Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 04:30:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel pump isn't priming, what are my next steps?  (Read 7128 times)
garethsmyth88

« on: May 03, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »

hey guys, i have a 2007 ducati monster 695. she won’t start and i have literally no idea why.

when i put in the key, put the bike into neutral and turn the key to the on position all of the dials move, it sounds like the fuel pump primes, the engine light comes on and goes away after a couple of seconds and the oil like comes on.

here is where my problems start, the oil light doesn’t come off. when i turn the kill switch off and hit the starter button the bike cranks but doesn’t turn over and gives up after around 10 seconds.
what might be the problem?

the bike was running 2 days ago and since then it hasn’t moved, i did wash her buts thats it.

also i should probably add, the bike is due a service, which involves an oil change, however the bike does have the correct level of oil.
any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
OwnyTony

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »

low battery?

What do you mean it cranks but doesnt turn over?  Is it clicking when you "crank" it?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:29:34 PM by OwnyTony » Logged
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »

Assuming by "cranks but not turns over" you mean cranks but does not start (cranking and turning over are the same thing) the first thing you should do is fully charge the battery and have it load tested.  If you have a voltmeter you could fully charge the battery and measure voltage drop during cranking.  You may not have sufficient voltage to fire up the computer.  Starter giving up after about 10 seconds is normal.  The starter button is an input to the computer.  The computer keeps the starter from overheating.

Or you could try stating the bike with a known good battery.  A car will work as long as it is not running.  Then ride it to the shop and get the service done.
garethsmyth88

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »

Assuming by "cranks but not turns over" you mean cranks but does not start (cranking and turning over are the same thing) the first thing you should do is fully charge the battery and have it load tested.  If you have a voltmeter you could fully charge the battery and measure voltage drop during cranking.  You may not have sufficient voltage to fire up the computer.  Starter giving up after about 10 seconds is normal.  The starter button is an input to the computer.  The computer keeps the starter from overheating.

Or you could try stating the bike with a known good battery.  A car will work as long as it is not running.  Then ride it to the shop and get the service done.

Hey sorry for the confusion, I'm new to motorcycle so I have a hard time explaining things, here is a video of exactly what the bike is doing

garethsmyth88

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 05:49:06 AM »

low battery?

What do you mean it cranks but doesnt turn over?  Is it clicking when you "crank" it?

Sorry I had a hard time explaining it, here is a video of exactly what the bike is doing

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »

No need to apologize.  My advice stays the same.
garethsmyth88

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »

Hey guys so earlier today I made a post trying to get help with my monster.

I have discovered thg the fuel pump isn't priming and am wondering what are some steps to fix this and also what would have caused this so suddenly?

Thanks in advance
OwnyTony

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »

what Howie said

Also, have you tried giving it some gas while its cranking (twist the throttle, not add gas to gas tank, but check to see if gas is in tank too).  No gas or no spark.  Spark can be low battery, gas can be bad fuel pump, clogged fuel line/filter.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:49:36 PM by OwnyTony » Logged
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »

Fuses ok?

Two relays by the battery box, left side (?) - switch them with each other.

Broken wires on either side of the fuel pump plug?

Broken wires where they connect to the plug in the pump flange?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
OwnyTony

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »

what made you come to the conclusion that it was a bad fuel pump or the pump isnt priming?

it could be a clogged fuel filter.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »

Merged this into the previous thread on the same problem..... coffee

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Charlief

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 02:17:31 AM »

If your fuel pump isn't priming it might be the fuel pump. 

Are you handy at all? Take the fuel pump out and bench test it to see if it works.  If it's not then your fuel pump might be junk.  It if it works then it could be what happened to mine. The wiring harness within the tank is bad. It's a known issue with an easy fix. Your dealer sells a retro fit wiring kit. I swapped mine out and all is well.

If you're not mechanical then have your dealer do it.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »

No need to take anything apart yet.  First step is check fuse #2.  If so, do you have power at the fuel pump relay, brown wire when you turn the key on.  If the answer is yes, remove the relay and jump from the brown wire to the brown/white wire.  Pump now primes?  Either relay or ECU (unlikely)  Pump does not prime? Check for power at the connector under the tank at the brown/white wire.  You need to be fast, you will only have power during that short prime period.  Got power and still doesn't prime?  Either the wire inside the fuel sending unit or the fuel pump.  Now itis time to dive into the tank.
safxzm

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »

Hello garethsmyth88,

I have an '07 695 also and exactly same issue. What was the root cause?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: