Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 05, 2024, 07:56:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 01 monster 750 not getting enough air.  (Read 3750 times)
Jimmyv0119

« on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »

Hey everyone so I have a 2001 monster 750 I recently just bought and I have been having trouble with it, replaced starting relay and battery and thought that was the end of my problems but now my bike is not getting enough air.  When just sitting, it would turn on if I give it some gas but if I ride it around the bike will die out and I took out the air filter and the bike ran perfectly fine, rode it around without a air filter and had no problems if the bike is on and I try to put a air filter on it (brand new) it will die out not sure what the problem is if any one has any ideas on what it could be I am open to all suggestions.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »

It may mean too much fuel. Do you know if the carbs have been rejetted or overhauled?  How many miles in the bike?

2015 Scrambler 800
Jimmyv0119

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »

The bike only has about 6500 miles on it and as for the carbs I do not know I just got the bike about two months ago.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »

OEM Paper or oiled K&N filter?

2015 Scrambler 800
Jimmyv0119

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 09:14:13 PM »

What came in the bike was k&n filter then I bought a new oem paper filter and neither worked. Get the same result with both. I currently have mesh paper wrapped in the medal band and that is my riged air filter and it works fine I can ride around without any problems of course I don’t want this to be permanent.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »

Assuming the bike was running fine before something had to change.  Was it?  As koko said, sign of rich.  When you remove the air filter are you putting the lid back on?  Does the bike idle when warm?  How well?  At what point of throttle opening does it stall?
Jimmyv0119

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »

Yes the bike was running fine about a month ago I changed oil and starter relay went bad and replaced that and got a new battery only things I have changed. And bike didn’t come with lid just medal band that’s goes around oil filter to hold it down. So no to lid. And yes bike idles when warm perfectly fine and doesn’t stall with throttle but at any point if I try putting air filter in place the bike bogs down and dies.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »

The bike dies at idle with the filter in place?  First thing I would check is the air jets.  They are visible in the air horn.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:36 AM »

Could it be that the bike had individual air filters?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Jimmyv0119

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »

I have ordered the carb rebuild kit and will be taking it out and cleaning everything hopefully that would work and as for the air jets they seem fine but again I’m just taking the carb out and cleaning everything out. And I bought a stock ducati air filter and that was just one for both so I’m assuming it is mean to be that way.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »

Paper panel filter or K&N DU0900.

You may have worn needle jets so ordering sone Factory Pro needle jets is a worthwhile upgrade if you have the stock brass ones in there.

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 10:33:42 PM »

I am a fan of Dynojet needles (stage II for open air box) and Factory Pro needle jets.  The brass needle jets oval over time.  When you rebuild make sure all the internal passages are clean.  I like Piper Cross filters.
Jimmyv0119

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »

What difference do you see using the Dynojet needles? And same question for the filter? I am fairly new to motorcycles so I am curious and of course I want my bike running well at all times. I haven’t don’t anything to the bike and it is mostly all stock 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »

IMO, Dynojet needle has a better profile for transition from idle to mid range.  My experience is K&N filters pass a lot of dirt compared to the Pipercross filter (foam).  Stock paper filter (when clean actually flows quite good), just not a good idea with an open air box.  Paper and rain don't go to well together.  I can't find it on the inerwebs any more, but a reputable source found the OEM paper filter flowed as well as a K&N  on the ST2 with factory air box.

Do wait for koko64's opinion, then make a decision.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:18:16 PM by howie » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »

Hmmm. So the bike was fine and just started running rough? When it runs badly, any fuel dribbling out of the overflow hoses which connect to the base of the carburettors? Have you changed from regular to premium fuel lately?

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: