Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 07:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE - LEGENDARY ALUMINUM TANK REVIEW/EXPERIENCE  (Read 23760 times)
uglyducky
something, words, clever . . .

one way to do this is we can all get naked . . .

« on: November 06, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »

looking at picking up one of these tanks for my new tricolore project . . . which would you grab and why?

(eti can and will build the correct tank for FI monsters including the RS with the 1098 fuel pump flange
http://eti-fuelcel.com/DucatiMonster.html

OR

http://www.legendary-motorcycles.com/Alloytanksseats.html

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:21:37 PM by uglyducky » Logged

2008 S4RS - Tricolore #324 (about to get bastardized)
2007 S4RS - pearl/red with some tweaks (sold)
2005 S4R - Bastarda Nera (sold)
2001 M900Sie modded to high holy hell (sold)
2001 996 Biposto - (sold)
dirtypunkysocalreggae . . . MANDORiCO
Wzed

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:25:54 PM »

That aluminum tank looks like a really well-crafted piece and I appreciate all the work that seems to go into it, but I have an ETI kevlar tank (FI) and wouldn't trade it for anything else.  For me, it's a matter of weight; the ETI tank is very light (8+ pounds lighter than stock), and removing that much weight so high up on the bike really improves handling.  When I got mine, I had to send him a stock tank so he could pull a mold from it. 

What are you referring to when you wrote, "including the RS with the 1098 fuel pump flange?"  The S4RS?  I didn't know it had a different flange, but I guess it makes sense that it would.
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 03:50:01 AM »

Good question. And it is great that both options have become available.

It would be interesting to know the capacity of the aluminium tank. FuelCel quotes capacity of the kevlar tank at 19 litres - an excellent feature if fuel range is important.

On fuel pumps, I think all the Testastretta S4R/s bikes need the oval flange, as shown for the aluminium tank.

Would the aluminium have better longevity? 

uglyducky

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »

That aluminum tank looks like a really well-crafted piece and I appreciate all the work that seems to go into it, but I have an ETI kevlar tank (FI) and wouldn't trade it for anything else.  For me, it's a matter of weight; the ETI tank is very light (8+ pounds lighter than stock), and removing that much weight so high up on the bike really improves handling.  When I got mine, I had to send him a stock tank so he could pull a mold from it. 

What are you referring to when you wrote, "including the RS with the 1098 fuel pump flange?"  The S4RS?  I didn't know it had a different flange, but I guess it makes sense that it would.
correct, the S4RS uses the larger, oval 1098 flange/fuel pump

uglyducky

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »

Good question. And it is great that both options have become available.

It would be interesting to know the capacity of the aluminium tank. FuelCel quotes capacity of the kevlar tank at 19 litres - an excellent feature if fuel range is important.

On fuel pumps, I think all the Testastretta S4R/s bikes need the oval flange, as shown for the aluminium tank.

Would the aluminium have better longevity? 

all the reports I've read from ETI users seemed to be very positive even after many years

Heath

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »

Any price on the ETI tank yet?  I really need more capacity. My tank is coated but I swear the capacity is getting lower.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »

ETI lost me as a customer, after two tanks ended up pushing fasteners up and causing a section of bumps in a beautiful paint job that Nate did ‘twice. I went to a DP carbon fiber tank. The make the beast with two backs up set me back two years on my build.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
itsamonster

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »

I've got the S4Rs 'beater' ally tank and it's a work of art.
I like the idea of the eti tank being less prone to dings and also really wanted extra capacity.
chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 04:09:10 PM »

I've the Legendary tank in a box in my garage waiting to be assembled to the bike. I have a 1 month break from school so I hope to have it all test fitted by XMAS. I'll let you all know if I find any caveats...

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
uglyducky

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »

I've got the S4Rs 'beater' ally tank and it's a work of art.
I like the idea of the eti tank being less prone to dings and also really wanted extra capacity.
is that the japanese one?

uglyducky

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »

I've the Legendary tank in a box in my garage waiting to be assembled to the bike. I have a 1 month break from school so I hope to have it all test fitted by XMAS. I'll let you all know if I find any caveats...

very curious to hear about it

itsamonster

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 02:58:06 AM »

I've put it up before. This is the 'beater' tank. (Japenese ,yes)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:25:23 PM by itsamonster » Logged
Heath

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »

ETI lost me as a customer, after two tanks ended up pushing fasteners up and causing a section of bumps in a beautiful paint job that Nate did ‘twice. I went to a DP carbon fiber tank. The make the beast with two backs up set me back two years on my build.
Can you elaborate? Did it swell because of ethanol?

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »

Can you elaborate? Did it swell because of ethanol?

No ethanol, I use only pure gas. I donated my steel efi tank to make the mold. It had to do something with the plate that held the fuel opening. Happened a few months after I got it, was returned, fixed, repainted (damn that was an awesome paint job) and it happened again. I’m pretty sure he’s straightened that issue out. I had given up back then. I really like their products, but I had a bad go. Happens.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Wzed

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »

No ethanol, I use only pure gas. I donated my steel efi tank to make the mold. It had to do something with the plate that held the fuel opening. Happened a few months after I got it, was returned, fixed, repainted (damn that was an awesome paint job) and it happened again. I’m pretty sure he’s straightened that issue out. I had given up back then. I really like their products, but I had a bad go. Happens.

When I got mine made, they asked for an FI tank to take a mold from, which at the time I thought would be unnecessary since I'd read how you had already done that and assumed they'd have a mold.  Which fasteners were pushing through the paint?  I never painted my tank, so no paint to ruin, but I'm planning to one of these days.  They say ethanol isn't an issue for their tanks, and I believe them, since I left a tankful of it sit for a year with no problems.

Uglyduck, what's the weight on that aluminum tank?  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: