Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 04:14:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: buying 696 question  (Read 1610 times)
supercraig1

« on: March 30, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »

Hi all,
New here (actually I think I signed up some time ago when my wife first got the itch for a 696). We are looking at a just traded in 696 at a local dealership. They said the 7500 mile service has been done to this bike. It has just over 5k miles on it. I've read somewhere that the bike computer can't be reset showing this service is done until it gets to that milage. Not sure as we haven't had a monster of this generation before.

Any idea of what to ask next? Also see a few 696s listed locally that look decent but have yet to have the service done. What should I expect this to cost (we are in Brooklyn, NY) if were were to look into those?  I've done valves before on my ZRX but have never tinkered with a Ducati.

Thanks.

-Craig

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 03:16:40 AM »

A 7500 mile service doesn't include much. I don't believe it includes valve adjust, or belts.

How old is the bike? If two years, or more, the belts need replacing.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

daddyducati

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »

Every 7500 miles is valves and oil change.  Every 15000 miles is belts and valves and oil.  The stupid wrench icon only goes on after it flips past 7500 mile intervals and can't be pre canceled.  Learn to ignore it, I have.  The belt thing is up to you.  Replacing timing belts every 2 years seems a bit stupid to me.  I replace them every second valve adjustment.  I've had my 696 10 years and had the belts replaced at 24000 km and will have them replaced at 48000 km this spring/summer.  If i did it to the letter I would have had to replaced those belts 4 times all ready.  A bit of overkill I think.  The belts are thick and strong.  In a car you replace belts every 100,000 km and they are the same thing. 

I would however have a mechanic give everything an inspection and you can lube every thing and change oil and bleed out all the fluids as the clutch slave and brakes can be fussy if they get old or watery fluid in them. I change oil every spring and bleed fluids and lube everything for the riding season.  Chains need oiled often and need to be watched closely and changed every couple of years.  Sprockets seem to go out after every second chain change.  Clean out your fork seals every once and a while using a seal mate and keep it on a battery tender when not in use.  Works for me since 2008.

Just my 2 cents                                                                       
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »

Every 7500 miles is valves and oil change.  Every 15000 miles is belts and valves and oil.  The stupid wrench icon only goes on after it flips past 7500 mile intervals and can't be pre canceled.  Learn to ignore it, I have.  The belt thing is up to you.  Replacing timing belts every 2 years seems a bit stupid to me.  I replace them every second valve adjustment.  I've had my 696 10 years and had the belts replaced at 24000 km and will have them replaced at 48000 km this spring/summer.  If i did it to the letter I would have had to replaced those belts 4 times all ready.  A bit of overkill I think.  The belts are thick and strong.  In a car you replace belts every 100,000 km and they are the same thing.  

I would however have a mechanic give everything an inspection and you can lube every thing and change oil and bleed out all the fluids as the clutch slave and brakes can be fussy if they get old or watery fluid in them. I change oil every spring and bleed fluids and lube everything for the riding season.  Chains need oiled often and need to be watched closely and changed every couple of years.  Sprockets seem to go out after every second chain change.  Clean out your fork seals every once and a while using a seal mate and keep it on a battery tender when not in use.  Works for me since 2008.

Just my 2 cents                                                                        
Your 2 cents won't help him much if you're wrong. Wink

When a belt fails, you'll think that the replacement schedule cost was cheap.

I've stretched it myself, and not been bitten. I've seen it go the other way.

I'd never advise anyone to stretch the interval.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »

Preventive maintenance is conservative since you need to do it before you have a problem.  If a belt breaks at a minimum you will  have bent valves.  Worst case scenario is an engine ready for the scrap bin and even a possible crash.  On a car, the belts don't usually run at such a high RPM or subject to the higher temperatures of your air cooled engine.  Also, the radius of the pulleys is much smaller than on a car engine.  You cannot see the aramid fibers in the belts that hold them together  .Can the belts last four years and longer?  Yes.  Should you take the chance?  Ask your mechanic about the expense of the repair from a broken belt, then decide.
daddyducati

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »

Oh I've been corrected.  What do I know.  Why do I ever post on forums??? 
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 02:43:34 AM »

Oh I've been corrected.  What do I know.  Why do I ever post on forums??? 
You shouldn't be so sensitive. Kiss You're entitled to your opinion.

We don't agree with you.

perspective

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: