Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 07:36:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big round number on my instruments  (Read 3116 times)
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

Thanks  Smiley

ENGINE:
had no measureable wear anywhere, except .1 mm at the output shaft, when it was built and tuned at 50,000 km. Riding wise I hadn't been kind to it AT ALL and I'm sure that with normal use it would have run smoothly through 100K, at least.
After the build, increased power and torque by ~30%, the problems started. Three sets of pistons, 5 or 6 cams, two pairs of heads, two sets of cases, only a few misc bearings and surprisingly the original crank shaft, gear box and Carrillos
The air cooled clearances ("loose and rattley") are the main source of problems and are MULTIPLIED when the engine is used for fun. It helps to let the engine be nice & warm before any load is put on it and of course short service intervals + frequent oil changes also helps.

OIL / CLUTCH:
first two APTC lasted 25K each with synthetic 10/40. The next APTC lasted 40K on semi 15/50 Motorex. The fourth clutch, a 750 non-slipper, also 40K. The engine builder insists on Motorex semi 15/50 for his tuned air cooled engines - maybe 20/50 other brands. He says the Swiss manufacturer (non EU country) can get cleaner oil to start with...  I change mine at 5-6,000 km

TIRES/CHAINS:
Too many tires to count. I need new chains at a steady 12/13,000 km. Quite frequent and probably/maybe a result of a lightened and trigger happy engine and/or spirited use when touring and track riding...

Many, many, many other parts upgraded through the years. In fact, the only parts totally untouched are the ignition and seat key switches.

It has been and still is super fun to ride, but I really can't recommend race tuning a small air cooled engine. Moderate tuning on a big engine, yes, but not what I've done.

In my country the average Ducati mileage is 2,500 km. They would need 60 years on one bike to gain the experience I have, so of course the cost and frequent service/repairs seems overwhelming crammed into so few years.

Dolph

no! no! thank you!;

an amazing amount of tried and tested mileage on an Duc s2r! Info will help us out! and Ducati too  Grin

cheers D

.... all the world is yours.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: