Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ohlins DU440  (Read 7655 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »

M900 DU440 Ohlins base settings.
Checked the manual courtesy of sponsor Motowheels.
Compression 12 clicks
Rebound 14 clicks
Preload 11mm

Any tips or hints with this shock?

I'm 90-95kg/200-210 in gear and rider sag is about 30mm.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:45:04 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:14:06 AM »

I run that shock with stock valving and like it. I couldn't tell you how many clicks I'm running. I do use the remote to adjust the compression based on how the roads are. I don't mess with the rebound.

Eric did change the spring on mine to a 10.0, IIRC, and I probably have closer to 15mm preload.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »

I'll check my spring code. What do you weigh at?

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »

I'll check my spring code. What do you weigh at?
It's been 17 years since that spring went on. I might have weighed 190-195 in gear at the time.

It might be a 10.5 too. I can check the code if you need me to. I do know it isn't the one that it came with.

My experience with springs is a heavy spring with 15mm preload feels more compliant than a light spring with heavy preload...over 15mm.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »

True about spring rate and preload. If my spring is in the 10-11 range it should be workable (hopefully). It is a nice shock and a bonus it came with the bike.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:45:52 AM »

Set the damping according to the manual and it feels great. Very poised and composed but reasonably supple.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »

That's very good news.  Smiley

I've not used that shock.

If you wanted to experiment, first place I would go from here would be to back off the rebound damping. I would probably go eight clicks - which should put it close to full soft - and see how she feels then.

If that's a lot more supple, but pretty bouncy, add rebound click by click until it starts to kill the supple. Then back off a click.

That's assuming supple is what you want.

But you probably have thought of this already.  Grin

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »

Thanks man.
Is that 8 more clicks of rebound damping on top of the 14 out? It feels pretty good at the standard settings.
The standard compression damping setting of 12 out is more damping than I thought would be supple but I guess it controls the shock from collapsing too quickly and packing down.
The shock looks old but works well and its hard to know how much its been messed with inside but boy it feels great. No accounting for reading the instructions Grin.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:35:35 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »

Well, "feels great" is what you want. So you're there. The rest is just a bit of icing that may be available for this particular cake or may not.

Ohlins specs count the clicks from full hard, as I expect you know.

From memory that shock will have about 21 clicks total range on each adjuster.

So 12 out on compression is roughly nine up from minimum, out of 21. If the shock works well there, that says a lot for the compression valving: you are pretty much in the middle with the adjuster, which is optimal. You can go harder or softer, to taste or to suit the conditions.

Similarly, 14 out on rebound is roughly seven up from minimum, out of 21. So about a third of the possible rebound adjustment range.

My suggestion was to back it off a further 8 - that is, in total 22 out. Well, the adjuster will probably freewheel after 21, so you will then be at minimum rebound.

The point of going there is just so that you can see if the shock feels freer and more supple. I think Ohlins sometimes specs more rebound than we want on rough Aussie roads. The result is a rear end that feels a bit rough or fatiguing on the bumpy bits, although it is really nicely tied down on the smooth bits.

Certainly the case with mine. I think I am three or four rebound clicks softer than Ohlins spec, on what is a standard Ohlins rebound stack. Fairly recently I decided I wanted a bit more control, and deducted just one of those clicks - i.e. went a single click back towards full hard from where I had been. The difference on bumpy bits from just that single click was profound.

So I reversed that change pretty soon. If I were racing, I might wind on more rebound. But for the road, a setting right on the edge of too bouncy works best for me.

The only reason I suggested winding off the full extra 8 (or 7, probably) was so you could see what she felt like at minimum rebound. As an alternative, just wind off four.

The change, when the shock stops packing down and instead recovers fully from each bump is quite noticeable. It feels almost as though the rear brake had been dragging and suddenly it's released.

Hope that helps some. It may well be that on that shock, Ohlins spec is spot-on.

OTOH it might also be that the rebound stack is identical to what they use on my DU333, for which they also recommended 14-out. I think I've settled on 17 out, but could be a click either way.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:42:20 PM by Moronic » Logged

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »

The OEM Ohlins I started with for my 750 wasn't what I would call supple.

I suspect your shock has been tuned.
Perhaps mine had been tuned the other way before I got it.
We'll never know.  Undecided

I'm still running that Penske, and remain quite impressed how well it works straight out of the box.  chug

Keep in mind the knob on the shaft controls a needle/orifice valve, and generally the Ohlins have little or no check-valve on that circuit.
So when you turn the knob, it changes both compression and rebound.

The knob on the reservoir is usually just a needle/orifice valve and check-valve so it does compression only.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:48:14 PM »

Thanks mate. The shock has been on the bike for all of its four owners, so that's awhile. It works real well as does the 440 on GK's M900Sie. Both quite supple yet controlled. We are both pretty heavy so maybe the compression valving is correct for us. Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
MonsterHPD

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »

I would agree with Speeddog, as they come  Öhlins dampers tend to be "sporty" rather than supple.

When I do a base setting on the rebound, I bounce the forks / shock, and watch how they rebound; the forks should do just a small top-out and resettle slightly, and the rear should just not do that 8i.e., top out slowly but not re-settle). That gives a fair starting point, the rest is up to personal feel and preferences, and type of ridng, of course.  I prefer to start all settings on the soft side, since to firm settings can feel deceptively fine, especially on smooth surfaces, when in reality beeing to firm. The procedure is not my idea, it´s been described often enough in varous articles and it works well for me. 

Below a shock dyno graph, showing the effect of changing rebound with compression unchanged (Öhlins DU5034, intended for S4RS Monster, but with shimming softened). There is a small effect on the compression as well, but I do not think us mere mortals will feel the difference.

Skärmklipp 2018-01-23 09.41.58 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

I think the Penske has a check valve in the rebound adjuster, to eliminate this effect. It also has useful high speed / low speed adjusters. My expert / professional friends rate the Penske highly.

As for springs, again a matter of personal taste, I believe. As long as the sag numbers are within reasonable limits, the difference in spring stiffness will not be that big. personally, I prefer softer springs with more preload since it allows more suspension movement. The Öhlins for the "ST generation" Monsters came with 100 N/mm springs, and an ST4S came with 95 N/mm; I have that spring on my DU5034 on the M800.   

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 01:52:10 AM »

Thanks man waytogo. Interesting graph.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »

Mine from a 851, bought and renovated over 15 years ago.
No moddings.
Spring: 1095/31-95  230. 27 mm threads showing.
I'm 93 w/o gear.

"Set the damping according to the manual and it feels great. Very poised and composed but reasonably supple."

Same here. Maybe 1-2 clicks-done!
Same procedure on 3 Ducs now...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:30:12 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »

The OEM Ohlins I started with for my 750 wasn't what I would call supple.

<snip>
Did you have the stock spring on yours?

perspective

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: