Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:17:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ecoboost thread  (Read 41190 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: September 25, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »

How has that engine been for you?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 F150 Lariat with either the 2.7 or 3.5 EB engine.

Was curious as to the DMFs opinion.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:49:32 AM by Monsterlover » Logged

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »

No experience with the F-150, but our Escape has the 1.6L Ecoboost.

Great mileage, problem free...so far in almost 40K miles, and more powerful than I would ever imagine a 1.6 could be hauling around a small SUV.

That said, with our camper, I'm looking for a V-8.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:07:40 AM »

3.5 beats the 5.0 for torque though!

420ft/lbs
475(I think) on the new 3.5's!!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:12:44 AM »

3.5 beats the 5.0 for torque though!

420ft/lbs
475(I think) on the new 3.5's!!
...they should turbo the 5.0! Evil

I'm looking at a '15 GMC with a 5.3.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:18:26 AM »

Hell yeah they should turbo the 5.0!

15 gmc is a nice truck. I had the 5.3 in mine (sold it). Hell of motor.

What's that camper weigh?

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:54:21 AM »

DucPainter... I would rethink the 5.3 motor, particularly if you are hauling something with it.  I have a '17 2500HD with the 6.0 and it's barely enough.  I carry around about 1000# of pool cleaning crap in my truck all the time, and I'm not shy with the accelerator... it requires a lot more pedal than my previous truck, an '09 SuperDoody with the V-10 (6.7L)  The motor constantly revs about 1000RPM higher than the V-10 for the same performance... so I'm in the 3K RPM range, a LOT.  Gas mileage is about the same:  10MPG.

Not that you should believe everything you read on the internet, but there is this:

https://gearheads.org/15-used-pickup-trucks-you-should-avoid-at-all-cost/3/

As far as the EB motor, my '13 F-150 had the V-8... I'll take that everyday over the EB, and twice on Sunday.  The 302/5.0L motor is fantastic, I wouldn't really want the complexity and smaller displacement of the V-6 and turbo.  There were some early teething problems with the F-150's EB motor, but I suppose they have fixed them by now.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 06:12:58 AM »

I feel like that website should be taken with a grain of salt but I do agree with majority of what they have on there.

The first truck they put on there I owned a 2004 Silverado and had zero issues within eight years of ownership.

I'm aware of the earlier EcoBoost Motors and the issues that they had. Most of them have been ironed out. The 2017 and newer ecoboost's are completely redesigned.

I spent a fair amount of time talking with a lead tech at a Ford dealership about the EcoBoost and the issues that the internet says they have. I'm not too worried.

I'm mainly interested in the 2.7 V6, or I would take the 3.5 that's okay too. They get very good gas mileage and still make a lot of power. The 2.7 makes the same torque as the 5 liter and some guys are getting in the mid-twenties for fuel mileage.

Any of Fords engine offerings in the 2015 F150 make way more power than I had in my 5.3 Silverado.

Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »

I feel like that website should be taken with a grain of salt but I do agree with majority of what they have on there.

The first truck they put on there I owned a 2004 Silverado and had zero issues within eight years of ownership.

I'm aware of the earlier EcoBoost Motors and the issues that they had. Most of them have been ironed out. The 2017 and newer ecoboost's are completely redesigned.

I spent a fair amount of time talking with a lead tech at a Ford dealership about the EcoBoost and the issues that the internet says they have. I'm not too worried.

I'm mainly interested in the 2.7 V6, or I would take the 3.5 that's okay too. They get very good gas mileage and still make a lot of power. The 2.7 makes the same torque as the 5 liter and some guys are getting in the mid-twenties for fuel mileage.

Any of Fords engine offerings in the 2015 F150 make way more power than I had in my 5.3 Silverado.

I'll give Ford credit where credit is due... they make good motors and they learn pretty fast from their mistakes.  I wasn't aware they reupped the EB design, in fact, I wasn't aware they had a 2.7L motor in the first place.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »

I've heard a bunch of good things about the EB, but haven't had any direct experience with them.

I would get one.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »

Hell yeah they should turbo the 5.0!

15 gmc is a nice truck. I had the 5.3 in mine (sold it). Hell of motor.

What's that camper weigh?
DucPainter... I would rethink the 5.3 motor, particularly if you are hauling something with it.  I have a '17 2500HD with the 6.0 and it's barely enough.  I carry around about 1000# of pool cleaning crap in my truck all the time, and I'm not shy with the accelerator... it requires a lot more pedal than my previous truck, an '09 SuperDoody with the V-10 (6.7L)  The motor constantly revs about 1000RPM higher than the V-10 for the same performance... so I'm in the 3K RPM range, a LOT.  Gas mileage is about the same:  10MPG.

Not that you should believe everything you read on the internet, but there is this:

https://gearheads.org/15-used-pickup-trucks-you-should-avoid-at-all-cost/3/
The particular truck I'm looking at is a '15 that's been driven by a friend for his business vehicle. The paint is flawless, and he uses it to haul a multi bike enclosed trailer regularly during the summer. I use a truck mostly to haul a bike, and our camper which has a gross weight of about 7K, which ours never gets close to as we never haul it with any water in the tanks, and we don't get very thorough as far as stocking our camper. We also only use the camper a few times a year

I'm using a '98 2500 now, and it's 5.7 is barely adequate for the terrain that NH consists of when hauling the camper.The trans shifting to second gear is not uncommon. It has had many of the 'problems' listed in the article you linked to, but peeling paint, rusty lines, or anything rusty, or using some oil after almost 20 years and 164K aren't a 'problem' in my mind. It's a fact of life here.

Both vehicles have the tow package. It's just time to update and I don't think I'll be able to match the price on this truck.

It isn't going to happen overnight anyway. Thanks for your input.

perspective

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »

The particular truck I'm looking at is a '15 that's been driven by a friend for his business vehicle. The paint is flawless, and he uses it to haul a multi bike enclosed trailer regularly during the summer. I use a truck mostly to haul a bike, and our camper which has a gross weight of about 7K, which ours never gets close to as we never haul it with any water in the tanks, and we don't get very thorough as far as stocking our camper. We also only use the camper a few times a year

I'm using a '98 2500 now, and it's 5.7 is barely adequate for the terrain that NH consists of when hauling the camper.The trans shifting to second gear is not uncommon. It has had many of the 'problems' listed in the article you linked to, but peeling paint, rusty lines, or anything rusty, or using some oil after almost 20 years and 164K aren't a 'problem' in my mind. It's a fact of life here.

Both vehicles have the tow package. It's just time to update and I don't think I'll be able to match the price on this truck.

It isn't going to happen overnight anyway. Thanks for your input.

You also have to factor in how often you're going to be towing the camper, which I'm sure you have. If you towed it every other week all year probably that's not the right truck. If you use it a few times a year you can make do.

I used to tow an open car trailer and race car which weighed together about 7,000 pounds with a v6 Astro van. It worked fine but I only towed maybe 5 times a year.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »

You also have to factor in how often you're going to be towing the camper, which I'm sure you have. If you towed it every other week all year probably that's not the right truck. If you use it a few times a year you can make do.

I used to tow an open car trailer and race car which weighed together about 7,000 pounds with a v6 Astro van. It worked fine but I only towed maybe 5 times a year.

If I was towing every, or every other, week I'd be looking for a diesel. As it is I tow about 3 times a year and the trip has never been more than 100 miles. I 'may' haul the camper to Grattan if T and Z decide to go. That would be a 2K mile round trip. If we start taking annual trips I'd likely get a newer lighter weight camper.

I think a 325/327 will do the job.

perspective

The Architect

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »

...they should turbo the 5.0! Evil

I just said that the other day!!!

I have a good friend that owns a concrete mixing company.  They run a lot of trucks all through NH, VT and MA, mostly f-150s.  They have tried a dozen eco boosts over a few years.  They have had issues with all of them.  They decided to stick with the 5.0 v8.  He claims they run forever. 

But if you were to get the eco boost, he said the 2.7 seems to hold up better. 

zach (Slag)

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »

i had a 2015 3.5 Eco-Boost for 18 months. I put 60k miles on it, and had an ungodly amount of idle hours. And I mean ungodly  Evil I never had an issue. I traded it in on a 2017 F-250  diesel just due to the aforementioned ungodly idle hours  laughingdp I doubt that the little gas motor liked idling half the day in the Texas summer. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another for a personal truck, but will likely stick with 3/4 ton for my work truck.

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 04:16:09 PM »

Tundra

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: