Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 03:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: that Old Tangerine Dream (problem bike these days... :( )  (Read 47381 times)
greenohawk69

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 04:19:17 AM »

Why not get your battery load tested at Auto Zone - determine if it is good or not first and simple to do first.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 07:05:53 AM »

Probably/maybe possible to unhinge the tank first, lift the front slightly, put the hinge pin back in and then raise it.

I think you should talk to the tech first - then we'll discuss options. Your current thoughts are dark/frustrated and it's not a good time to make important decisions.

Initial input to try to persuade you to take one step back until Tuesday:
Selling it 'as is' will deal ALL the good cards to the buyer. Think about the advice we would give to a potential buyer... unknown electrical issues, tank issues and the other little known things... maybe need a service, new tires, fluids, belts.

Spend the weekend finding a good alternative shop. That might make you more confident when you talk to the tech - if you have an alternative lined up.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
skurvy

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »

MsTek,

What you're describing is what I went through a couple years ago. I don't think it's your battery. For a tech that's not familiar with this Monster problem, the flaky battery might be a logical guess. On my S2R it would start and run intermittently. I also thought it was low on fuel or bad fuel. When I twisted the throttle it totally stalled. Then after 10-15 minutes of pushing it of the road and letting it sit, it would start right up again but I couldn't trust it to go anywhere.

When I described the symptoms to my tech he said as soon as it stalls, turn the bike off and take the key out. Then put the key in and just turn the key ON without hitting the starter. You should hear the fuel pump priming with the "whirring" sound. If no priming then the fuel pump is not getting power. For whatever reason letting the bike sit for a while, maybe moving from point A to point B (getting it towed), allows for a temporary good connection again to the fuel pump allowing it to start up again. But then you try to ride and after your first turn, it stalls out again. Anyway I did his test and as soon as it stalled, key out, key on = fuel pump not priming. Then I came here to search for answers.

Yes you can buy a new fuel pump assembly which is what Ducati dealerships want you to do for $1100+. Or you can take apart the fuel pump assembly and fix the bad 4 wire connection to the fuel pump. The connection is covered in epoxy and over time the ethanol in US fuel degrades the epoxy and causes the failed connection (?). Some have used JB Weld to repair the connection, I opted to buy a new one and just replace the bad part onto the fuel pump assembly.

This the thread that helped me out: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69062.msg1275815#msg1275815

And here is the fix for my S2R: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=71783.msg1324795#msg1324795

Talking to a couple shops near me, they did NOT want to try this fix because it's not a normal fix. They would rather just replace the bad part with a new part and this wire harness "only comes with the new fuel pump assembly". I was able to find he harness P/N# 51020032A, and had to do a slight mod adding the extra ground wire but everything is solid again.

I was in your shoes debating if I should keep the bike. I hope this is all that's wrong with yours and I hope you have the means to get it back on the road.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »

MsTek,

What you're describing is what I went through a couple years ago. I don't think it's your battery. For a tech that's not familiar with this Monster problem, the flaky battery might be a logical guess. On my S2R it would start and run intermittently. I also thought it was low on fuel or bad fuel. When I twisted the throttle it totally stalled. Then after 10-15 minutes of pushing it of the road and letting it sit, it would start right up again but I couldn't trust it to go anywhere.

When I described the symptoms to my tech he said as soon as it stalls, turn the bike off and take the key out. Then put the key in and just turn the key ON without hitting the starter. You should hear the fuel pump priming with the "whirring" sound. If no priming then the fuel pump is not getting power. For whatever reason letting the bike sit for a while, maybe moving from point A to point B (getting it towed), allows for a temporary good connection again to the fuel pump allowing it to start up again. But then you try to ride and after your first turn, it stalls out again. Anyway I did his test and as soon as it stalled, key out, key on = fuel pump not priming. Then I came here to search for answers.

Yes you can buy a new fuel pump assembly which is what Ducati dealerships want you to do for $1100+. Or you can take apart the fuel pump assembly and fix the bad 4 wire connection to the fuel pump. The connection is covered in epoxy and over time the ethanol in US fuel degrades the epoxy and causes the failed connection (?). Some have used JB Weld to repair the connection, I opted to buy a new one and just replace the bad part onto the fuel pump assembly.

This the thread that helped me out: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69062.msg1275815#msg1275815

And here is the fix for my S2R: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=71783.msg1324795#msg1324795

Talking to a couple shops near me, they did NOT want to try this fix because it's not a normal fix. They would rather just replace the bad part with a new part and this wire harness "only comes with the new fuel pump assembly". I was able to find he harness P/N# 51020032A, and had to do a slight mod adding the extra ground wire but everything is solid again.

I was in your shoes debating if I should keep the bike. I hope this is all that's wrong with yours and I hope you have the means to get it back on the road.

THANK YOU.  I think may be what is going on as well.  I wish I could fix it myself- but I don't have the means nor knowledge to do it- I mean I can work on a computer but half of that is some weird talent and the other half is Google-fu.  I don't have all the tools or a lift or even that great of a garage space so I have to depend on shops- which see me and I think they think '$$$$$$$$$$" (if only they knew the truth, lol!)

I haven't' heard from the shop today...  I will call them in the morning but yeah.. I'm between a rock and hard place as I am teaching someone how to ride and they're getting close to getting on the street and I kinda need a bike to ride with them as they practice.  Right now, I am pretty sure I'm going to be out $300 for nothing.... but if they don't have a spare battery to check the bike, I'm pulling the bike and having it towed back home beause that's just bad business in my opinion.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »

Have you tried the DRILL group?  http://www.drill-online.com/

Maybe someone can help, or suggest a shop that is willing to actually diagnose and fix something rather than throw parts at it. Have it towed there, and you'll solve all sorts of issues.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

drval85

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »

You can swap the flange yourself.   Super easy.   Get a used one from eBay, and you can do it in 15 min. 
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »

They want almost $2K to fix it.

$1800.

The bike isn't worth that
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:43:39 PM by MsTek » Logged

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »

Did you talk to them to verify that they didn't have a spare 'diagnosing' battery or the willingness to charge/load test yours?

"Wiggled wiring at pump...." doesn't confirm anything is wrong with the pump. It could be the connector, broken wires or the less expensive fuel flange part as described earlier.

Did you get any response when (if?) contacting who Ducpainter suggested?

It's $ 1,800 for chasing a problem they don't know how to diagnose or fix.....  coffee

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »

I used to be a part of DRILL, I'm not anymore as their vision and mine didn't align.  That's the most polite way I can think of putting it.

They said that they knew for sure it was the fuel pump.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I don't have $1800 and I don't think its worth putting $1800 in a bike that has seen its fair share of issues in its lifetime.  I love her to bits but my life isn't what it used to be in the cash department. I also know if I don't fix it, I probably have quit riding at this point as I just don't see me ever having the money to spend on a motorcycle again.

Getting old and the way the world has changed sucks.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »

If wiggling the wires makes the fuel pump run the pump ain't the problem.   
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 02:14:02 AM »

Your bike can be fixed for far less than the price quoted.

You just need to find a shop willing to do it.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »

Your bike can be fixed for far less than the price quoted.

You just need to find a shop willing to do it.

Do the alternative fix?

Yeah... Sad  I live somewhere with few bike shops and every time I tow that bike, it's $150...

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »

I sent the fix thread to the shop and asked them if they would try that. (Honestly, I don't have tools, I'm scared because the tank is swollen and doesn't fit properly so how am I gonna get it on and off and I have no one to help me... some people just have to do things by themselves).

If they won't then I might try to do it myself... but then the new tank that has been sitting in my garage has to go off to get caswelled first because I'll put the new tank on ($350 there for the caswell work).

If I somehow can do it myself, maybe I'll try to swap out other stuff. but I don't have a motorcycle lift.  This is scary.  I know I am mentally capable of doing this... but I would feel less worried if I had help.  But if I accomplished it- I'd be an even worse "alpha" chick.... HAHAHAHAHAH! Smiley

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 10:20:42 AM »

I probably wouldn't bother that shop much more...

May I suggest taking on the challenges one by one? You don't have to decide the whole saga now - lighten the load by finishing the first chapter before thinking much about the next.

For example......
1. find a good shop or an 'expert' to guide you (yes, you can)
2. charge or replace battery (charge is 'free'. New battery maybe as little as $ 50-60) 
3. find and fix the broken wire/connector (with a raised tank, it should be 'easy')
WOHOOO running bike and lots of options
4. plan to remove, drain, clean the tank and have it shrink back towards 'normal' over the winter (lets you 'forget' about caswell bla bla for now)
5. consider tank replacement and coating IF yours don't shrink enough (new year, new situation)
6. next fix
7. next fix
a.s.o.

chipripper
El Borracho mas grandisimo

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 10:40:17 AM »

I second stopintime's recommendation. I hit a point in my life where I can't ride right now (Work, school, life, etc.). Instead of selling my bike I am fixing all the things, one at a time. Once you fix some easy stuff your confidence will go up. Years ago, I was on DMF reading how to adjust my chain, lift my tank etc. Now I do my own valve adjustments, and am starting to really customize some stuff for myself. Like anything else in life, you need to have $$, or you have to acquire a new skill. My bike has been in pieces for a year, so now wrenching, researching, planning, and budgeting are my hobby. As soon as I finish my masters program,  I will reassemble and be riding again.

2008 S2R1000 black and white, mostly stock ;-)
Marving header, Velocity stacks, Pod filters, Flashed ECU to DP map, Polished valve covers and cam covers, SSR reverse shifter and inspection cover, Aelle adjustable pegs, Windscreen and cowl removal, Many plastic bits removed, Cut beer tray
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: