Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: that Old Tangerine Dream (problem bike these days... :( )  (Read 46869 times)
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« on: June 01, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

She is still in the shop- waiting to see if it is an $1100 fuel pump fix or a $100 battery fix (there is a Li-ion battery in there and the shop said that is no good for a 2006 Monster S2R).

In the meantime, the left rear turn signal was hanging off os I bought some new ones from Monsterparts.  I think they are LED... but I wa reading something about having do something with some resistor somewhere or the turn signals won't work...  Should I replace the front ones too with LED... (if I decide to keep working on the bike.... the $1100 fuel pump is making me want to puke.  I PRAY that I get lucky and that isn't the problem.)

I wish I COULD update the electronics on the bike. I still love that bike- everyone who sees it does- but shes starting to look worse for wear and run like shit (hence- in the shop).

Any ideas about the turn signals?

Thanks!

"Do something each day that scares you..."
greenohawk69

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:05:28 AM »

Sure you can update the turn signals to LED. I needed resistors for the front to a previously added a Vizi-Tec integrated tailight and they work fine.

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »

If it's a problem with the fuel pump, it should NOT be an 1,100 dollar problem. The fuel pump itself costs way less and if it's where the wires pass through the flange, there is a plug & play part from Ducati or CA-Cycleworks.

Have a picture or a link to the turn signals you bought? If it's a regular bulb it doesn't need resistors.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »

If it's a problem with the fuel pump, it should NOT be an 1,100 dollar problem. The fuel pump itself costs way less and if it's where the wires pass through the flange, there is a plug & play part from Ducati or CA-Cycleworks.

Have a picture or a link to the turn signals you bought? If it's a regular bulb it doesn't need resistors.

I got these:

http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/ES181/Elec-Signals/ES181.html

Maybe I should have gotten them for the front too.. I don't have any idea how to install them. Not asking shop to do it since they'll cost me a lot of $$$$

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »

Sell them and get these instead http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/266017/Elec-Signals/266017.html   No need for resistors.

Remove tail light, unbolt license plate plastic and beer tray. Then you'll have access to the wire connectors which are easy to see how works. The turn signals themselves are fastened by a simple nut, just like those on the new turn signal. Very basic - just takes a little time.

About the fuel pump: did we discuss this previously or is it a new problem? Often, a shop will suggest replacing the whole expensive assembly even if only a minor part replacement is required....

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »

Without the resistors the LEDs will blink super fast, but if you still have conventional bulbs up front, not as bad.  Often electronic flashers like these  http://www.ebay.com/bhp/electronic-led-flasher-relay will cure the problem, but no guarantee.  Monsterparts sells the proper resistors  http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/EE033H/Elec-Signals/EE033H.html

I would be concerned if the shop couldn't tell me if the problem was battery or fuel pump.  If the bike cranks there is enough battery to operate the fuel pump.  When the pump doesn't work the more common problem is the wire issue stopintime referred to.  A good tech should be able to diagnose this properly.  If you do need a fuel pump, well, here you go  http://ca-cycleworks.com/fp-duc  OK, I should take the good tech comment back, since Ducati only sells the whole piece and many shops do not like to do those kind of repairs.  A search on this board will show what others have done to repair the wire issue.

A Li-ion battery will work in your bike, but there is no established way to test them in the field yet.

drval85

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »

Don't buy a new fuel pump flange for 1100$. You can find used fuel pump flanges on eBay for 400$ or less on a regular basis. If you're adventurous apparently you just need to drill out the epoxy and redo the wiring that runs through the flange.
drval85

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232348711922
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »

Sell them and get these instead http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/266017/Elec-Signals/266017.html   No need for resistors.

Remove tail light, unbolt license plate plastic and beer tray. Then you'll have access to the wire connectors which are easy to see how works. The turn signals themselves are fastened by a simple nut, just like those on the new turn signal. Very basic - just takes a little time.

About the fuel pump: did we discuss this previously or is it a new problem? Often, a shop will suggest replacing the whole expensive assembly even if only a minor part replacement is required....

new problem.

I had an issue back in Feb on a nice day.  I twisted the throttle and there was no gas going to the engine.  It would turn over but not fire.  So I stalled right in traffice (right before the expresseway- thank god I wasn't on it yet!)  Anyway,put gas in it in case it ran out and I didn't know it- but that wasn't the issue.  Had to have it towed back to my home.  Bike sat a few more months.  For giggles last month, I put the key and and the bike started up and was able to go around the block.  Okay... but don't trust it. I have been teaching another chick how to ride and am getting soon to the point where I need to ride along.  I tried the bike again, went halfway around the block- it stalled.

Had the bike towed.

The shop said the bike wouldn't turn over.  Then it did but the fuel pump wasn't priming... they said the voltage from the battery wasn't steady so maybe that's the issue.  But I haven't heard anything back at all.

I don't have the ability to do much work on my own bike. I don't have the tools, and I don't have a good garage setup.  So when she's really sick, she needs to go to the shop like now.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »

So the shop just called me with a bunch of mumbo-jumbo that I don't understand and kinda makes no sense (wouldn't they need to remove the tank to get to the wiring for the fuel pump???). I am worried they're trying to tell me crap because I'm a woman but I'm not a motorcycle tech.  I asked if they had a spare battery to test the fuel pump instead of me buying a battery just so they can keep testing.  Their response: no we don't have spare batteries- you need to buy one if you want us to diagnose the problem more?

WTF? 

I feel REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE.  But I said I want to talk to the tech myself on Tuesday.

I have a feeling they're trying to pull one on me.  If sshit is under the tank, how are you wiggling the wire to the fuel pump, if you haven't removed the tank?  Why are you telling me that the battery might be bad?  Battery was fine when I took it in.  And it suddenly died during diagnostic?  I'm calling bullshit on that one too.

I thnk I might be getting screwed but I'm not sure.

drval85

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »

If you google "Ducati monster fuel pump" you'll see lots of people with a similar issue. The tech can check by wiggling the wires running into the fuel pump, or by checking the voltage to make sure it reaches the pump.

The tank is hinged, so they could access the pump without "removing" the tank from the bike.

Have a friend nearby with a bike? See if you can borrow a battery.  But yes, the fact they won't lend you a battery to trouble shoot is concerning to me. Seems unreasonable to not allow you to borrow a battery for 2 minutes to check, especially when they are probably charging you a fee anyway. 
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »

I wouldn't assume that the shop is screwing you, but I think it's strange that they don't have another battery to use. Or at least charge yours....

Talking to the tech might clear things. If he confirms they don't have a spare battery, then I would try to find another shop.

The off and on + sudden stalling suggests a bad connection.

The tank can be tilted up to access connectors and wires. Everything still connected and ready for diagnostics.
- Bad/loose fuse?
- Left side of the battery box has two relays - wiggled or switched around will confirm if that's the problem (fuel pump relay).
- with a battery (yours or any other) directly connected to the fuel pump connector to see if it's working. If it works, the problem is not the fuel pump (,but could be the well known wires-through-the-flange issue)
- bad/faulty wires going to and from the connector three inches from the flange. (I recently had that)

These are just some ideas you could talk to the tech about.

But also:
If they couldn't get the bike to turn over, but they could later... Worth checking if the immobilier antenna (under the plastic cover around your ignition key) is loose and/or poorly connected.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »

I agree that they are probably not trying to screw you, but, yeah, I would think about another shop.  Can't find a spare battery or do proper electrical diagnosis is a problem.

About half my adult life was spent working on cars.  My experience is many mechanics lack basic electronic knowledge, even more so with bikes.  I can't say women don't sometimes get ripped off but no more than men.  Probably less, men often do it to themselves. 
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 04:16:03 AM »

The tank is jimmy'd on because of the expansion.  So they want to charge me to drain the gas and remove the tank.

The battery thing is what bugs me the most.  If you are a shop, you should have a spare battery just to do your work and to do proper testing.

BTW, bike has been there since mid-may.

I think I will have to pay them for what they have done, tow it back and post the bike for sale.  We don't have decent shops where I live and I don't have the skillset. I know a bit more about cars so when I go to the mechanic/dealer, they never double-talk so I catch them.  I have learned to trust my gut- that phone call made no sense and the battery is the thing really setting me off- I need to buy a battery for you to be sure if its the battery or the fuel pump?  You can't put in a battery to finish?

Yeah.... I work on computers. I have spare parts to test things before I tell people to buy things.

MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 04:18:41 AM »

Oh yeah and the fuel pump thing is what I had seen on other boards for $1100.  Some shops won't even let you bring in uses stuff to install it.  I LOVE that bike but I just think we finally are at the point in my life I give up riding. I can't afford a new bike and I won't put good money after bad on this one. And I'm not giving a shop $2K for something that ended up being a $300 fix.  Not that I would ever KNOW that.

The whole way that shop has dealt with me since the bike has come in has felt sketchy.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:20:25 AM by MsTek » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: