Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 04:41:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE - LEGENDARY ALUMINUM TANK REVIEW/EXPERIENCE  (Read 23738 times)
uglyducky
something, words, clever . . .

one way to do this is we can all get naked . . .

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »

When I got mine made, they asked for an FI tank to take a mold from, which at the time I thought would be unnecessary since I'd read how you had already done that and assumed they'd have a mold.  Which fasteners were pushing through the paint?  I never painted my tank, so no paint to ruin, but I'm planning to one of these days.  They say ethanol isn't an issue for their tanks, and I believe them, since I left a tankful of it sit for a year with no problems.

Uglyduck, what's the weight on that aluminum tank?  

dunno yet, was hoping to get a fender, seat pan and tank from them but he wrote me back saying they are way behind on projects. I asked if I could just order a tank and he hasn't responded yet.  I heard somewhere that the aluminum is prone to corrosion. Can they be caswelled like the poly's? would it mitigate that issue if so?

2008 S4RS - Tricolore #324 (about to get bastardized)
2007 S4RS - pearl/red with some tweaks (sold)
2005 S4R - Bastarda Nera (sold)
2001 M900Sie modded to high holy hell (sold)
2001 996 Biposto - (sold)
dirtypunkysocalreggae . . . MANDORiCO
hillbillypolack

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:27 AM »

I'd like to know more about the current options as well.  Like many of you, I purchased the S2R with the intent of keeping and modding it, only to discover the poor material spec on the tanks.  I had hoped the supplier MotoWheels had contacted would be able to deliver, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

My current tank is slightly elongated (so the latch clearance is difficult).  Do either aluminum tank suppliers require sending in a tank to ensure dimensional accuracy?  I see Beater has options for the S4R, the S2R has a different fuel pump.  Could the oval be used on an S2R, or would I need to provide my tank as a reference for the lower panel?
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

Update on my Legendary motorcycles tank. I un-boxed it this weekend and was dry-fitting all the parts. I found the cutout for the fill cap was too small by @1.5 mm. I emailed Dave, and he is having me send the tank back to him. He explained he had a set of three fill cap cutouts that came back small from the c&c, and he didn't catch mine before it went out. I'm sad my tank will be gone for a while, but I am very happy Dave offered to make it right, no questions asked. I also asked Dave about sending him my seat cowl and he indicated he is behind/busy and can't take on too much new work right now. Having examined the tank, I am very happy with my purchase, I'll make a real review thread when I get the tank back and start remounting it.

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
hillbillypolack

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:38 PM »

Thanks for the info. I did get an email from Dave since I asked a few questions through their website. The tank sounds like it's wel made and at least up to aerospace quality. I don't know if you recall but a year or so ago there was interest in tanks made by a company (?) in India. Not high quality control from what I heard. I was one of the first guys who spurred Martin (Moto) to cintactvhus supplier in Italy. Unfortunately that never materialized so I'm once again looking for a more kermsbent solution for the flexy tank S2R.

So, speaking of flexy. My tank is probably elongated, and it doesn't sound like Dave needs a reference tank for dimensions. Once you get your tank back, let me know how it's fitting with your seat and clearance to the front latch / ignition area. Do you have the original seat or do you have any of the parts that were offered in the settlement?

Thanks for any info. It sounds like a high quality option for the DS Monsters.

Chet
uglyducky

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 05:31:21 AM »

Went ahead and ordered my tank from legendary. I’ll keep you all posted. Anyone suggest a great painter in SoCal?

uglyducky

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »

welp, that was fast!! tank showed up today. They must have had a return or one sitting on the shelf.  Either way, definitely more "robust" in it's build than I expected (which is a good thing). My complaint would be the finish details are a little sloppy. Overall it's pretty nice but some areas are not very consistent such as the gas cap opening. There are some spots of wavering depths and diameter. All in all it's a nice piece of custom work and she's on her way to speeddog to fit up on the new RS. More to follow post fitment and paint!

chipripper

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »

Grin That looks a little rougher than my S2R tank came out. Could definitely use some time on the sanding block. Can't wait to see it painted and fitted.

What are you doing for paint??

Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 04:38:03 PM »

waytogo

Good to have an option for the future. My old girl has the early 18 L tank and I doubt I will find another.

2015 Scrambler 800
uglyducky

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 06:52:14 PM »

Grin That looks a little rougher than my S2R tank came out. Could definitely use some time on the sanding block. Can't wait to see it painted and fitted.

What are you doing for paint??

dunno yet. prob some cool earth toned retro colors. gonna have a buddy draw some stuff up

chipripper

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »

Are you going to paint it yourself, or have it done?

You said you sent it to speeddog, so I'm assuming you're local to socal. I need to find a good painter for mine.  I have my final presentation for my masters program this weekend, then I can unbox my tank and start putting my bike back together.  chug

booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »

Looks good. I Caswelled the tank on my bike since it was a warranty replacement but I love these aluminum tanks. I'm assuming the prevailing reason for buying one is the stock nylon tank is swelly. Tell me though, forgive if this has already been discussed but what's the weight savings with these aluminum fuel cells?

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
chipripper

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »

My s2r legendary tank is just under 12lb. Don't know what the stock weighs but it's a lot heavier on my arm scales. I'll weight them side by side once I get mine painted.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »

IIRC a plastic S2R tank, with guts installed, was ~23 ish pounds.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

uglyducky

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 07:50:03 AM »

Are you going to paint it yourself, or have it done?

You said you sent it to speeddog, so I'm assuming you're local to socal. I need to find a good painter for mine.  I have my final presentation for my masters program this weekend, then I can unbox my tank and start putting my bike back together.  chug

going to have a local painter do it. was referred by a friend. i'll let you know how it comes out as i've never used him but he clearly seems to be very talented.

uglyducky

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »

so follow up to my tank:
showed up with a small dent, fuel pump didn't fit AT ALL and seat hinge is wrong size and doesn't fit hardware. legendary initially asked me to mark areas and send measurements where fitment was an issue, i laughed and said "no thanks". they explained that they've made "hundreds" of tanks for s4rs ducs but requested the tank came back with my fuel pump and i said "no thanks". I'm not sure what the deal was but if you've made hundreds of tanks from a template i don't get why you'd need someone's measurements and parts. nevertheless, the tank was returned to legendary about a month ago and another has arrived this past weekend. it's en route to speeddog to check fitment. this one is ever rougher in finish but we shall see. all in all my experience has not been great with them but if it rids me of my plastic ducati nightmare i suppose it was worth it. for what they charge, these should not be issues customers need to deal with. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: