Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 17, 2024, 10:22:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M900ie vs Multistrada 1100s  (Read 1962 times)
pitbull

« on: May 24, 2017, 05:10:10 AM »

Just for a little context:

I've had my 01 900 for 16 years and 120,000 km's. 4 years ago I picked up a 2001 ST4 and have enjoyed it very much, but recently sold it as even with risers my shoulders don't enjoy the stretched out position compared to the monster. I'm going to miss the acceleration it had on the highway, but other than that I prefer the monster in every other way.

With a 30' inseam, I'm still comfortable touring on the monster and would be fine with it as my only bike, but it doesn't do the job 2-up and my wife still does shorter trips with me, so I need a second bike.

I've been looking at first gen multi's with a few of them for sale locally at decent prices. As much as a Multi 1200 would be awesome, I like the simplicity of the air cooled engine and I'm not looking to spend a big buck on a bike that will mostly sit in the garage unless we're riding 2-up or I take it on my one long trip per year.

If I go that route I'm looking at the multi 1100s with ohlins suspension.

I'd like to hear what anyone has to say, who's owned one or ridden one and how it compared power wise to the 900 monster engine.

Is the approx. 20hp more fairly noticeable? was it comfortable 2-up? how is the windscreen?

I'm asking here as opposed to a multi forum as I'd like the thoughts from those who've come off a monter and can compare it a little.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »

I've not owned one, but I've ridden several for short bits.

Definitely more power than an M900, very noticeable.
No 2-up or windscreen info.

They are quite tall, pillion seat is high, and tail even higher.
I think koko64 has tried one.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:59:52 AM »

I ride a mate's quite a bit. It's a non S model. The midrange torque is very strong and they are a great all rounder and good pillion bike as long as your wife is not put off by a high pillion seat and gap to the rider.  I dont like the feel of the front end, but you are after the S model, so you should be able to adjust that. The bike has a great body but an ugly face often described on the Multi forum as a "depressed cyclops" laughingdp. I found the handlebars too straight and needing more sweep back. A well tuned mutli is very civilized and the torque is creamy. You often get great panniers and there is a glove box.
My bros M900ie with hi comps and intake tuning is faster, but the 1100DS motor has some of the best mid range grunt around and will smash a stock 900. The exhaust cat protects your pillion from high pipe gas poisoning.
Sargent, Corbin and DP make great seats for them. I'm on the balls of my feet at 5'8" and 215 in gear
(weight training like yourself and short inseam). Strangely, my wife didnt like the high pillion seat but the leg room and hip angle are great. I get no screen buffeting but my buddy does at 6'6". He loves the ergos and the bars suit him, but he's a Mantis.
They have a rep as hard starters but setting the air bleeds correctly fixes that. Speeddog and Carlos set them up right. My two customer bikes were pigs to start,  but now start sweet and reliable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:34:36 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
greenmonster

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:03 PM »

Still have my Monster and had a 907IE after that,
both w HC, mild porting etc.
Now on my second MTS1100, an s.
The 1100 is a world apart. The torque is just there all the time.
Smooth and revhappy, the 1100 is THE 2V engine.
All l wanted w my 900 engine mods!

Ergos a bit weird:
Plank saddle, very wide straight bars and feet low & forward,
for a 6f 4" screen gives turbulence. Gives a straight in the wind
position w kinda hanging onto bars at +100 km/h & sore arse.
For me, clipons, rear/up pegs, modded saddle and other screen is
a must. Gives a more in-the-bike feel than straight up feeling.
Curveater who is also fine f touring.
Fun to ride and one of the best handling bike l've tried
and way better than 1st gen Monster.
Has OEM Öhlins now, pretty easy to get a good setup.
Riding position is quite high for rider & pillion but it can be
lowered quite a bit.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:26:54 AM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
pitbull

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »

Thanks for the great responses guys, they were full of excellent and helpful information.

@Greenmonster, you mentioned lowering the seat to get a more "in the bike" feel as opposed to on it. How did you lower it? with a different seat or an actual lowering kit.

@Koko64, it sounds like we're of similar stature and balls of the feet on the ground would be just fine for me.

greenmonster

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 05:07:14 PM »

No lowered seat, just adjusted f more even distribution of pressure
and two cavities, filled w Tempur foam, f my assbones.

The MTS also has a good rear handle f your wife when braking.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:20:54 PM by greenmonster » Logged

M900 -97 
MTS 1100s  -07
pitbull

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:54:35 AM »

No lowered seat, just adjusted f more even distribution of pressure
and two cavities, filled w Tempur foam, f my assbones.

The MTS also has a good rear handle f your wife when braking.

Thanks.

The one I'm looking at has a corbin seat, which looks fairly dished out, but I've had corbins for the monster, ST4 and a Triumph RS and hated all 3.

I've had good luck with sargents and would likely try to find one for the multi, if I pull the trigger on one.

DucRS

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »

I had an 06 1000s. Being of similar height
1. I lowered the bike 1" (Dealer did it, don't remember how)
2. Installed Roho air seat pad
This was by far my favorite bike of all. Sold it and bought and ST4S. After a month or so regreted it badly. I could ride and did ride 1,000 mile days on the Multi.  The ST4S was painful and exhausting despite the extra HP.
If you are looking for a 2 up I wouldn't recommend it. I took the wife a couple of times and It felt wobbly and awkward the driver/passenger seating position is so separated you feel as if she's in another zip code, just weird.

If two up is what you're looking for look into a Diavel, it's what I did  Evil

Black S4RS                               Black Multi S - Sold
Carbon Red Diavel                     ST4S abs - Sold
620 Red.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: