Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:18:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Battery Replacement - '14 Monster 796  (Read 4273 times)
loopsak

2014 Monster 796

« on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

2014 Monster 796
Stock battery now.  Looking to replace it...winter project.
Riding season typically only lasts Memorial thru Labor Day here.
Bike Stored in garage during winter.
I use the CTEK 0.8Amp Battery Maintainer.
Direct replacement suggestions would be appreciated.
Lithium or not???

Thank you,

C. Ricks
Anch, AK.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »

I’m using Antigravity in both bikes, and like them.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:12:34 PM »

I like Shorai batteries if we're talking Lithium, but a good Yuasa AGM battery is hard to beat, easy to charge and very very reliable. I have also used Motobatt AGM batteries and had good results.

Good batteries can fail due to something wrong upstream in the charging system so occasionally good components can get a bad name. Low quality batteries in that scenario just fail earlier.

If you're going Lithium, dont skimp and be sure get one of the premium brands mentioned and a Lithium specific charger.
Just my opinion.

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:45:55 AM »

If you go AGM or Lithium, make sure your charger is compatible.  I destroyed 5 AGM batteries in my XR650 by using a Battery Tender trickle charger (older model, pre-AGM) until I found someone who knew the score.  Just because it's a 'trickle charger' doesn't necessarily mean it's compatible...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »

+1. I have grown to distrust trickle chargers with the exception of Lithium specific maintenance chargers for those batteries only.
For bikes not in use with regular or AGM batteries, I use a regular charger for a deep charge once a month.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:48:04 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Wzed

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »

I’m using Antigravity in both bikes, and like them.

This - I've had another brand, and it gave me headaches.  Since switching to Antigrav, no problems.  You'll also need a lithium-specific charger (I highly recommend Optimate). 

Switching to a lithium battery is probably the most cost-effective way to shed a lot of weight.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »

not sure if lithium tech has changed, but i used to ride in sub freezing temps (10F) and lithium wouldn't cut it. it doesnt work well in the cold. It needs to be woken up, and if you ride short distances constantly, you'll be left with a dead battery from trying to wake up the battery all the time. Lead is better in that regard.

Lead batteries as an industry is for all intents and purposes 100% recyclable, and it's going to be a bit cheaper, but given lithium these days, it might not be all that much cheaper in dollars. Do not buy cheap batteries from ebay. They aren't exactly the same and end up causing more headache than not. You can stick with a Yuasa if you are going to buy one, or its rebranded version called moto someshit i forgot. Its about $80 bucks. I compared a cheap ebay one to a Yuasa here:

http://kuixihe.com/batteries

My lead batteries typically work for anywhere up to 3 years starting all year round 10-20 times a day.

sigh...that was a life time ago. I dont even know what 2 wheels are anymore. Sad
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:56:19 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
NAKID

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:37:51 AM »

Another vote for Shorai. They recently went to a lifetime warranty. You can't beat that. Especially considering they are about the same price as a Yuasa.

As far as cold starting, they do like to be "woken up". This is usually accomplished by "bumping" the starter button a couple times before a full start attempt.

Also, the Shorai does well in storage, even if not kept on a charger.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
booger

all your cookie are belong to me

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »

Cheap eBay battery here. WPS 310 CCA Lithium Ion Polymer, not Lithium Iron Phosphate, to my understanding. Whatever. Using an Optimate lithium-specific charger even though it's supposed to be compatible with a standard charger. Has a battery condition meter built-in. Doesn't like the cold as mentioned. Needs the 'surface charge' bled off before it starts the bike with enthusiasm. Also have the Motolectric cable upgrade and a Rick's MOSFET rectifier. I like the lightweight aspect but meh on the starting power. Waiting for my garage to burn down. I will likely replace it with a Shorai or more well known brand even though it works fine. To be fair it was $132 which is cheaper but not too cheap. I don't think it really puts out the 310 CCAs as claimed. Expected the bike to fire off like right now but it doesn't seem to be any better than the stocker. Although, if I turn the key on and then take a couple minutes to put my gear on before hitting the starter button the headlight bleeds the 'surface charge' off whatever that means and the bike touches off a lot quicker. YMMV but I would stick with a good known brand if you're doing lithium.

Everybody got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

2001 M900Sie - sold
2006 S2R1000 - sold
2008 HM1100S - sold
2004 998 FE - $old
2007 S4RT
2007 Vespa LX50 aka "Slowey"
2008 BMW R1200 GSA
Wzed

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »

Waiting for my garage to burn down.

laughingdp

That would be my concern with an Ebay battery for sure.
Langanobob

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 05:41:01 AM »

<SNIP>...
sigh...that was a life time ago. I dont even know what 2 wheels are anymore. Sad

What's going on?  Working too much?  Hope you don't have yourself cooped up in one of those cubicles all day.  I had a job that lasted 6 months where I was in a cubicle.  It was really dehumanizing.  Life is too short for that kind of crap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: