can give up to 2 inches more room for me to play around with. I'm told that "and depending on how I have them positioned they should not interfere with the shifter"  Yeah, hopefully.  Maybe figure 1 inch of usable movement and still use the current controls?

I'd be willing to spend the $ if I could be reasonably sure rearsets would give me the best shot of more comfort.  They sound like they're geared more for racing than for my objective?

The adjustable footpegs are sure enough more affordable, at first blush, than some of the rearsets I've looked at. [approx. $200 with shipping] .... I've also learned that quality [or maybe comfort in my case] is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 11:47:07 PM »

The seat mods: Probably not much added height once compressed by the rider, but if it helped, you might try more of the same - which is lowered foot pegs. Forget two inches - that won't work with the controls at all. Maybe half an inch. The owner's manual explains how the foot controls are adjusted, or maybe you know, either way... figure out where and what the possible clearance issues (feet/controls) will be and if it's possible to adjust enough.

It doesn't take much adjusting to feel a big improvement, but at our age we're better off exxpecting some pain and deal with it as best we can.

greenmonster

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 05:03:52 AM »

About 1 inch is possible. Gear lever is easy, problem is brake.
Lower + a little forward pegs makes quite a difference, FHE.

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 07:33:36 AM »

I'm running a Sargent seat and fabbed brackets to relocate the footpeg assemblies down 1" and back 1".
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=72487.0

Opened both hip angle and knee angle, a huge improvement.

Requires modding the header outlets, can mounts, brake lever, etc.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
diamonddog-2

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »

I've looked around a bit after reading what some guys have done and what you guys have said.

I think I'll try a combination of this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/290931068879     and adding a little more to the stock seat pan and probably needing to have it recovered, maybe in a plush diamond style pattern.

The adjustable footpegs rotate 360 degrees and will adjust 25mm or 40mm   40mm seems like the brake MAY possibly still work but the shifter?...not so much,  so I'm figuring approx. 25mm [1 inch] change.  You guys seem pretty savvy with metals fabrication and modifying.    bow down    That's a little [ok, a lot] above my pay grade.  I'll have to try a more plug-and-play approach and keep my fingers crossed that I hit a sweet spot without going $ crazy.

GK

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »

I have a set similar and they’re okay. Gear lever is fine, the brake was indeed hard to reach.

I have more comfort but still not ideal, plus my boot scrapes a lot.

No big deal, but worth noting.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
diamonddog-2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 06:39:59 AM »

GK  ... Thank you for sharing!  Were your knees the problem?  or were you just overall looking for more comfort?  Can you tell me just how far out you extend the footpegs?  25mm [1 inch-ish?] or more?  Did you direct the pegs downwards for max comfort? backwards?  a combination?  forwards?

So, am I correct in assuming that the rearsets are designed more for racing than what I'm looking to gain?  I'm TRYING to be careful where/what I put my limited funds towards. I'd rather not throw $100 needlessly at a relatively easy-to-install "fix" if there's something else that has noticeably better results even though it costs more.

Does that make sense?

I've never ridden a bike with rearsets and I'm not sure that the backwards and slightly higher positioning, as explained, sounds like it's more comfortable than the stock set up....but what do I know? 

Any thoughts based on experience are appreciated.  I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.  I just REALLY love this bike and want to make it as comfortable, safe and enjoyable to ride as I can and ride it for as long as I can.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »

Let's say you're going racing... install clip ons and lean forward a lot. Then you'd be happy with the rearward function to open the hips a bit. BUT this requires pegs with more grip to avoid feet slipping down and off. It also often puts a new kind of pressure on the knees.

Another story: more than a few rearset buyers, instead of asking first, discover that their expensive 'rearsets' does NOT position their feet rearward - only up. The older versions from Sato Racing surprisingly didn't offer rearward at all - only up and forward (!!!). Japanese customers usually need that instead of what the larger Euro/US customers need. I estimate that 9 out of 10 buyers don't know what they buy and are 'happy' with the bling effect.

Lowering the pegs CAN end up with them scraping the ground. Maybe dangerous, maybe not. Obviously more comfortable. 

GK

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »

GK  ... Thank you for sharing!  Were your knees the problem?  or were you just overall looking for more comfort?  Can you tell me just how far out you extend the footpegs?  25mm [1 inch-ish?] or more?  Did you direct the pegs downwards for max comfort? backwards?  a combination?  forwards?

My left knee was playing up a bit,  probably the result of many years of a stiff cable operated manual gearbox in my sedan, that I had converted from an auto.

I was limited in what adjustments I could make and you will be too, due to the relationship between the brake pedal/gear selector and your foot/boot size.

I’ll try to get a picture posted to give you an idea of how it turned out.

It’s certainly not ideal, but better than it was.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »

Improved comfort substantially when I rode it. We swap bikes a bit on a ride and it was good for my knees and hips. More comfy than my stock Monster pegs. The only thing is having to toe in to use the brake. I'm 54, 5'8", 200lbs and have sporting injuries from back in the day. If you can stand the toe in needed to use the brake pedal then it's a cheap fix.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:35:07 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
diamonddog-2

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »

This is great information.  Thanks a lot you guys.  It really helps me to target how to spend my $ and get the most for my buck.

Bar keep!  A round on me!     Shots     applause

I'm not expecting a magic cure by changing just 1 thing but I'm hoping to bring some relief to both my knees and posterior with a change to both the footpegs and seat.

BTW  ....  I noticed a Sargent seat for sale.  Is there a general consensus as to how comfortable these are compared to the stock seat?   Big improvement?  Marginal?  Any thoughts?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: