Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:36:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How old are your gears? When to replace them?  (Read 9525 times)
S21FOLGORE

« on: December 23, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »

Another Fortnine vidoe.

To me personally, the gloves have been the shortest lived item of all the riding gears.  Partly because I tend to like to wear racing gauntlet with thin leather panel on the palm . (Even though I wash mine at least once a year, they don't last that long.  Especially if you wear one pair all the time. Wearing two pairs will make them last much, much longer.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:37:53 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
danaid

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »

I now have acquired many different types of gear so they rarely get to wear out before I sell each piece. I have one helmet that is coming up on the ten year mark, which is the expiration time set by some manufacturers.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »

I've been pondering this question a lot lately.
My Helmet is the same age as my bike (2008), gloves are 2010, boots are dead (shooping for new ones now). My jacket is at least 15 years old (Spidi moto leather), and I really don't want to replace it, because it has worn into the shape of me and my armor, and is sooo comfortable. But it is all old, and probably needs refreshing. I still don't have "good" pants for the street. I usually wear my old MX pants with knee, shin, and hip armor in place, but I think I need to do better here as well, since I am getting old and can actually afford better protection now Grin. 2018 will likely see me in some fancy new crash gear.

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
NAKID

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »

My favorite pair of boots finally gave up the ghost this year after 10 years of faithful service (Oxtar TCX Evo RX, the sole started to separate from the boot). I go through gloves quick, they typically last less than a season for summer gloves. I do ride a lot, about 17k miles a year, but still, I wear through the left glove (and grip) fairly quickly. My summer jacket is about 10 years old as well, I only got my fIrst dedicated winter jacket last year. Both are AGV Sport. I've been through several helmets, and next to gloves, that's what gets replaced the most frequently.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »

My summer race style gloves (not mesh) ripped apart when I was pulling them on. Hmmm, the leather tore like paper, a testament to their age and my neglect. In the bin. Replaced with Alpine Star SP8's.

Summer mesh jacket tore the fabric and was also binned. Over ten years the synthetic material just broke down under the summer sun's bombardment. Replaced with Ixon mesh jacket.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »

I just replaced my leathers after maybe 13 years.

The old ones were literally falling apart.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 06:35:28 PM »

I just replaced my Held Phantoms with the Phantom 2.

The originals lasted 12 years, rain, sweat, three low sides at the track and have had zero cleanings.

I figure they don't owe me anything.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 09:18:08 AM »

I just replaced my Held Phantoms with the Phantom 2.

The originals lasted 12 years, rain, sweat, three low sides at the track and have had zero cleanings.

I figure they don't owe me anything.
I'm on my second pair of held 'Steve's'. I wish I could get 12 years out of a pair of gloves.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »

I'm on my second pair of held 'Steve's'. I wish I could get 12 years out of a pair of gloves.

Stop putting your hands on the ground while you crash Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Stop putting your hands on the ground while you crash Grin
Me...crash? Tongue

perspective

chipripper

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 06:43:09 AM »

I just got my bike back together after a year of maintenance, and went for a shakedown ride. My Thor MX boots that I use for quickies around town fell apart on my feet during the ride! The ski boot buckles and the straps they attach to both just disintegrated, and were flapping all over when I got back home. Good bye junky 10yr old boots, hello new quality boots. Not sure what to buy yet, but I am happy I get some new gears.

Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »

I just got my bike back together after a year of maintenance, and went for a shakedown ride. My Thor MX boots that I use for quickies around town fell apart on my feet during the ride! The ski boot buckles and the straps they attach to both just disintegrated, and were flapping all over when I got back home. Good bye junky 10yr old boots, hello new quality boots. Not sure what to buy yet, but I am happy I get some new gears.

My Thor 50/50 boots, probably with the same buckles, are ~8 years old and have been my daily boots. No issues.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:09:41 PM by stopintime » Logged

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
chipripper

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »

Hey Stopintime, same boots. Give them a good inspection where the buckle straps are sewn into the boot body. Mine were all cracked and dry at the stiching, and broke off. 10 yrs is not bad for an inexpensive boot. I definitely got my money's worth. waytogo I have some Gasolina shortcuts en route for a basic boot, and am still shopping for something with real serious protection.

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »

Apparently, they (Thor) switched the manufacturer, at around 2012.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/thor-50-50-boots-son-of-a.783346/

By this time, I think the replacement parts are no longer available.
Well, maybe you can find them on eBay (NOS).

But, if the leather itself is getting cracked, it's time for a new pair ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: