Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 10:44:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS 1000 engine history  (Read 7302 times)
RB

« on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:42 AM »

So I have been absent a bit from the forum, life and other distractions, but still enjoy my motorbike. The '06 flat orange S2R is approaching 35k miles quickly and my mods and plans for the bike are slipping into phase 2. I have plans to build my own exhaust since I don't really like anything on the market, plus I need a project to practice tigging. With that said, i am considering buying a used DS1000 engine, rebuilding & modifying it so I can swap out the 803cc wet-clutch mill currently occupying the frame. I want the dry-clutch jangle and the umph from more CCs. I plan to port-polish, lighten flywheel(not extreme) and possibly bore(I'm just starting to research some mods).
The S2R 800 is a great engine, and has served its purpose as a reliable lump, but I feel she may be down on power a bit. This weekend I did the timing belts, oil change and spark plugs. while the plugs were out I scoped the cylinder(sorry pics are dull and on my other computer ATM). The walls looked good as I can still see the crosshatching and not a lot of carbon build up on the piston, however I noticed a faint line in the horizontal (front) cylinder that looks like the beginning of compression loss. I did not do a compression test yet, but plan to when I get back from my trip next week.
Anyhow, long winded, can someone point me to the history of the DS1000 engine so I can search for certain models and years based on the wet-clutch? I'd take a larger cc engine as long as it is air cooled, but I am not sure if Ducati made an air-cooled lump that I can cram into my bike larger than 1000.

thanks

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »

You can put an 1100 Evo in it, but the computer and harness will not be compatible.
RB

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »

Howie,
Thanks for the reply. I did a little more research and it seems the 1100 is the largest air-cooled Ducati made, but finding a dry clutch may be a bit difficult. Again, I am just starting the search. I also read a while ago that with some tweaking and new coils the 1000DS can be easily swapped into the S2R wiring and frame/swingarm. I may just buy a totalled bike so I have the swing arm also and wiring. Honestly, I may just go standalone ECU for this swap to keep things to a minimum and tunability (I plan to use twin widebands to test and tune).

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »

AFAIK, swingarm is the same across all S*R, other than color.

Microtec has an ECU and 'autotune' WBO2 box (or at least did, last time I looked).

HM1100 engines have the dry clutch, but the swingarm has the bearings, so not bolt-up compatible with your frame.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
RB

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »

Thanks man. I think the s'r swing arms are all the same , the issue will be when I have to use a newer m1100 motor.

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »

The 1100 engine fits in an SxR chassis - swingarm included. Check HeMan's thread about the swap. Basically a timing gear from an 848 (and some other bikes), minor exhaust mods and a Power Commander or similar.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=59229.0

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
RB

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »

Good to know and thanks for the links.

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »

or just dump in a DS1000 with a big bore upgrade. that would give you about the same as an 1100, plus the dry clutch, plus easier everything else.

waytogo

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
RB

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »

while the M1100 has some lighter components, the DS1000 is easier to come by and slightly cheaper. I need to research the big bore kit.
Edit....
Scratch that, $3k for a big bore kit? I'm not racing, i'm not sponsered.... But i did find the 1100DS, seems to tick all the boxes.
More to comb

thanks guys
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:53:30 AM by RB » Logged

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »

pretty sure I have seen the option discussed around here for significantly less than $3k....

regardless, have fun with the project!

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »

If this continues as a thread to discuss big bore, or other mods it will get moved to either ACC&Mods, or Tech.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »

AMS has an NCR kit that's north of $3k.
But that's a 102mm bore with dedicated cylinders, needs NCR rods, and cases bored out.
Makes it 1168cc.

They've got 98mm Pistals:
https://amsducati.com/pistal-racing-ducati-1198-s-high-compression-pistons

~$500 or so to get your cylinders bored and replated.

Not sure what the situation would be on head gaskets, they should know.

DucShop has a kit as well:
http://shop.ducshop.com/eshopprod_cat_7585-90520_product_1215544.DS1100_HC_PISTONS.htm

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
RB

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »

If this continues as a thread to discuss big bore, or other mods it will get moved to either ACC&Mods, or Tech.
Yep, understood, just 'discussing'  at the moment, gathering information.

Thanks guys for the responses, I'm off to Deals Gap tomorrow (actually I'm going so I can ride the Cherohala Skyway again...more fun) for a few days to flog the 800.

RB

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »

Alright, I'm gonna resurrect this thread for some questions....
As I have been looking around the web, the DS1100 in Monster form is very hard to find. Hypers and Multis are everywhere, but not the monster form. I need the monster engine because the engine cases are wider due to the way the swing arm mounts. With that said, does anyone know if the engine case will swap from a DS1000/1100 to an 800? I wonder how different the 1000 is from the 800, I have no experience having the engines open to compare. If the lower engine cases (inside cases that hold the crank and such) than i could cannibalize the 800 engine to fit a 1100 crank and top end into the S2R i have. Just trying to figure out my options.

thanks
for the help
RB

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »

Would buying my motor, dyno tuned ECU, air intake and exhaust be something you are interested in?  Tongue

I hardly ride the thing anymore. I went from 1 Street bike to now 3 dirtbikes and a street bike and im about to add another dirt bike!!!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: