Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 05:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: that Old Tangerine Dream (problem bike these days... :( )  (Read 47290 times)
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »

Safety Lock Wire

Typically, they look like this when they are sold

https://www.amazon.com/Malin-MS20995C-Stainless-Safety-Lockwire/dp/B005VR49D6

Often, they are used with twisting pliers ...

... but you don't need to buy that tool (at least, for now).

Just get the wire, cut and roll into convenient size, keep it under seat storage.

When you, as a motorcyclist, get stranded on the road, the reasons are usually ...

1) You run out of gas

2) The parts getting loose and have fallen off (or dangling)

3) Flat tire

4) Battery is dead

About the gas, there's no easy solution for us Monster riders.

Back then when I was riding 2-storke that run on pre-mix, I HAD to carry extra gas (pre-mixed).
But, carrying extra fuel bottle on Monster every single time you go out for a ride is ... pretty unrealistic.

You just have to train yourself, to get a gas as soon as you see low fuel warning light.

2)The parts getting loose and falling off or dangling ...

Assorted zip-ties take care of many of this type of problem.

However, when something that's generates a lot of heat (such as exhaust), you need wires.

It has happened when I was in a group ride (which I no longer do).
If someone's bike breaks down, you have to fix it, otherwise, everyone gets stuck there.

Of course, you need a pair of pliers, but I will talk about it later.

4)Flat tire

I carry "Stop and Go tire plug kit".

They don't sell the version I have anymore.

This one is the closest. And it will come with CO2 cartridges.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/stop-go-tubeless-tire-plugger-with-co2

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »

Oh...  I don't think I have a low fuel warning.  I just know that once I get around 90 miles, I'll fill her up.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2020, 09:25:05 PM »

When I have gone on long trips with the stock tank, I strapped a couple of 1l bottles to the trellis up front using something like these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/wolfman-wolf-bottle-holster-wp?gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76tN9nR0lkBNc9kpL-5j3Iigd2f4Y6WK8naRsloPz8NoQzt6H-43GthoCnu8QAvD_BwE

But around town I never bothered. Gas stations just weren't that far away. The shortest distance to fuel light on for me on an S2R800 was 94 miles on the trip meter. Just the edge of Gallup, NM to just past St. Johns, AZ. It didn't take the hour and a half that Google claims. Normal highway riding it got about 120 miles until the fuel light, then I pulled over and got gas. Now the tank is bigger.

But S21 is right, there's not much reserve on a Monster.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »

When I have gone on long trips with the stock tank, I strapped a couple of 1l bottles to the trellis up front using something like these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/wolfman-wolf-bottle-holster-wp?gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76tN9nR0lkBNc9kpL-5j3Iigd2f4Y6WK8naRsloPz8NoQzt6H-43GthoCnu8QAvD_BwE

But around town I never bothered. Gas stations just weren't that far away. The shortest distance to fuel light on for me on an S2R800 was 94 miles on the trip meter. Just the edge of Gallup, NM to just past St. Johns, AZ. It didn't take the hour and a half that Google claims. Normal highway riding it got about 120 miles until the fuel light, then I pulled over and got gas. Now the tank is bigger.

But S21 is right, there's not much reserve on a Monster.

That bottle is cute.

I think I've  run out of gas only once  since I've had her.  I'm really good about watching mileage and when she just "feels" light, I know her so well now.

Years ago, I wanted to take a road trip on her but now I don't want to take a road trip on her because I rode her 400 miles in one day a few times and that was miserable at the end.  Love the bike around the city and for quick trips but 400 miles straight on the interstate is not comfortable.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2021, 05:46:48 AM »

Just saying hello.

This is probably the last year I will ride this bike.  I think it's time to finally invest in a new ride.  I just bought a car for work (had to) so buying a motorcycle this year is probably out of the picture.  So I will try to keep her going for one more year.

It's been a hell of a ride and I learned so much from everyone on here and I am so thankful for your patience and help with me.  You have no idea how many times your guidance got me out of a bind and I will forever grateful for this board.

Thank you.

-Tek-

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #305 on: March 14, 2021, 11:58:49 AM »

Congratulation with a car  waytogo

Now maintaining the bike might become more relaxed versus stressful when it was your only transport.... ? What about a Scrambler or a new Monster?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: