Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 05, 2024, 11:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power commander pros?  (Read 2333 times)
Monstermatt

« on: September 02, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »

I just purchased a 2003 monster 800 dark. I absolutely love it. It's got an open air box, dual fbf pipes and a k&n filter. It's fitted with an older power commander 3, not the usb version. Has three buttons on the front. Problem is, is it pops and coughs up through the intake between 2500 and 3500 rpm. My local dealership says they do t have the equipment to mess with the commander. I've tried a bunch of times to access the commander by holding down the buttons, turning on  the ignition and releasing. Either I'm not doing it rightn or there's a trick to it. Any bright ideas?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:18:05 PM by Monstermatt » Logged
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »

I have had the best results from putting the bike in a dyno and having the PC tuned with the gas analyser and looking for best power and response. If economy is important then that can be factored into sections of the map. Thats assuming your PCIII is functioning properly.
Some have had good luck with canned maps with ECU reflashes, but I have found that most canned maps be they flashed or otherwise usually require a tweak on the dyno. It is worth the money imo.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »

I take it you mean Power Commander pros (as opposed to cons)? I'm a big fan of them due to their tunability for each stage of modification, but they do add extra to the loom and additional device/s which some would rather avoid with a reflash. I also like that there are many dealers of the product and many compatible dynos around with tuners that understand them. The industry support is immense.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 08:36:11 PM »

Have you tried getting some advice from your local Powercommander dealer?
Also look up the instruction pdf for your model on the Powercommander site or send them an email. Sometimes there are software or firmware updates and bulletins regarding issues with various models of devices. There are occasional programme glitches that surface with some production runs that are addressed, so keep that in mind.
I had a PCV that required a firmware update to stop a midrange stumble that could easily have been mistaken for a tuning issue. I also once had a supplied map in a PCV that had a typo which had a fuel percentage value of 212% at 6500rpm and not 12%! It wasn't Dynojet's fault just a typo made by a dyno tuner who supplied pre mapped devices.

If I misread the title of your thread then just so you know I'm not a dealer or specially trained in tuning Powercommander products but just a small business guy that likes and uses them for my own and customer bikes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:14:58 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
convict

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »

are you sure its not a usb. its not a regular usb . its wee . tiny. hardly would notice it unless you had it in your hand. been a while since i looked at mine but maybe smaller than the mini usb on your phone.
IMHO without a pcIII those mods would make you bike run way too lean. thats a tonne of air moving through and you need a fuel management system
maps are easy to find at their website
but do consider this..... you, me and all of us running these things are basically setting the bike up for race prep. this is not for farting around the block and so you really only get the benefit of pipes, airbox etc is when you are riding hard. say like... you are racing.

and you will need a 9volt battery to power the unit when it is off the bike.
https://fortnine.ca/en/dynojet-accessories-for-power-commander-iii-usb-

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:05:57 PM by convict » Logged
convict

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »

good picture here
http://www.1st-to-the-finish-line.com/products/Descriptions/PCIII-USB.html

and how the heck do we post photos on this site
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »

With the open airbox you do need that PCIII tuned. As convict said it will make your bike run lean more so than the pipes. The actual map in the device could be correct for other mods but not uours or the fuel available in your area. The PCVIII USB version as it's name states has a usb port and allows a more modern interface with available software. You can try maps from the Powercommander library as a baseline or just cut to the chase and get the bike dyno tuned. My bro has a PCIII in his monster and tried a few maps before finding one close enough to play with. It was a pretty good map compared to the others but was too rich and a dyno tune did the finishing touches. You can pm him ("GK").
A service to set baseline parameters for throttle body synch, valve clearances, idle trim, etc depending on the model is important.
Good parts and good performance modifications can give bad results without the tuning that supports them. Tuning is everything.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:11:13 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »

In the facts and policies section there is a guide to posting pics. You need flickr or a similar host site. Takes a bit of practice.

2015 Scrambler 800
Monstermatt

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. All good information. The part number says it's for an 02-03 998. I guess that was a common thing before it was available for the monster. My dealership said to get an air box and try that.  I'm new to Ducati ownership. What year monsters will cross as far as parts go?  I even emailed customer support and they said he might could dig up some old software somewhere but doubted it. I'll just save up and buy a new one over the winter. I only work about a mile from work but end up taking "the long way" home. You all can probably relate.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »

Yeah the long way home is good therapy after work waytogo.

You can even tape over most of the airbox opening to just leave 2x2" opening if you cant get an oem airbox. It might run rich if the PCIII has a map with extra fuel, but your plugs will tell a story.

2015 Scrambler 800
convict

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:20:15 PM »

mine was out of a s4r. i cleaned off the old map and put in mine, it was good

nothing fancy about the air box just a big piece of plastic
feel free close it up however you want
koko 64 was spot on with tape or hell even chunk of cardboard. just pop it right in.

oh one thing about getting folks to do a map for you. lots of stories out there of 'professionals' fugging bikes up. if you arent already a member of a local doc think about joining one. gives you a chance to hear other similar bikes and what they might should or want to sound like.
ever hear a open clutch 1098 streetfighter?? youd swear it sounded like a cement mixer.

our club in novascotia got an invite from a new bike shop for coffee and snacks tomorrow so we can check them out. going to be atleast a dozen bikes. gonna be cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: