Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:48:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: that Old Tangerine Dream (problem bike these days... :( )  (Read 46867 times)
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2020, 02:20:51 PM »

So I let the bike sit and cool down.  It was at 200F... I've had it FAR HIGHER before.

It cut out one more time on my way home...

Lurch, stutter, lurch... speedo all over the place- said I was going 160  I assure you I was going 20.

Check engine light, cut.

I can't ride her anymore.  I just don't trust her anymore.  I'm heartbroken.  I no longer have a car.  Can't afford one.  I loved this bike more than you know but she's just failing on me.

The turn signal is still out too.  I'm legit heartbroken.  I have an emotional attachment to her.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »

I know  Cry

Digest for a few days.

We'll talk options then.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2020, 05:34:43 AM »

I am trying to do some research (I can't go without any transportation. I can't afford food delivery all the time).  I am reading about bad fuel sensors and timing belt. I know the timing belt as mentioned in this thread before.

For context, this problem started to happen on the expressway but wasn't so bad.  I could feel the bike lurching but not cutting out- seem to only happen above 40 MPH.

Yesterday I was riding in the city so well under 40MPH.  But it was hot yesterday. It started to act up again but far worse than on the expressway.  I don't have one of those bike lifts in my garage... just a stand that centers it.  I think I have the tools to take off some covers if I need to.  I fixed that fuel pump, surely I can fix whatever this is?

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »

Within reach to have a dealer hook it up and diagnose it?

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #289 on: August 09, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »

Within reach to have a dealer hook it up and diagnose it?

Or an independent with proper diagnostic equipment.   Your bike's computer stores faults, which helps a lot with diagnostics, particularly when the problem is intermittent.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »

I am trying to do some research (I can't go without any transportation. I can't afford food delivery all the time).  I am reading about bad fuel sensors and timing belt. I know the timing belt as mentioned in this thread before.

<SNIP>   I fixed that fuel pump, surely I can fix whatever this is?

Okay, let's go through this one by one, so that you won't waste your time and money.

The last time this bike was serviced at dealership (or Ducati specialized shop) was 5 years ago. Correct?
Can you tell us what work was done, at what mileage ?

You don't have trustworthy shop / individual near you.

About the "timing belt" people are telling you

Timing belts have nothing to do with the problem you are currently having.

People tell you to replace them, because if they snap (while engine is running), the valve(s) will hit the piston head(s).
Which means, bye bye to the top end of your motor.
If this happens, there's no way you can fix it by yourself.

That's why the manual says to replace them
every 2 years, or
every 20,000 Km (that's about 12,400 miles)
whichever comes first.

About fuel sensors

Again, this is not the reason of your problem.
Read about them later. That won't fix your problem.

About "Speedo needle bouncing around"

Most probably this is NOT directly connected with poor running / engine cutting off problem.

There could be two reasons for this.

One, is mechanical problem.
Inside of your meter cluster, the base (where pointer needle is mounted and swings) is broken.
To check if you have this problem, you need to remove the meter cluster from the bike and shake it.
If you hear something rattling inside, that means you have something broken / came apart inside.

The other possibility is corroded connector(s), damaged wires.

Is rev counter (tachometer) is working normally?

The first thing you want to do is to find out why it's cutting off in the middle of the ride.

Take a video of instrument panel check-up cycle and post it.
(read page 522 of workshop manual. Turn the key from off to on, let the pointers to swing to full scale, then come back to zero. EOBD light should turn on, then turn off.)

Start from there.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #291 on: August 09, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »

... So, both speedo and tach needles swing to full scale and come back to zero.
And the bike starts, EOBD light comes on momentarily and goes off.

When was the last time air filter was replaced?
Also, when was the last time spark plugs were changed?

If the answers are "I don't know", then, I suggest change these items first.

Plugs are cheap, about $2 each.
(Champion 905 (AKA RA4HC))

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/copper-plus-3176/ignition---tune-up-16776/spark-plug-12874/b14eb31b13d7/champion-copper-plus-spark-plug/905/2623819

You can (most probably) find them at local auto parts store, like Advanced Auto, O'Reilly, etc.

If you have to buy online, buy them from Summit,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cpn-905?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2LfQjO-P6wIV0RZ9Ch2NOghWEAYYAyABEgJS8PD_BwE

with spark plug socket (if you don't have already)...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mnp-08-0239
(This one, you can turn the socket with 19mm wrench or socket, or 3/8"drive ratchet handle.
The extension bar can be turned with screwdriver, 14mm wrench or socket, or 1/4" ratchet.)

Spark plug gap tool
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wtc-9531?rrec=true

... and dielectric grease (you'll need them when you work on the connectors.)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lct-37534

Take a look at page 307 of workshop manual.

Air filter

https://www.amazon.com/Ducati-Filter-Monster-1000-42610111A/dp/B00CQN8AMO

When you remove the spark plugs, take photos of the tips before throwing them away, and post them.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 10:21:48 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2020, 01:06:44 AM »

After that (replacing spark plugs and air filter), check speed sensor on the rear brake caliper holder plate.

Look at the workshop manual page 211, and 214

It's held in place by small M6 screw.
If this screw is getting loose and the sensor is wiggling around while you are riding, it can send some random crazy number to ECU and instrument panel.

Then, remove the right hand side cover.
Look at manual p488 Diagram M.
"36" in blue color, that's the connector from speed sensor to main harness.
Check the condition of the connector, clean with parts cleaner, apply dielectric grease, connect again.
(The reason for this is because if there's corrosion in the connector(s), it may cause intermittent problem, meaning the signal from speed sensor pick up can drop, get back, drip again ... while you are riding.)

The reason you want to remove spark plugs and check the condition is,
that these bike came from the factory with really "lean" air / fuel mixture setting. (In order to pass emission test)
So, they shouldn't be covered with black carbon deposit.
If they do, you know your A/F ratio got somehow screwed up.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2020, 03:18:27 AM »

Love it.

I was thinking also the mixture might be wierd as the bike has been smelling very "gassy" (not like farts! Grin) but like it's not burning all the gasoline off.

I'll buy the spark plugs because that was ALSO on my mind.  But I can't remember what they did last time the bike went it.  Last time it went in was because someone hit my bike and dragged it a bit.

I'll try to get to these things this week or weekend.  Thank you.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »

So I got her working again.  And it was "none of the above" it seems.  Something was going on with my battery connection coming lose and I fear some sort of arching going on under the tank because some of that wool stuff is melted now under the tank.  But she is running and stopping her garbage... besides the right front turn signal is just not working, no matter if I change the bulb or the fuse.  But I'll take it.

So question... I'll put it here but I'm thinking about actually starting a new post that ISN'T about this bike:

The toolkit to my bike is long gone.  What would you suggest should be in an S2R toolkit and how could it be mounted to be unobtrusive?

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2020, 12:05:41 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=57895.0;topicseen

Or maybe you don't need one. Ok - maybe a screw driver (Phillips) and a couple Unbrakos. Do you still have the under seat 'stick' to hold the tank up? That's useful.

Front turn signal: broken wire or loose connectors behind the head light. My guess.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2020, 01:00:14 PM »

Stick is gone.  Was lost during one of the times it went in for service.

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »

The emergency tool kit thread is kind of useless right now, because all the pictures are gone.
(I'll try to find the old photo in my timemachine,  but I can't do it right now.)

The original tool kit that came with the bike was pretty much useless.
So, you are not missing that much.

Original tool kit

Spark plug wrench and screwdriver ...

They show up on eBay pretty frequently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Monster-S4RS-S4R-07-08-Tool-Repair-Kit-Bag-Tools/292224751472?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818142651%26meid%3D4ca188afb9d449a68e5fbf7f5f250cb8%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D302905109226%26itm%3D292224751472%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

There's a small storage space underside of you seat.
You can keep small tool kit and tire plug kit in there.

To me personally, the whole purpose of under shat tool kit is to let me get back home (or, to get to the nearest "safe" place) in case of mild emergency.
If something catastrophic happens, small tool kit won't help.

If you ask me,
the first thing you should buy (and put in there) is
tire plug kit.

Because, there's always the possibilities of getting flat tire.
No matter how well maintained your bike is.
(And, don't say "I never had flat tire." As soon as you say it, it's going to happen in a most inconvenient time and place, and you'll get stranded. Yeah, Murphy's law exists.)

Next, two CO2 canister (20g) and inflator.

Just search "Genuine Inovations CO2 inflator"

If I were in your situation, I would just get this one

$20, comes with everything needed.

https://www.backcountry.com/innovations-air-chuck-elite-inflator?CMP_SKU=INN000B&MER=0406&skid=INN000B-BK-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=77D95926-16A6-E311-9C6B-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&iv_=__iv_p_1_g_49514702840_c_224495893170_w_pla-381242858838_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r__x_pla_y_7811_f_online_o_INN000B-BK-ONESIZ_z_US_i_en_j_381242858838_s__e__h_9032106_ii__vi__&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=_k_EAIaIQobChMIu_i3q_nI6wIVtBx9Ch34mAX8EAYYASABEgKYs_D_BwE_k_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_i3q_nI6wIVtBx9Ch34mAX8EAYYASABEgKYs_D_BwE

Some might say these two small canister is not enough to fully inflate the motorcycle tires.

You used those "emergency" inflator so that you can limp your bike to nearest gas station (they have air compressor).

Small tire pressure gauge

Assorted extra fuse

Assorted zip-ties

A little bit of safety wire

A little bit of duct tape (wrap around on old credit card, no need to carry a roll)

These thing go in there, before you start buying tools to put in there.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »

What is safety wire?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: