Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 05:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension Upgrades - Ohlins DU 440 vs. DU 044  (Read 3724 times)
MonsterHPD

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »

Well,
I know there has been some threads and / or posts in threads where other modifications have been made and claimed to work well. Or at least better than stock.

Maybe I should investigate parts availability and update the Showa Blues thread slightly. Since I wrote that thread, I have gained some more knowledge and experience ....
For road use, I do not use the K-tech pistons, Gold Valves are a better alternative for the road (due to the bigger ports). However, if the damping circuit is not modified it does not really help much.

On forks I havemade the last few years I have used only the K-tech reboun valve holder, needle, spring and nut, and standard Showa compression pistons (left-overs from other jobs and scrapped forks).

Maybe someone who has succeeded in improving the standard components to work decently could chime in here? 

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »

My brother has the same bike with Ohlins 440 out back and modified forks. He got the shock and then later on the modified forks from a member wrecking a 2000 M900S. I remember it was greatly improved compared to stock at both ends when I rode it after the changes. The shock was improved as you would expect, but the modified forks had greatly improved road holding and feedback compared to the vague, mushy feel of the stock forks.
Edit: Having pm'ed him, my bro confirmed the forks were much improved from the stock forks. He did not know what was done to them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:37:40 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
diamonddog-2

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »

I realize this thread started on rear shocks and has wandered into fork suspension.

Sorry about that.

I'll be having a meeting next Monday with duc suspension guy and all around wrench, Anthony, to discuss the list of fixes before spring, the costs and my budget, selling my child and whatever else to pay for it all, etc.... I'm pretty sure the 440 and fork service is on the table. I'll see if anyone else has anything to add to koko64, MonsterHPD, greenmonster, ducpainter, etc. current postings and bring anything relevant along. We'll discuss all the points you guys have brought up.   He has tested the Sachs to discover it was only holding a gas charge at approx. 60lbs psi when [I think he said] it should be around 240 psi? He tried filling it but it just dropped back down.

I've been thinking about this front suspension issue. I remember the 01's front end bouncing out of the fall line of a curve I was cranking on last year. It was my first solid ride of the season, just before I stopped riding for the winter. The uneven road surface caused it, the tire bounced up and was "pushed" to outside of the curve by an inch or 2 but I recovered fine. I was leaned over just enough that I remember it spooked me a little. I'd hate for the suspension to feel like it isn't trustworthy, if that makes sense? The cornering of the bike is so much apart of it's allure. That and gettin' off the line quick.  Grin   I just like to open the door of my garage to see it sitting there too.

Anyway, thanks for input.

2001 M900S   2002 Aero 1100   2012 1100 EVO

"Son, I hope God gave you a big d*ck 'cause he sure shorted you on brains"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: