Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:25:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many different ECUs on non s*r bikes?  (Read 1903 times)
caperix

« on: February 11, 2018, 07:16:03 AM »

I have a 2004 ducati m620ie.  I plan on putting 695 cylinders & heads with high compression 750 pistons.  I am looking into tuning options & am running into conflicting information on the ECUs used on these bikes.  Most information online says my 2004 should use a 5.9m ecu.  I read my ecu info out using IAW reader from Guzzidiag & it shows I have a iaw5am HW103 ECU.  To make things even more confusing when I look for information on a Ducati performance ECU for the 620 it looks like they may be a iaw5am HW610 ecu.  I have heard that even though the files for the HW103 & the HW610 ecus are both 320 KB they can not be cross flashed.  I am thinking starting the either an 800 tune or a 620DP tune may be my best starting point for getting the fueling correct. So it looks like there have been at least 3 different ecus used on these bikes, can anyone confirm this information? If anyone knows where I could download or purchase a DP map for a 620 or an 800 that information would be appreciated as well.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:04:15 AM »

The second number is the "software"  . . . When you reflash doesn't matter . . . My M620 has the same ECU IAW5AM instead of a IAW59M . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »

AFAIK, S*R bikes used both 59M and 5AM depending on year and model.

My info says your bike should have come with a 59M.

The bike is 14 years old, ECU could have been swapped at some point...

Not knowing what the difference between the 620DP and 800 tune are, I'd start with the 800.

My info on ECUs
'00 and '01 M900 - The ~square 15M unit.
M400 M620 M750 M800 '02 M900 M1000 SomeS2R (likely the 800) S4R Some S4Rs - 59M
Some S2R800  S2R1000 Some M695 S4Rt Some S4Rs -5AM

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
caperix

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »

The second number is the "software"  . . . When you reflash doesn't matter . . . My M620 has the same ECU IAW5AM instead of a IAW59M . . .

Have you reflashed a HW620 file onto a HW103 ECU?  The limited info I can find says that will crash the ECU, so I assumed it was a hardware difference.  I had thought that the 5AM was used on bikes with O2 sensors and idle stepper motors and the 5.9 was used on the bikes with out it.  The more I learn the less sure I am that even ducati knows what ECU they put in at least the small mosters.  The only bikes I can find any info on using he HW103 ECU are 620 monsters and 1000 multistradas.  I am thinking my best option may be to find a used ECU and flash onto that.  Do the DP ecu's alter the ignition map over the factory tune or is it fuel only?  I have a wide band so I think I can handle fuel tuning if the base line map is close.  I am not sure the best way to go about changing the ignition map without any knock sensors to let you know of detonation. 
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »

5am was used in o2 sensor bikes and those with iac . . . afaik, the 620 stock map is as good as a 750 and will even move an 800 with some trim fiddling . . . the reflashes I have used are either Rexxer or tune boy that allow for oem diagnostics . . . I have done a "down tune" for a 620 with a 848 ecu since the 620's was fried, ducati depot reflashed for me and bike is running like it did with the oem, but a bit better since I asked to tune for "race only" termi slip ons and kn filter . . . the hw# you are giving me, I really never bothered

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
caperix

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »

5am was used in o2 sensor bikes and those with iac . . . afaik, the 620 stock map is as good as a 750 and will even move an 800 with some trim fiddling . . . the reflashes I have used are either Rexxer or tune boy that allow for oem diagnostics . . . I have done a "down tune" for a 620 with a 848 ecu since the 620's was fried, ducati depot reflashed for me and bike is running like it did with the oem, but a bit better since I asked to tune for "race only" termi slip ons and kn filter . . . the hw# you are giving me, I really never bothered

I may just be being overly cautious, the information about using non matching hw had me worried.  Good to know you have had success with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: