Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 01:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Were M Series Monsters Designed for Smaller Individuals  (Read 2788 times)
ljsmonster

« on: June 05, 2017, 05:34:23 AM »

Were M series Monsters designed for smaller individuals?  I have a 2005 620 Monster and have been told by two of my friends that it looks too small for me.  I am 6 feet tall and weigh 195 lbs.  I never thought about it, but I had someone take a picture of me on my 620 and I see what they mean.   The Ducati looks on the low side and I tower over it.  I did some checking and most of the M series is based mostly on the same size frame so I suspect that a 750 or a 1000 would be the same.  Any comments on this would be appreciated!
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:01:05 AM »

Easier/better fit for an average Italian, but ok for six feet.

Frames are equal, so another Monster would be the same, except for the ride height.

Raising it front and rear will improve how the you+bike combo looks. So would clip on bars, but I'm not sure it's worth it...

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 06:02:30 AM »

1000 has a taller seat height.  There were also some lower versions of the 620.  You may have one.  The difference between the low versions and the standard are seat and ride height.  This link might help you to figure what you have  if you don't have an owner's manual.  Same frame on all.  Big question, IMO, is are you comfortable?  If so, ignore their comments.  If not, you can get a taller seat and the suspension can be raised (you would need to buy an adjustable rear link).  Legs cramped?  Different rearsets will fix that.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »

Ducatis are small bikes overall.

What bikes are they comparing to?

All of the monsters of the same year have the same frame, but may have different suspension.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »

MS4 with its ST like bars has a more stretched out, roomy riding postion. Its forward bars and seat height give a different feel. Im 5'8" and didnt like it but you might as I thought a big guy might be able to stretch out on it. Feels a very substantial bike compared to the close riding position of the air cooled  M900, 750, 620, 600, etc. It has a 916 based motor and is very smooth and fast.

2015 Scrambler 800
sahasralah

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »

Big guy on a little bike  Grin

I'm 6'4" and look pretty folded up on my M900. Still a blast to ride, just not for super long distances. I have the Honda VFR for that.

I have the rear height cranked up all the way, but also currently have the DP gel seat, which is lower. May switch back to stock there.

<< My avatar pic is of me on it at the gap several years ago.

jR | 02 M900ie | 35K mi | 15/46 | strati cans | d.i.d. x chain | cyclecat clutch bits | crg bar ends
other modes of transport: 02 VFR800 | 55K  // 07 350Z
roggie

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »

My co worker used to say I looked like a circus bear on my 696. I'm 6-1. Now I've got an S4RS and feel like it fits me a little better...

GregP

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:03 AM »

I had a red 620 at one point and all black riding gear. I thought I looked bad ass. One day while on a break during a ride my buddy told me I looked like a gorilla fvcking a fire hydrant. LOL

Kinda blew my self image a bit but who cares as long as you're comfortable on the bike and have a big smile on your face while riding.

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »

I had a red 620 at one point and all black riding gear. I thought I looked bad ass. One day while on a break during a ride my buddy told me I looked like a gorilla fvcking a fire hydrant. LOL

i hope you replied "don't knock it until you try it"

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »

fire hydrants gotta come from somewhere...

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »

Fire hydrants are such dirty girls.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 05:08:33 AM »

My original street bike was a Yamaha XS400 twin... at 6'2" I looked like an elephant on a peanut riding it.

I don't really care what I look like on my 796... even though my CBR1000 had far more real estate, I've gladly traded it for less weight and better handling.

Interesting to note, as stopintime mentioned, Europeans are typically smaller in stature.  When I traveled in Italy a few years ago, I had a hard time finding clothes to fit me, and I towered over just about everyone.  The clearance rack was filled with XL and XXL shirts, vs in America where the clearance rack has SM.  laughingdp

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
GregP

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 05:15:36 AM »

i hope you replied "don't knock it until you try it"

Please don't tell my wife!  Dolph

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
ljsmonster

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 02:44:10 PM »

It sounds like that it isn't just me.  Six footers and larger make these Monsters look small.    No big deal.  I love how my Monster feels light and easy to control.  So what if it looks like I am riding a minibike, I am enjoying riding it.  That's what counts!  Thank you for all those responded to my post.  You guys are great!   waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: