Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 03:07:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Robert Pirsig, Author of Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance  (Read 1400 times)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« on: April 24, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »

So it's a tossup whether to put this here or in NMC, because Pirsig himself said in the Author's Note that preceded his best-known book "However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Still, I was saddened to read that Robert M. Pirsig, who wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and several other books on philosophy, passed away today at the age of 88. At it's heart, the book is the story of a motorcycle trip with his son, from Minnesota up over the Rockies in Montana (loaded & two up on the little 305 cc Honda CB77 Super Hawk pictured below  Shocked ) and to San Francisco.  It's a book I go back to every couple of years, and that tends to pop into my head when I'm faced with a particularly vexing mechanical question, as a way of thinking about possible solutions.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

RIP.

2015 Scrambler 800
2004 GSXR 750
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »

I picked that book up out of the blue and read it when I was in high school, or just out of... I was mesmerized.  I'm not much of a deep thinker in the manner of the book, I read it for the face value story.

I tried to read his follow-up to Zen, Lila, and I think my brains were leaking out of my ears by the time I was half way through it.  I understood the gist of it, but it went on... and on...  and on...

Of course, I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in high school, which is also a motorcycle book...

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »

Yeah, Lila is a pretty tough slog; I barely made it through. Maybe because it's centered around a sailboat instead of motorcycles, and those people go on and on about the most unimportant stuff.  Wink

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »

'78 XS650

I had one of those... traded a Toyota GT for it.  Fun bike, scary handling.  I think mine was a '78 as well.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: