Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 12:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED HELP - who does aluminum gas tank lining??  (Read 2713 times)
uglyducky
something, words, clever . . .

one way to do this is we can all get naked . . .

« on: May 22, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »

HELP!!!! Does anyone know of a tank lining service that does aluminum?  GTL in Los Angeles no longer does aluminum (http://www.gastanklining.com) and i'm at a loss at this point as I don't want to go to paint until i have the tank lined.

2008 S4RS - Tricolore #324 (about to get bastardized)
2007 S4RS - pearl/red with some tweaks (sold)
2005 S4R - Bastarda Nera (sold)
2001 M900Sie modded to high holy hell (sold)
2001 996 Biposto - (sold)
dirtypunkysocalreggae . . . MANDORiCO
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »

Why not just do it yourself with Caswell?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

GK

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »

Pardon the ignorance, but why does an aluminum tank need lining? I thought the problems arose only from the plaso tanks and ethanol.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »

I dont think it needs to be sealed if the welding was done properly. But the caswell should seal the tank entirely no?

I had a road racing aluminum tank on my old monster, but i dont recall if it was coated or not. unlikely though.

Thats one PURDY tank though!

And I second ducpainter. Just caswell it yourself. The kit runs about $100 and should be easy to do since you dont have to do any intensive prep work like you would need to with a rusty steel tank.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »

Pardon the ignorance, but why does an aluminum tank need lining? I thought the problems arose only from the plaso tanks and ethanol.
It seems that the issues that ethanol creates are not friendly to aluminum either. It's all about the water.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

uglyducky

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:13 PM »

Why not just do it yourself with Caswell?

it's looking like that is the move i suppose. the manufacturer suggested "red kote" - has anyone used that?

GK

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:12 PM »

It seems that the issues that ethanol creates are not friendly to aluminum either. It's all about the water.

Right.

Makes me glad my tank is steel and Ethanol here isn’t standard.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:30:03 AM »

I haven't used Red Kote. I got out of the business myself.

I watched a quick video, and it seems straightforward. The biggest issues with a Duc tank is covering the openings so you can slosh the coating around. I suppose on an unpainted tank it wouldn't be that crucial as you could clean up any mess with solvent.

I'd clean the tank interior with solvent before coating to get any contaminants from forming off the aluminum.

Red Kote is available on amazon.

I think that Caswell would work fine also. It's more expensive, more finicky as far as mixing, and would need to be reduced. I used Caswell straight one time. The stuff is so thick it's impossible to get it to flow all around a tank before it cures.

Give the RedKote a try.

perspective

chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »

Duckpainter,

I have the same tank in the S2R version, and am in the same boat as UglyDucky. I want to coat and paint, and will likely DIY the coat.

When you say "I'd clean the tank interior with solvent before coating to get any contaminants from forming off the aluminum."

Any specific recommendations on the solvent, and would you do any other prep to the interior, like roughing it up, before applying the coating?

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »

I talked to one of my resources on this topic, he said the main issue is getting a good etch on the aluminum prior to coating.

Different alloys etch differently, and there's no way of knowing what alloys are used in the various parts of the tank.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »

I talked to one of my resources on this topic, he said the main issue is getting a good etch on the aluminum prior to coating.

Different alloys etch differently, and there's no way of knowing what alloys are used in the various parts of the tank.
That's true, but Alodine is a proven etch for aluminum. There are different kinds of adhesion, however.

There is chemical adhesion, provided by etching, and mechanical adhesion, provided in many ways.

Without testing, I can't say if Alodine alone will work for either RedKote, or Caswell.

If I was using Caswell, I'd pour a quart of solvent, like MEK, into the tank and slosh it around, drain, and then add a hand full of drywall screws and shake the shit out of it.

Epoxies are tenacious about adhesion to clean surfaces.

perspective

cayman s

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

You might phone them and check with these guys.  They coated the plastic tank on my RSV4 and may be able to do aluminum too. 

T.Markus Customs

Attn: JC PAK BIkes

6909 farmdale ave., unit A

North Hollywood ca 91605

818 759 4724

Interestingly enough, when I Googled that 818 telephone number, I was led this this website, on which they say they do do aluminum:   http://www.gastanklining.com/
uglyducky

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »

You might phone them and check with these guys.  They coated the plastic tank on my RSV4 and may be able to do aluminum too. 

T.Markus Customs

Attn: JC PAK BIkes

6909 farmdale ave., unit A

North Hollywood ca 91605

818 759 4724

Interestingly enough, when I Googled that 818 telephone number, I was led this this website, on which they say they do do aluminum:   http://www.gastanklining.com/

they have told me definitively that they do not. (GTL that is)

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:14 AM »

The other purpose of etching aluminum is to remove any oxides, which can affect adhesion in the very long term. All aluminum aero-space pieces are etched and primed with a zinc rich primer to avoid corrosion long term.

That is possibly what Speeddog's connection was alluding to.

I think it's overkill for a bike tank interior, and unnecessary for adequate adhesion of epoxy. If I was painting the outside, I'd absolutely use an etch.

perspective

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: