Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 05:51:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Ducati 696 w/1000 miles or 2013 Ducati 696 ABS w/4000 miles?  (Read 4331 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »

Two good reasons for ABS on a bike, IMO: 

Prevent lock up in unpredictable low traction surface
    Occasional brain fart
daddyducati

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »

NAKID, also OP (if still following the thread), don't bother about that post.

He only posted two ever since he joined (which is  about  a year and a half ago.)
 Both are not really helpful.

(His another post)
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=75000.msg1378797#msg1378797

This is why I don't post much.  Someone asks, others give an opinion and everyone jumps all over them for having the wrong opinion. 

BTW: kind of creepy your researching my post history. 
daddyducati

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »

Lets try this for helpful.  I have a 2008 696 that I have put 50 000km on since I bought it new.  I love that little bike.  It has good power but is easy to manage, it has good handling characteristics and has never suprized me.  Lastly the brakes are easy to manage and modulate.  The simplicity and lack of complex electronics systems like ABS, traction control, modes, and whatever else are what keep that bike in my garage.  I would buy that same bike again if I was do it over again.  I do get that electronics are the new normal and are far superior to human reaction time but there is something to be said about squeezing the brakes and then twisting the throttle on a tight corner all on your own and getting it just right that is so satisfying.  I didn't buy a bike cause it was safe or practical.  I bought it for fun and to challenge myself, as most buyers do.  Call me old fashion or even archaic if you must but the non ABS 2009 696 is a great little bike and I would highly recommend it.  You could spend the money you save on a good once over at a shop and even do a few mods to make it your own. 

I hope that helps.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:41 AM »

Two good reasons for ABS on a bike, IMO: 

Prevent lock up in unpredictable low traction surface
    Occasional brain fart

Agree  waytogo

I would add, but not count as 'good', that in the EU they are required on new bikes and that it seems new riders are scared to buy a bike without.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
GK

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 03:24:17 AM »

Having had cars with and without ABS, I can categorically say I’m glad modern vehicles are equipped with ABS.

I consider myself a good driver, but have been spared by ABS a few times, usually in wet and greasy conditions when I’ve had a brain fart, or when the driver in front of me has!

My Monster doesn’t have ABS, but my next bike (way down the track) most likely will do so.

Progress.

Some are more keen to embrace it, some don’t care, some want it old style thanks very much.

Each to their own.

If I were buying now, if I had the coin, I’d go for an ABS TC equipped Monster.

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »

I'm sort of indifferent about it... I have it because it came on it.  I did have it kick on once when I did a full-on stop (to avoid a car turning left in front of me) and the rear ABS kicked in... which was nice but not necessary.  I think that's where ABS really shines, not when you are having a spirited ride through the twisties, where your brain is engaged and there is less outside interference to draw your attention... it's an OH POOP! moment in city traffic (where your attention is split 10 different ways) and you have to grab a handful of lever, or where there is some road hazard (oil in rain, etc) that reveals itself suddenly.

Bottom line is... ABS/TC, etc is an aid, not a 'do it for you.'

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: