Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 05:13:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiking Apps  (Read 2045 times)
Bick
Post Whore

« on: May 25, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »

What is going to be the best Hiking App this year?

Got an offer for AllTrails Pro for $15/year.

Anyone like this one?

A better one?

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »

I take it you didn't like the BackCountry Navigator app we talked about last summer?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »

I take it you didn't like the BackCountry Navigator app we talked about last summer?

It was ok.  I think it had me resting for long periods of time, but still covering a lot of ground.

Was it that one that was eating up my battery?

I think the free version was limited, and maps were taking up all my memory.  I will also look at the paid version.

There is always something else that somebody else thinks is better.

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »

I had the paid version of BC Navigator on a series of cheap Android phones and like it pretty well, though I wasn't asking a whole lot out of it.

Because the paid version didn't transfer to my latest phone (and I haven't yet bothered to try to figure out why), I'm also trying out the free version of Topo USA, which has a lot of the same functionality and might be worth a look.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »

It was ok.  I think it had me resting for long periods of time, but still covering a lot of ground.

Was it that one that was eating up my battery?

I think the free version was limited, and maps were taking up all my memory.  I will also look at the paid version.

There is always something else that somebody else thinks is better.
I have the same issue with it in regards to moving time, but I think it's more related to time spent under the foliage canopy.

I think on the paid version you can load maps to the sd card.

A better mousetrap must be had. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Auslander

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »

I've been using Alltrails for a couple of years. I like it well enough. I haven't really tried anything else. I travel a lot and it's been decent for finding trails wherever I've ended up.

S2R1000, 1098S
I didn't do it.
MendoDave
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

What is going to be the best Hiking App this year?

Got an offer for AllTrails Pro for $15/year.

Anyone like this one?

A better one?

I've been using "Trails" Or I had been using "Trails"
I haven't really been on a hike in a number of months because, winter.

But its a good app. Not for you though, because Apple. But you can check it out here. https://trails.io/en/
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:48:57 AM »

Got a new one to try this year.

Developed by CO Parks & Wildlife and is FREE.  (And only good for CO)

https://cpw.state.co.us/CTS

Stella

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »

GAIA GPS Pro is supposedly "amazing" on iOS. You also can download GPX tracks for most of 14er routes, plus any trip reports that have GPX files. (Make sure you download the map layers you want for the area you'll be in."

Another source swears by OnX maps.

We'll all be waiting for your reviews.  If we don't see any, we may have to send SAR (which would be a review in and of itself I suppose).   Wink

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »

If we don't see any, we may have to send SAR (which would be a review in and of itself I suppose).   Wink

I might know a few people in that arena... Wink

Pretty confident that should the need arise, I would be in good hands.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: